PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing guns at Gun Shows in Cali?

b__josh
11-03-2007, 10:21 AM
hey guys. got questions regarding buying Guns at Gun Shows in Cali. There is an upcoming Gun SHow in Del Mar CA in December. I was hoping to get a decent deal deal on my first handgun (9mm semi).

does anyone know what's involved with purchasing a hand gun at a Gun Show? like if there is a 10 day wait still (even though the show is only 2 days?), if so how does that work? or is there anything i should be aware of? like legally? oh can i purchase bulk ammo too? (if it is cheaper than online).

this will be my first Gun Show, so i'll be just scavengering around and see if i can find a decent deal...

thanks in advance

maxicon
11-03-2007, 11:01 AM
There is a 10 day wait, and it's usually handled one of 3 ways:

- The seller has a local shop, and you pick it up there after 10 days.

- There's a local shop that has a booth at the show and will take care of the transfer, and the seller works with them. You have to ask the seller about this as part of the deal, and whether it costs extra.

- There's another show before 30 days is up, the seller will be at that one, and you can pick it up then.

At most gun shows, there are a few deals, but you can often find the same or better prices if you have a good local shop in your area.

The big benefit of a gun show IMO is you get to see and check out a really wide variety of guns at a wide variety of prices.

Fjold
11-03-2007, 11:02 AM
There will be transfer dealers at the show. They will handle the transfer peperwork for you and in ten days you go to their shop to pick up the gun.

Max types faster

JPglee1
11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Handgun will take

A) you being 21 or over
B) you having completed a handgun Safety Certificate aka HSC (FFL can provide, I think they're like $25 and good for 5yrs or something, I dont remember its been a while since I got mine
C) you pay for the gun, they have you fill out a 4473 and do the NCIC background check on you... When everything passes, they tell you "OK" yer approved and you go back to their SHOP to pick up the pistol since the gunshow will be over...

I usually wait eleven days or call and ask because some FFLs make you wait 10 days starting the day of the paper work and some starting the day after or sometimes I even had them make you wait till the next business day (say if its a Saturday show, they start their 10days on monday...)

If its your 1st show, expect lots of beef jerkey, useless crap, incredibly over priced (sometimes airsoft) AR15 parts, prices on guns MUCH higher than you'd see in Shotgun News and lots of airsoft...

On the PLUS side, there are usually decent and sometimes downright cheap ammo (no shipping so that saves too) there are knives, sometimes quite a few pre-57 long arms (Which means no waiting for 10days... rifles/shotguns made before 1957 can be sold face to face right at the show...)

Thats basically all I can add, have fun and hope it helps

JP

mike452
11-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Everything is legal and you have the 10 day wait. The dealer selling you the gun will start the DROS paper at the show and start the 10 day wait period.
The thing I hate is that you will have to go to their store to pickup the gun after 10 days.

I purchased my first 1911 at the show and didn't know jack back then. The dealer told me he was going to give me a new handgun, but it was the display gun at the show when I pickup. Wasn't happy with that!

There are only OK deals at the show. Most guns are near retail.

b__josh
11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
thanks for all the quick replies guy. sounds like i should just hang out at my local gun range where i shoot at and get to know the guys tehre, maybe i'll get a good deal since i shoot there pretty often (i rent their guns).

but i think i'll check out the show anyway.. just to see what its all about.

thx!

Blue
11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
thanks for all the quick replies guy. sounds like i should just hang out at my local gun range where i shoot at and get to know the guys tehre, maybe i'll get a good deal since i shoot there pretty often (i rent their guns).

but i think i'll check out the show anyway.. just to see what its all about.

thx!

Local gun range is a good place. The place where I shoot is also a gun shop and they normally have something cool in their used cabinet. They also had a big sale last year where they sold one of their rental Glocks (gone through by Glock at the factory but I'm still sure it had like a million rounds through it) for like $325.

DesertRunner
11-03-2007, 2:38 PM
Local gun range is a good place. The place where I shoot is also a gun shop and they normally have something cool in their used cabinet. They also had a big sale last year where they sold one of their rental Glocks (gone through by Glock at the factory but I'm still sure it had like a million rounds through it) for like $325.

Yep,my local gun range had some sweet deals on rentals a while back.Two S&W 44 mag for $329 each and a Kimber custom II for $4-500 cant remember exactly how much the Kimber was.

Needless to say though i kick myself for not buying one of the S&W revolvers...Killer deal.

cyberhh
11-03-2007, 8:47 PM
In addition to understanding the procedure to buy a gun at a gun show, I would also advise researching the gun(s) that you want, visiting your local gun store and having an excellent handle on the retail cost of the gun.

There are exceptions, but for the most part the vendors at the Crossroads of the West show in Orange County is $10 - 15% higher than my local gun stores. There are some excellent deals to be had, but only education will lead you to those, and away from the bulk.

Keep in mind also that if you are at the gun show and have the opportunity to save 20-40$ on a $500+ purchase, your local gun store might still be the place to go, there are some advantages to paying retail and supporting the local business - you get it in 10 days from a local dealer and you have begun to establish a relationship with that dealer.

Now if we are talking Ammo and Accessories there are some excellent deals to be had at the gun show. I have consistently done better at the show than I can do in retail (if any store happened to carry some of the items) AND normally I get a better deal than if I had bought online (again, this comes from knowing what you are looking for and how much it costs.)

sholling
11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Just be sure to shop around before buying. That includes before buying at your local range. I know of at least one that charges 100% of manufacturer's suggested retail prices for everything while telling you what a great deal you're getting.