PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Wilson Combat Magazine in my 1911

What Just Happened?
11-02-2007, 9:41 PM
Hi,

I just picked up my Springfield Armory SS Mil-spec last weekend. I wanted to go get some more magazines as I'm looking to get into action shooting. I stopped by a nearby gun store to look at the 1911 mags they have in stock. Since the Mec-Gar and the CMC didn't have skirts on their followers, I decided to go with the Wilson Combat 8 round stainless steel (P/N 47D). i go home and want to try it out (unloaded and far away from live ammunition, of course). I go to pop in the 47D and it stops half way in. Upon further inspection, the top of the magazine hits the bottom of my magazine release.

I take a look at the magazines that came with my SA and notice that at the top of the metal frame of the magazine, the tip is slightly curved inward right above where the notch for the magazine release catches.

This problem is present in both of the two 47D's I bought, so I assume that it's not a single magazine QA issue.

Is this a known issue that I'm not aware of?

If so, are there any other issues that I should be aware of in purchasing magazines for my 1911?

Any further thoughts?

Thanks in advance

*edit*

Found out that I wasn't giving my magazine a firm enough push when inserting it. Instead of being too soft when shooting, I'm too soft when reloading. *frown*

oghl888
11-03-2007, 3:26 PM
Wilson 47D's work in all my 1911's. Just to make sure it's not the mags, try a few more mags from your friends. If they all have the same issue, then it's the gun.

Blue
11-03-2007, 3:35 PM
Wilson 47D's work in all my 1911's. If they all have the same issue, then it's the gun.

+1 they work in my Colt and in my Springfield.

U2BassAce
11-03-2007, 6:12 PM
They do that on my Kimbers. Give it a little knock and it goes right through the resistance. Don't baby them.

bwiese
11-03-2007, 6:33 PM
From my and quite a few others' experience with Sprinfield pistols, you should throw away the factory magazines that came with the gun.

If Wilsons work for you (now that you're inserting 'em firmly) go for it.

Personally, I get Colt-marked mags or MecGars for my 1911 gov't models and for my Springer Ultra Compact (Officer's ACP equivalent).

oghl888
11-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Personally, I get Colt-marked mags or MecGars for my 1911 gov't models and for my Springer Ultra Compact (Officer's ACP equivalent).

MecGars, really? I have 3 10 rounders that have given me nothing but trouble.