PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Help

flyinghi
11-02-2007, 5:36 PM
Hi Guys. I am looking for some help with my Kimber CDP II. The gun has 400 rnds. down the tube and shows some weird scale like markings on the top and side of the barrel. Of course this is leading to rusting. I keep it in the standard kimber plastic box and just today put some desiccant in the box to try and stop this.

I talked with the shop that sold it to me and they said it was completely normal and they get new guns in all the time with these kinds of markings. They said to put more lube on the bbl (even though i put the directed amount on).

The weird thing to me is it does not look like normal slide wear: lateral "scrapes" where the slide would contact the bbl. Any thoughts or opinions? Anybody else have this happen to them? :confused:

gn3hz3ku1*
11-02-2007, 5:42 PM
are you linking from your HD?

flyinghi
11-02-2007, 5:47 PM
Side question: How do you load pics. straight into a thread?

aileron
11-02-2007, 6:22 PM
use the img html block with the url to your image in the middle. Like so.

my URL to image goes here

CalGunZ
11-02-2007, 6:27 PM
wow! i currently have 3 kimber (supermatch, cdp 2, ultra elite) and never seen rust like that before, maybe you should contact kimber.

Bongos
11-02-2007, 7:18 PM
That is not normal, the shop is BS

gmcal
11-02-2007, 7:47 PM
That is not normal. Is there any rust inside the slide? Have you tried some gun oil and .0000 steel wool? That has worked for me in the past, although I didn't have as much rust to deal with. If that doesn't work, as mentioned, contact Kimber to see if they can help. Another option is to try http://robarguns.com/ and have them NP3 the barrel. I had them NP3/Rogaurd my Kimber, I didn't have a rust issue though, and have been very satisfied. NP3 is the gray color coating.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1015/p1010029noserialwd4.jpg

Fjold
11-02-2007, 7:51 PM
I have 50 year old Colt and Brazilian contract barrels that do not rust like that! I have barrels that have been laying in cardboard boxes with a bunch of odd parts for over 15 years that don't have spot of rust on them.

If that's "normal" for a Kimber, I'll never purchase one.

mike100
11-02-2007, 7:58 PM
pretty strange, really. I have a 15 year old colt bbl that I polished the blueing off of and just keep it lightly lubed. scuffed and rubbed from the action's movement, but no weird oxidation.

neomentat
11-02-2007, 8:29 PM
wow that looks weird, kind of look like rust but it could be something else. can you rub it off by polishing?

arfan66
11-02-2007, 9:07 PM
I would call Kimber and let them know about your problem. The barrel could have been improperly heat treated and/or made with a bad batch of steel which might explain the scale & corrosion. Good luck and let us know what Kimber says about this.

Jeff

flyinghi
11-03-2007, 10:49 AM
That is not normal. Is there any rust inside the slide? Have you tried some gun oil and .0000 steel wool? That has worked for me in the past, although I didn't have as much rust to deal with. If that doesn't work, as mentioned, contact Kimber to see if they can help. Another option is to try http://robarguns.com/ and have them NP3 the barrel. I had them NP3/Rogaurd my Kimber, I didn't have a rust issue though, and have been very satisfied. NP3 is the gray color coating.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1015/p1010029noserialwd4.jpg

There is no rust on the slide.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I had a feeling the shop was trying to pull the wool over my eyes! :mad:

I will give Kimber a call on monday and give an update then.

cho034442
11-03-2007, 7:43 PM
I have seen similar rust from another member, but not sure if it was from this forum. If Kimber could not help you , try to rid the rust with the finest steel wool and oil, use Gun Scrub after that and then lube with a thin coat of oil again. You would need to get the rust off completely, otherwise it would come back.

flyinghi
11-05-2007, 8:11 AM
I would call Kimber and let them know about your problem. The barrel could have been improperly heat treated and/or made with a bad batch of steel which might explain the scale & corrosion. Good luck and let us know what Kimber says about this.

Jeff

I just talked with Dennis in the custom shop and he seemed to think that the it is a lack of lube on the bbl. I let him know that I was using the hopp's oil and he made sure that I get something with teflon in it. He didn't like hearing that it could be a bad batch of stainless. He will take the bbl back, take a look, and refinish it. If it is a bigger problem, he will make another one.

Pretty helpful over all and at least willing to fix the problem.

Black Majik
11-05-2007, 8:37 AM
I just talked with Dennis in the custom shop and he seemed to think that the it is a lack of lube on the bbl. I let him know that I was using the hopp's oil and he made sure that I get something with teflon in it. He didn't like hearing that it could be a bad batch of stainless. He will take the bbl back, take a look, and refinish it. If it is a bigger problem, he will make another one.

Pretty helpful over all and at least willing to fix the problem.

Good to hear Kimber will take care of you. I gotta agree with the others, that's definitely not normal. Wow..

bountyhunter
11-06-2007, 1:25 PM
I just talked with Dennis in the custom shop and he seemed to think that the it is a lack of lube on the bbl. I suppose he could argue that enough oil could prevent rust....

I let him know that I was using the hopp's oil and he made sure that I get something with teflon in it. baloney!

He didn't like hearing that it could be a bad batch of stainless. Kimber stainless barrels are known to rust, but yours is the worst I've seen. Stainless barrels and slides have to have their steel formulas dissimilar so they don't gall. The slides are usually harder than the barrels. But, bottom line, some gun "stainless" is highly prone to rust as you just found out.

There is a heavy lube called "RIG +p" for stainless which is excellent and will stop the rusting. brownells carries it.

He will take the bbl back, take a look, and refinish it. What finish? It's s stainless barrel, all they have to do is bead blast the thing.

Pretty helpful over all and at least willing to fix the problem. OK. If all they do is clean the rust off, make sure to keep that sucker coated with something or it will rust up again.

cho034442
11-06-2007, 2:44 PM
Just would like to point out that according to Kimber's web site, the CDP II's barrel is steel not stainless steel :)
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/cdp/compactcdp.php

CWM4A1
11-06-2007, 3:06 PM
Although Kimber's barrel seems like stainless, most are not unless they specifically said it is. I've had similar problem with my first generation Custom Eclipse II. Never have the same problem with my Gold Combat II which Kimber said it uses Stainless barrel from their website.

Fine steel wool, CLP with brush, Lead-away wipe, whatever you need to get the rust off; coated with oil and you will be fine.

The scrap mark on the barrel is from slide. Any browning action pistol will have similar mark. Take a look at my P239 you will know what I mean:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cwm4a1/images/P239.JPG

Clean the rust off and shoot the crap out of your Kimber, it will be fine.

flyinghi
11-06-2007, 9:31 PM
Thanks for all the help. I did clean the bbl and the rust did come off (of course) but the scaling remains and is what has me worried. I will see what Kimber says when they get it.

flyinghi
11-08-2007, 3:28 PM
Well, Kimber got the barrel and took a look. They said they will replace the bbl all together. When asked the problem, the lady said she was not the one who inspected it and would "look into it". :confused: Well, at least they are replacing it. :cool2:

flyinghi
11-14-2007, 5:31 PM
I just recieved the CDP back from Kimber with a new barrel fit and finished into the piece. The whole piece is like new. Although it was a bit pricey to ship, they were pretty fast and helpful! I am glad to have it back! :)