PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to leave a handgun in the car?

glockwitknocks
11-02-2007, 8:17 AM
thanks for the help guys

Citadelgrad87
11-02-2007, 8:22 AM
Legally and practically, no.

I believe that transport is restriced to "to and from" llegitimate shooting activities. Others, particularly BWeise, will be able to cite specifics.

I'd be far more concerned, however, with theft, which has become so rampant in modern society.

hitman13
11-02-2007, 9:03 AM
1. buy a "range bag"
2. buy ammo.
3. load range bag.
4. carry in vehicle, as now you can be going to and from shooting activites.

is it legal? idk, ianal. do i do it? occasionally.

BillCA
11-02-2007, 9:18 AM
Define "leave it in a car".

California law essentially says you can transport it to/from a range, to/from a gunshop/gunsmith, to/from hunting activities, to/from a second home or friend's home. Basically, you just can't cruise around with it in your car all the time.

Weigh the risk of your car being stolen or broken into by theives against your need to have it handy. My first worry is theft from the vehicle and rest assured the PD may very well ask why you were carrying a gun in the vehicle.

Cars are stolen at all hours of the day. It seems most break-ins are done at night or in large parking lots (office, malls, etc.). Even on an alarmed car, items inside can be snatched in as little as 20 seconds. So, overnight, make sure it goes into the house with you.

yellowsulphur
11-02-2007, 9:55 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73865

Capita159
11-02-2007, 3:17 PM
From all the crazy people out there, I sometimes wish I had a gun in the car. Most of the time I hope they don't follow me home and they don't. All I know is that if I had a handgun in the car, I wouldn't be repling to this thread.

Why do you want to leave your gun in your car in the first place?

CalGunZ
11-02-2007, 6:32 PM
I leave my gun in my car all the time- I have one of those safe where it is secured to the car, and have a viper alarm.

btw- I work as a secure guard.

11-02-2007, 6:56 PM
I wouldn't leave it in there just for fear of it being stolen. Too many cars get broken into or stolen regardless if you have an alarm or not.

glockwitknocks
11-02-2007, 8:03 PM
From all the crazy people out there, I sometimes wish I had a gun in the car. Most of the time I hope they don't follow me home and they don't. All I know is that if I had a handgun in the car, I wouldn't be repling to this thread.

Why do you want to leave your gun in your car in the first place?

for example i went to the range then after that i decided to go watch a movie or go malling is it legal to leave the handgun in the car for a couple of hours?

redrover
11-02-2007, 8:07 PM
Yes, it's legal to leave a gun in the car while it's in a locked container. Locked meaning doors locked and gun in the trunk (not trunk of a hatchback).

but...I don't leave my wallet in the car so I don't plan on leaving anything that a thief might get his hands on.

Capita159
11-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Yes, it's legal to leave a gun in the car while it's in a locked container. Locked meaning doors locked and gun in the trunk (not trunk of a hatchback).

but...I don't leave my wallet in the car so I don't plan on leaving anything that a thief might get his hands on.

+1

I wish we can have .50BMG mounted on the car but shiet, I wouldn't want to be hit by one so thank God that isn't an option.
I thought about appling to carry since I'm a small business owner that has to deal with money sometime, but I'm afraid my customers might get scare if they saw me carring a gun when they're trying to buy a cake. :leaving:

Buckelew
11-02-2007, 11:22 PM
it's only OK if you're Sean Penn.

Capita159
11-03-2007, 3:47 AM
:21: It use to be okay for Robert Blake as well.

doctor_vals
11-03-2007, 6:14 AM
Define "leave it in a car".

California law essentially says you can transport it to/from a range, to/from a gunshop/gunsmith, to/from hunting activities, to/from a second home or friend's home. Basically, you just can't cruise around with it in your car all the time.

Weigh the risk of your car being stolen or broken into by theives against your need to have it handy. My first worry is theft from the vehicle and rest assured the PD may very well ask why you were carrying a gun in the vehicle.

Cars are stolen at all hours of the day. It seems most break-ins are done at night or in large parking lots (office, malls, etc.). Even on an alarmed car, items inside can be snatched in as little as 20 seconds. So, overnight, make sure it goes into the house with you.

For example I am going from North to LA area to the shooting range.
And in the middle of road I want to eat and go to the restaurant for a 1.5 -2 hours, or even better - I almost fall in sleep and want to stay in motel for a few (4-5) hours. I am not sure that I will bring rifle cases to the restaurant and maybe not to the motel room (you never know who is watching you).

Rob454
11-03-2007, 7:59 AM
I'd be far more concerned, however, with theft, which has become so rampant in modern society.

That would be my reason not to leave a gun in a car.

metalhead357
11-03-2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73865

+100000

already being debated to death. I still says it needs a legal destination & cant be just left in there............

Gasless
11-03-2007, 8:46 PM
Im get more woried about my gun getting stolen then my car.