PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! PTR 91 HK 91 or G3 owners

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a problem, I was cleaning my PTR 91 for the first time tonight (after a great day of shooting) and I took out the part that seems to help the blow back system (the one that has the firing pin/assembly attached to it. When I took it out the firing assembly was 1/4 of an inch away from rest of the blow back system. I think I cocked it accidentally because it is now in the cocked position and I can't put it back into the receiver. These rollers on each side prevent me from putting it back into its right position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pictures to follow.

savasyn
11-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Hang tight, I'm typing up a response for you.

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Hang tight, I'm typing up a response for you.

thank you!!!!!

Pictures below:

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/HARDCASE1977/?action=view&current=Picture208.jpg

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa30/HARDCASE1977/?action=view&current=Picture207.jpg

savasyn
11-01-2007, 11:02 PM
Turn the bolt 90 degrees counterclockwise(when looking at the bolt face) again as if you were going to pull it off. This may take some force, but it'll turn.

Once there, pull it a 1/4 inch forward. This may also take a small amount of force.

Twist the bolt back 90 degrees clockwise and you are done. Again, it may take a bit a force, but not that much.

ETA: It helps to use a rag or paper towel when turning the bolt.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Turn the bolt 90 degrees counterclockwise(when looking at the bolt face) again as if you were going to pull it off. This may take some force, but it'll turn.

Once there, pull it a 1/4 inch forward. This may also take a small amount of force.

Twist the bolt back 90 degrees clockwise and you are done. Again, it may take a bit a force, but not that much.

ETA: It helps to use a rag or paper towel when turning the bolt.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Sweet thanks...trying it now

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
should it be loose after i do that?
rollers are back in now just can't get it back on now?

savasyn
11-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Should what be loose? Only the rollers should be moving freely. The bolt should be tight and locked into its forward-most position.

Can't get what back on what?

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:18 PM
When I did what you said it worked fine, the rollers went down, but I accidentally removed the bolt and the somethat was spring loaded came out because I turned it too much. Can I put that back in wrong it seems to go in only one way? Also, there is some sorta catch lever keeping me from push the bolt assmebly back it, do I need to pull that to the side soe I can put the bolt in?

Damn now the catch lever thing is stuck :(

savasyn
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Ah.
Note that when the bolt is installed correctly, there is a slight ramp at the back on the bottom.
Slide the bolt onto the firing pin but turn the bolt counter clockwise enough so that that ramp is touching the springloaded arm.

Using the heal of your hand, pop th bolt hard enough so it clears the arm. This will get you back into the condition you started with, with the bolt to the rear but turned a bit. Using the rag again for leverage, twist the bolt clockwise with a bit of force. It'll pop over into the position you need to be working in. Make sure you don't get the rag caught under the bolt!

Gently slide the bolt forward a 1/4 inch so that when you twist it 90 degrees clockwise again, the rear lug of the bolt is captured by the front lug of the bolt carrier.

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Ah.
Note that when the bolt is installed correctly, there is a slight ramp at the back on the bottom.
Slide the bolt onto the firing pin but turn the bolt counter clockwise enough so that that ramp is touching the springloaded arm.

Using the heal of your hand, pop th bolt hard enough so it clears the arm. This will get you back into the condition you started with, with the bolt to the rear but turned a bit. Using the rag again for leverage, twist the bolt clockwise with a bit of force. It'll pop over into the position you need to be working in. Make sure you don't get the rag caught under the bolt!

Gently slide the bolt forward a 1/4 inch so that when you twist it 90 degrees clockwise again, the rear lug of the bolt is captured by the front lug of the bolt carrier.

i can't push it in because the ejector spring and ejector lever is stock, what could cause this, it was working a second ago?

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Phew got it back to where it was....is it possible for me to put this back in wrong or is it idiot proof? Seems like you can only go the way it was meant to go. Also, thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it. I would like to add you as a friend for future education.

Thanks,
POINT

xsquid
11-01-2007, 11:38 PM
This should help you http://www.mg-42.net/G3_diss.htm

savasyn
11-01-2007, 11:40 PM
You mean that heavily sprung arm that captures the back of the bolt?

Do you have the ramped part of the bolt turned enough to line up with it? By the ramped part, I mean the sloping surface that is at the top in the first picture you posted. If you line that up with the spring loaded arm and pop the bolt hard enough with the palm of you hand, it'll go right on.

savasyn
11-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Cool, do you have it where it needs to be now to complete the assembly of the rifle?

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Cool, do you have it where it needs to be now to complete the assembly of the rifle?

Yeah I just got done reasembling it and dry fired it and it seems like it is where it was. Thanks for your help again, glad your a member.

POINTMANDDT
11-01-2007, 11:51 PM
This should help you http://www.mg-42.net/G3_diss.htm

Just added the link thanks

savasyn
11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
No problem, glad to help!
Now you'll never forget how to put that sucker back on :)

saki302
11-04-2007, 3:09 AM
They make a tool to press in the lever which retains the bolt too- I don't have one myself, but it's supposed to make life much easier when working on them.

I too did what you did, but I (carefully) used a punch to depress the lever to release the bolt head to travel forwards. Yes, it takes a lot of force :D

-Dave

shonc99
12-05-2007, 9:59 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but,

The EASIEST and SIMPLEST method to retract the rollers if they have locked out is to drop the carrier into the receiver BACKWARDS. That will pop them out (moves bolt forward) Then remove and put in normally.

It doesn't hurt anything and requires no tool

EDIT: This method does no more damage to the bolt or receiver than the normal cycling of the weapon.

SemiAutoSam
12-06-2007, 8:39 AM
In the case you cannot find this specific tool there is always a medium sized pair of channel lock pliers with some masking or electrical tape wrapped around the tips where they make contact with the bolt carrier.

They make a tool to press in the lever which retains the bolt too- I don't have one myself, but it's supposed to make life much easier when working on them.

I too did what you did, but I (carefully) used a punch to depress the lever to release the bolt head to travel forwards. Yes, it takes a lot of force :D

-Dave