PDA

View Full Version : Mag Well Question for the 1911 Experts

8200rpm
11-01-2007, 7:45 PM
Is Smith Alexander really the only company doing a one piece mag well MSH? Even Ed Brown and Les Baer use a two-piece design.

I just installed a Kimber mag well, and I noticed an allen screw at the bottom of the mag funnel. I'm guessing this is what holds the mag funnel to the MSH? Kinda cheesy, but not as cheesy as the plastic MSH it replaced.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8914/magwellzi4.jpg

Kruzr
11-01-2007, 7:56 PM
If you were to take that allen head screw out, you would find that the magwell is held in place by a "dovetail" cut in the mainspring housing. The bottom funnel part fits into the groove in the MSH part and then there is the additional screw you see. If the MSH is in the gun, the funnel can't fall off if the screw falls out. It might wobble a bit but to get it out, you would need to slide the MSH down a bit.

Make sure you check that the push rod for the Series II safety is still flush with the frame. If it's sticking up at all, it will make the slide catch when you try to remove it.

(The fix is to file a little off the faces of the tabs of the grip safety stops on top of the MSH so the GS sits back a tiny bit more.)

8200rpm
11-01-2007, 8:27 PM
Make sure you check that the push rod for the Series II safety is still flush with the frame. If it's sticking up at all, it will make the slide catch when you try to remove it.

No problems here. She's a dangerous, sans firing pin block, Series I.:D

Thanks for the info on the MSH design.

The plastic MSH got pretty buggered when the mainspring retaining pin was punched out. The force of the mainspring drove the retaining pin into side of the hole and oblongated the hole. The original plastic MSH went into the trash were it belongs.

Thanks again!

Miltiades
11-02-2007, 7:13 AM
Is Smith Alexander really the only company doing a one piece mag well MSH? Even Ed Brown and Les Baer use a two-piece design.

I have read elsewhere and on the S&A website that S&A has a patent on the one piece MSH/magwell design. So the other companies can't make a one piece magwell without infringing on the S&A patent and risking a lawsuit.