PDA

View Full Version : Demilling parts kit SUCKS!!!!

bobfried
11-01-2007, 3:51 PM
I just finished demilling my Bulgarian Parts kit and boy did it suck. Thank God for drill presses, vises and gear pullers. The hardest part was removing the barrel with the gear puller whilst the most harrowing part was using the same puller for the barrel pin.

Everything's clean and the major parts are drying with a fresh coat of ceramic paint as we speak. I am still a bit hesitant to think how hard it will be putting it all back next month.

Anyone else with exciting de-milling tales?

AJAX22
11-01-2007, 3:53 PM
How are you using a gear puller to de-mill it?

ar15barrels
11-01-2007, 4:11 PM
How are you using a gear puller to de-mill it?

Very carefully. ;)

bobfried
11-01-2007, 4:23 PM
HAHA ,yes, very carefully.

I removed the barrel pin by using a vise and a some little tools I had laying around, it was alot of praying and turning.

The gear puller (2 legs) was than used to punch out the barrel with 3 pennies inserted for good luck of course. All in all it came out half way decent, nothing really got banged up and all the holes are still where they're supposed to be. My flat and US trigger just showed up so I'm going to do some pre fitting tonight.

thedrickel
11-01-2007, 4:25 PM
I use a pulley puller to get the barrel out about halfway and then just pound it out. Gotta be careful not to thread the trunnion lugs tho.

Dump1567
11-01-2007, 7:37 PM
Demilling parts kit SUCKS!!!!

I here that. :ack2:
I just did a Romy G kit. Went the screw build route so no barrel removal. It looks good, but don't know how long it will hold-up. Definetly a PITA. I won't do another. I'll pay to have it done right.

jumbopanda
11-01-2007, 7:53 PM
I just hate doing the trigger guard...removing those rivets is a serious pain.

Utha Schleigle
11-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Witch gear puller did you use and are you going to bake your painted parts. Did you sand blast or sand - wire wheel parts. The prep of parts might be your best clue in how well the paint will endure.

bobfried
11-02-2007, 5:30 PM
Witch gear puller did you use and are you going to bake your painted parts. Did you sand blast or sand - wire wheel parts. The prep of parts might be your best clue in how well the paint will endure.

I just use the one they had for loan from Autozone, a big ole piece. I will bake it when I get to the barreled receiver stage. I figure a month of curing for the parts kit should be enough, than prep and paint the receiver and bake the whole shebang.

Paint should not endure, I want my paint to chip, flake, get worn off. I don't like Duracoat or any of those "durable" finish. To me nothing beats a good base surface (parkerized etc.) with paint on top that will wear away with use and can be removed when needed.

robitrocks
11-04-2007, 6:34 AM
Demilling parts kit SUCKS!!!
No kidding.
I just finished a Romy G kit. Drilling out the trigger guard is a pain! I ended up doing a screw build, and forgot to tap the holes in the trunion before popping the barrel back on. Had to do it twice. :90: I found the easiest way to re-install the barrel was to freeze it first and then heat up the trunion with a propane torch. Slips on much easier.

Sam Hainn
11-04-2007, 8:49 AM
I hear of people rigging up gear pullers to do it and it doesn't sound like the best option. The link below had been posted here on Calguns inthe past and offers good info on demilling and building an AK with simple tools:

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm

The method shown for removing the barrel is quite simple. Still a pain but easier.

vandal
11-04-2007, 8:25 PM
For removing rivets I am using a .25" end mill in a drill press. Grinds the rivet heads right off. To do the trigger guard I use this end mill from the top -- inside the receiver.

I bought the Harbor Freight 20-ton press and boy does it make everything easy.

bobfried
11-08-2007, 2:26 PM
I hear of people rigging up gear pullers to do it and it doesn't sound like the best option. The link below had been posted here on Calguns inthe past and offers good info on demilling and building an AK with simple tools:

http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm

The method shown for removing the barrel is quite simple. Still a pain but easier.

I've used both methods now and the gear puller is by far MUCH easier and IMO much safer for the kit and my own safety. The chance of me buggering something up quadrouples when using the above method and is reduced to almost nill when using a gear puller. I use the instructions posted here for the gear puller method:

http://howtobuildanaktyperifle.com/preparing_parts_the_kit.htm

Lon Moer
11-08-2007, 6:37 PM
I used to think that de-milling AK kits was a PITA, then I did the de-mill on two G3 kits and a CETME kit one sat.:nuts::wacko: I had cutting wheel dust coming out of my nose, and was hacking up black goofballs, for two days :ack2::puke:
The AKs aren't so bad. ;)

FEDUPWBS
11-08-2007, 7:47 PM
Starting these in the morning:(
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/fedupwbs/kits002.jpg

jumbopanda
11-08-2007, 8:22 PM
Removing the barrel and peeling the receiver stub isn't too bad. But the thought of ever having to do that many rear trunnions, and worse yet, trigger guards, makes me want to :willy_nilly:

Gator Monroe
11-08-2007, 8:29 PM
Starting these in the morning:(
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/fedupwbs/kits002.jpg

I want the 12th one from the right (Will pay extra ) PM me with info and price !

FEDUPWBS
11-08-2007, 9:42 PM
Removing the barrel and peeling the receiver stub isn't too bad. But the thought of ever having to do that many rear trunnions, and worse yet, trigger guards, makes me want to :willy_nilly:

I HATE REAR TRUNNIONS:(. Trigger guards are simple w/ the akbuilder drill jig:). Barrel pins are no prob with a pin buster and backing plate. Did I mention hating rear trunnions?

12th from the right is the same as all the rest , they are all unfired.

Charliegone
11-09-2007, 8:20 AM
No kidding.
I just finished a Romy G kit. Drilling out the trigger guard is a pain! I ended up doing a screw build, and forgot to tap the holes in the trunion before popping the barrel back on. Had to do it twice. :90: I found the easiest way to re-install the barrel was to freeze it first and then heat up the trunion with a propane torch. Slips on much easier.

Pulling and a lot of banging works well for the trigger guard. The trunnions (front and back) are pretty easy with a cobalt drill (and lots of cutting oil).:D

cartman
11-09-2007, 5:36 PM
my first build i bent the barrel and ripped the bullet feeder off the front trunniontrying to put the barrel back in place. It takes patience but its so worth it the first time you fire it and it doesn't blow up.