PDA

View Full Version : Please help a 1st time hunter in Bakersfield

Saleen_Cobra
10-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Id like to go hunting, its one of the few shooting sports I havnt done. I guess the first place to go is a hunters safety course. Where would you recomend I go, and where to from there?

I really know next to nothing about hunting. Im new to Bakersfield, and I love the outdoors, I love shooting, and I love meat, so I think a hunting trip is a good idea.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ko1featherweigh
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
i am in the exact situation as you. I'm planning to take the safety course soon, then try hunting here is a list of where you can go to take the course
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes.aspx

Danield
11-01-2007, 8:26 AM
i've never gone hunting either, but i would love to give it a "shot". i dont even know where to start though, anyone near san bernardino county that hunts and would be willing to help out?

Das Dude
11-01-2007, 1:40 PM
I guys, I have been a deer hunter for a long time, and you may not care for
my recomendations, but here goes: Is it for deer or which bird or other
mammal?

If its for deer, its kinda late for California now, especially with no safety
course completed at this point. So if you move quickly, check out hunting
in the Mid West states, its great, success far better than California etc.

In the Southern states, seasons run thru Jan in some of them. Some have 1
per day take rates, Alabama etc.

I and some friends are heading out for Pine Ridge Unit in NW Nebraska on the
6th nov for a season that begins the 17th, goes thru the 25th. Awesome
kill success there. Was there 2000 & 2001, our party did well.

I used to hunt east of Delano-Bakersfield years ago, 1950s, up by Lake
Isabella, no clue how it is there these days. It was HOT, dusty and dry.

California overall for deer is on the low success side of the scale. License
sales are declining for several years now, for those of you on the board who
don't care for these remarks, its OK. Fish and Game have been admitting it
for years.

Wherever, go for it and may you be successful.

Das Dude, Psalm 1

AfricanHunter
11-02-2007, 8:42 AM
Anyone thinking about taking a hunter ed course, do yourself a favor and do the online portion with the 4 hour class. It is much easier. Basically you study at home and take an online test at this website;

http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca/

Then you sign up for a 4 hour class (mine took an hour and a half) to get your hunter ed card. You can see the available 4 hour classes here;

You can go with this method or the standard class but some of the normal classes are 12+ hours which can be a bit off putting for a new hunter.

As was said by Das Dude, deer hunting in this state is a low success proposition unless you have access to very good private land and/or you are willing to pay for a guide (and access to land). Pig hunting is easier in some ways but also a guide/private land will help you out quite a bit if being successful is very important to you. There are a few guides and high fence pig operations in CA that have good reputations. Drop me a pm if you want some suggestions.

Going out of state is a very good option. If you are not going to pay for a guide, this will require a good bit of research but is definitely doable and success rates can be pretty good depending where you go.

Some questions to answer that would help with giving better advice;

Are you just lookingt to hunt anything and everything or do certain things interest you more then others?

Do you want to hire a guide to increase your chances of success or are you just looking to get out and spend some time in the wilderness?

Saleen_Cobra
11-03-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks for the info,

A guide would probably be best for the first time, that way I would find out what a successfull hunt is like. I really dont have any preference as to what kind of hunting, just not any fowl, as I dont have a suitable shotgun. I heard awhile back about a family owned ranch somewhere in Tulare I think, that does weekend camping/hunting deals. I know theres some places here in Kern county, I think in Tejon Ranch. Maybe Ill just ask around next time Im at the range.

Anyone thinking about taking a hunter ed course, do yourself a favor and do the online portion with the 4 hour class. It is much easier. Basically you study at home and take an online test at this website;

Then you sign up for a 4 hour class (mine took an hour and a half) to get your hunter ed card. You can see the available 4 hour classes here;

You can go with this method or the standard class but some of the normal classes are 12+ hours which can be a bit off putting for a new hunter.

As was said by Das Dude, deer hunting in this state is a low success proposition unless you have access to very good private land and/or you are willing to pay for a guide (and access to land). Pig hunting is easier in some ways but also a guide/private land will help you out quite a bit if being successful is very important to you. There are a few guides and high fence pig operations in CA that have good reputations. Drop me a pm if you want some suggestions.

Going out of state is a very good option. If you are not going to pay for a guide, this will require a good bit of research but is definitely doable and success rates can be pretty good depending where you go.

Some questions to answer that would help with giving better advice;

Are you just lookingt to hunt anything and everything or do certain things interest you more then others?

Do you want to hire a guide to increase your chances of success or are you just looking to get out and spend some time in the wilderness?

duenor
11-04-2007, 2:10 PM
count me in if you guys want to go late nov or early dec.
I have never hunting a thing - I come from a farming family line that goes back about four generations. about the only hunting we ever did was trap birds and slingshot rabbits.

I'll go take the hunter ed course this week.

glockman19
11-04-2007, 2:15 PM
I took my hunter safety calss @ Angeles Shooting Range $10.

I'd love to plan a pig hnut in Feb or March @ Tajon Ranch. If I can get 21+ people to participate the cost is $450 per person.

shinigami
11-04-2007, 8:36 PM
I just finished my Hunter Ed. at Chabot yesterday (Sat. 11/03), it was a one day class (6am-8pm). I would agree with the part that it can be a bit intensive. All you need to do is pass the test and they give you your certificate.Then you can just get your license afterwards.

It was $15 for the class and they only have it once a month (every first saturday of the month). They had 4 people that did the lecture (cool guys!)

Hunter
11-05-2007, 7:10 AM
....I and some friends are heading out for Pine Ridge Unit in NW Nebraska on the
6th nov for a season that begins the 17th, goes thru the 25th.....

If I was you, I wouldn't wait until the 17th to shoot. Season actually starts on the 10th and closes on the 18th. However, archery season does resume on the 19th thru Dec 31st.

AfricanHunter
11-05-2007, 8:32 AM
Glockman,

Sent you a pm about the pig hunt, did you get it?

AfricanHunter
11-05-2007, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the info,

A guide would probably be best for the first time, that way I would find out what a successfull hunt is like. I really dont have any preference as to what kind of hunting, just not any fowl, as I dont have a suitable shotgun. I heard awhile back about a family owned ranch somewhere in Tulare I think, that does weekend camping/hunting deals. I know theres some places here in Kern county, I think in Tejon Ranch. Maybe Ill just ask around next time Im at the range.

SC,

A few guides/ranches you might want to look at;

http://boaring.com/

http://hunttejon.com/

http://huntcedarcanyon.com/

Cedar Canyon is high fenced. I have never been there personally but have heard that it can be a challenging hunt and the terrain is pretty rugged.

Good Luck and feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

xs2k
11-05-2007, 5:53 PM
I took my hunter safety calss @ Angeles Shooting Range $10.

I'd love to plan a pig hnut in Feb or March @ Tajon Ranch. If I can get 21+ people to participate the cost is $450 per person.

Depending on which day, I am very interested...:D