PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Government, bull barrel?

neomentat
10-31-2007, 5:21 PM
I'm thinking about installing bull barrels onto my Government 1911s, will I gain accuracy? Will it function as unreliably as barrel + bushing? If all else are equal I will make the switch since I'm lazy and want to simplify the disassembly process as much as possible.

The guns in question are 2 Norinco 1911A1s.

Fjold
10-31-2007, 8:11 PM
It depends on how well the bull barrel fits the slide and the quality of the barrel itself.

The old Colt National Match guns had spring steel fingers on the bushing to grip the barrel and provide a constant, consistent fit. They worked very well but occasionally the "fingers" broke and jammed the gun.

mike452
11-01-2007, 1:05 AM
I'm thinking about installing bull barrels onto my Government 1911s, will I gain accuracy? Will it function as unreliably as barrel + bushing? If all else are equal I will make the switch since I'm lazy and want to simplify the disassembly process as much as possible.

The guns in question are 2 Norinco 1911A1s.

How are you planning to install this bull barrel? You need to fit the barrel.
Why do you say barrel + bushing combination is unreliable? The best 1911 are built this way and they are reliable.
I have a Springfield TRP Operator with bull barrel and the disassembling process is actually more complicated.

Josh
11-01-2007, 1:19 AM
a properly installed bushing and barrel provide no advantage over a properly installed bull barrel.

I have yet to see a bull barrel beat a traditional bushing/barrel combo and vice versa, provided that each are done to the same quality or standard.

TMC
11-01-2007, 7:36 AM
Like it has been said a properly installed bushing barrel is just as accurate. A bull barrel can add muzzle weight to control recoil and eliminates one removable part that can reduce consistent lock-up and thus accuracy. If you install a bull barrel the slide needs to be made to accept a reverse recoil plug, either by shortening the tunnel and relieveing the edge or have it machined for a collar type plug.