PDA

View Full Version : How many own TC Contenders or other single shots?

NorCalAl
10-31-2007, 1:42 PM
I just (finally!) picked up my first TC and I gotta tell ya, it was a LOT of fun to shoot. For a bunch of years, we couldn't even get em here in CA and I've always kinda liked the idea. I was in a gun shop, talking to the sales guy and a guy behind me was listening in. When the sales guy went to someone else, the guy behind me mentioned he had exactly what I was looking for, a TC Contender in 223 with a 14" barrel, blue.
Ten days later, I was picking it up. I was a bit concerned about recoil, but after the first shot, I was no longer worried. Man, that is one sweet-shooting gun! My son was not all that excited. Single shot and all. And break open to boot! But he warmed up real quick once we started shooting. Next is a 17HMR barrel/scope.
I've always liked the Remington XP-100 as well. Haven't seen too many others. The occasional Weatherby and I think Savage makes some. So how many out there own one of these bad boys?

AJAX22
10-31-2007, 1:59 PM
I'm waiting on my single shot AR15 to show up so I can start DROS on it. ;)

I've always wanted a TC... no practical reason I just want to plink long distances with an extreamly acurate handgun.

polygunner
10-31-2007, 2:14 PM
I found a TC contender at a local shop. It came with three barrels, ammo, brass, and dies. The ammo brass and dies are for the .30 Herrett barrel(I'd never heard of that). The other two are .38/.357 and .22 lr. It's a blast to shoot and easy on the wallet as far as ammo goes. Put a scope on the .30 Herrett barrel and with handloads it will shoot 3 inches at 200 yds. It's all good.
pg

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 2:14 PM
I was a bit concerned about recoil, but after the first shot, I was no longer worried. Man, that is one sweet-shooting gun! My son was not all that excited. Single shot and all. And break open to boot! But he warmed up real quick once we started shooting. Next is a 17HMR barrel/scope.
I've always liked the Remington XP-100 as well. Haven't seen too many others. The occasional Weatherby and I think Savage makes some. So how many out there own one of these bad boys?

I have a half a dozen TC Contender and Encore frames and maybe 2 dozen barrels.
It's a good system.

I REALLY like my XP100's too.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 2:17 PM
I found a TC contender at a local shop. It came with three barrels, ammo, brass, and dies. The ammo brass and dies are for the .30 Herrett barrel(I'd never heard of that). The other two are .38/.357 and .22 lr. It's a blast to shoot and easy on the wallet as far as ammo goes. Put a scope on the .30 Herrett barrel and with handloads it will shoot 3 inches at 200 yds. It's all good.
pg

You must have figured out that the 30 herrett is just a shortened and blown-out 30-30. ;)

http://68spc.com/gfx/68spcr.jpg

Fjold
10-31-2007, 3:16 PM
I've had Contenders and XP100's, sold the last one (XP in 223) earlier this year.

polygunner
10-31-2007, 3:27 PM
Yes ar15barrels. 32 Win special brass works also.
Good pic.
pg

Knight
10-31-2007, 3:27 PM
I have a T/C Encore rifle in .308. I bought it to become more proficient with iron sights. It's surprisingly fun for such a simple design. Plus it's one-shot capacity really helps me get in the mindset that I have to make that single shot count.

I bought it when I was 19, so now that I'm 21, I am considering picking up a Contender pistol frame. Sounds like you're hvaing fun with the .223 caliber, I'll have to make a note of that when I get the funds for it.

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2007, 4:18 PM
I've only got one Contender frame righht now. I will recomend getting a 14" .22lr barrel and shooting Aguila Super Calibres out of it. It's a blast and you don't need ear protection. About all you here is the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 4:21 PM
I've only got one Contender frame righht now. I will recomend getting a 14" .22lr barrel and shooting Aguila Super Calibres out of it. It's a blast and you don't need ear protection. About all you here is the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target.

I shoot them out of my 27" barreled CMP Remington 513-T.
Most of the time, the bullet makes it out of the barrel.

THAT is some quiet shooting too.
Does not even bother the neighbors.

sargenv
10-31-2007, 4:35 PM
I still have my TC Contender from 1988 and I occasionally still shoot it. I have the original 14" 30-30 barrel and a 10" 357 barrel that I picked up later. If there were somewhere close to shoot long range pistol sillouette, I might head out and do some shooting, but too many places are too far of a drive for it.

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2007, 4:52 PM
I shoot them out of my 27" barreled CMP Remington 513-T.
Most of the time, the bullet makes it out of the barrel.

THAT is some quiet shooting too.
Does not even bother the neighbors.

Although I've shot them out of long guns, Aguila does warn that they are for hanguns only. I think too many people attempted to shoot them through really dirty tubes.

BTW, I wish I had a 513-T. the closest I've got is a 513-J that I paid $67 for just two years ago! Yea, I know, I should have given him more but, it was all I had left in my pocket after giving him $300 for an early 03A3.

dfletcher
10-31-2007, 5:15 PM
I just (finally!) picked up my first TC and I gotta tell ya, it was a LOT of fun to shoot. For a bunch of years, we couldn't even get em here in CA and I've always kinda liked the idea. I was in a gun shop, talking to the sales guy and a guy behind me was listening in. When the sales guy went to someone else, the guy behind me mentioned he had exactly what I was looking for, a TC Contender in 223 with a 14" barrel, blue.
Ten days later, I was picking it up. I was a bit concerned about recoil, but after the first shot, I was no longer worried. Man, that is one sweet-shooting gun! My son was not all that excited. Single shot and all. And break open to boot! But he warmed up real quick once we started shooting. Next is a 17HMR barrel/scope.

I have an XP100 Custom Shop job made about 1995 in 223 Remington. Beautiful wood and a Burris 10X scope. Looking at the Weatherby, but most I've seen in CA are overpriced when they should not be.

I have a few Contender frames and an Encore - I really recommend also getting an Encore frame as that allows you to use rifle cartridges that are too powerful for the Contender frame.

I have about 2 dozen hangun barrels from 223 to to 45.70 in the Contender and alot of larger calibers in the Encore - 350 Rem Mag, 405 Winchester and 375 H & H are a few. Most come with brakes and although they do recoil, I think the recoil's "OMIGOD" factor is over rated. You won't crack a bone or break a finger with heavy recoil. I use the "ride with it" method of just letting the gun recoil.

The T/C system really shines using moderate caliber rifle cartridges - in the Contender that's along the lines of the 30.30 WCF, 32 - 20 and 256 type and in the Encore pretty much anything in the 24 to 28 caliber. My 25.06 Encore is every bit as accurate as a rifle and I think the same can be said for many 243, 7-08 and 260 Remington.

Make certain you get a good handgun scope - they routinely cost about $150.00 for a fixed 4X up to $400.00 or so for variables - and a solid mount system. Weaver makes good handgun scopes at a low price. Burris, Leupold and T/C are outstanding.

Here are a couple of websites that might be of interest.

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x

NorCalAl
11-01-2007, 7:25 AM
It came with a Burris 3-9x scope. When we got to the range, there wasn't a single table open. This is a county run range with no officials on site. Just sort of dug into a small ravine with about 20 tables (cement picnic tables) and berms at 25, 50, 100 and 300 yards. So my first 20 shots with it were handheld. Let me tell ya, 14" of barrel wags all over the place, especially through a scope held at the end of outstretched arms! But I still managed to get a couple decent shots off. Once we got the table, shooting improved considerably. :D I can't wait to see what we can do with the 17HMR.

Army
11-01-2007, 8:43 AM
Bought my first one in 1982 (14" .223), and quickly fell into the barrel trap! I've got barrels for calibers I've never shot!

The thing is just too much fun to stop.

AJAX22
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
What do used TC pistol frames run nowadays? I haven't looked at them in a long time.

NorCalAl
11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
With the 223 barrel, the scope, mount and rings, plus a nice rug, I paid $650.

AJAX22
11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
With the 223 barrel, the scope, mount and rings, plus a nice rug, I paid $650.

How much of that is scope, mount rings and rug?

I don't know what Cal I want yet, but I do know that I want a TC eventually.

ar15barrels
11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I've got barrels for calibers I've never shot!

I have a few of those too... :o

ar15barrels
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I paid $300 for my first Contender about 12 years ago.
It had pachmayer rubber grip/forend, a 223 Super 14 barrel with Burris 5x target scope on burris rings and base.

SVRider
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
"I think the recoil's "OMIGOD" factor is over rated. You won't crack a bone or break a finger with heavy recoil. I use the "ride with it" method of just letting the gun recoil."

I agree....I shot a .308 Lone Eagle many, many years ago...I was aprehensive at first, but recoil was actually very managable....I wish I would have picked it up back then....

NorCalAl
11-01-2007, 2:56 PM
I saw a SS version on Gunbroker in 223 for $629. Brand new.

dfletcher
11-01-2007, 4:45 PM
I have an 8mm Mauser barrel - 14" stainless bull - on order for the Encore. Pretty eager to try it out, haven't heard of anyone else having one. I can't recall the maker, but there's some surpus 8mm out there with a tremendous flash/bang from a rifle barrel - should be something else out of a handgun. I guess having a little fun is an OK departure from serious reloading & shooting.