PDA

View Full Version : Glock mag will not drop????

mikeinla
10-31-2007, 1:42 PM
I have some older hi cap Glock mags that will ONLY drop in some of my Glock 17's. Enclosed pic of mag.

Glock 17 serial YE--- Mag drops
Glock 17 serial DVZ--- Mag drops
Glock 17 serial GKS--- Mag WILL NOT drop - this is an OD green
colored Glock if that matters

QuarterBoreGunner
10-31-2007, 1:54 PM
And?
Are these older unlined magazines? If they are, that's the way they were designed - to not drop free all the way.

mikeinla
10-31-2007, 2:00 PM
Are these older unlined magazines? If they are, that's the way they were designed - to not drop free all the way.

I do not know if they are unlined. If they were designed that way why do they drop in some guns and not the others??????

Ninja45
10-31-2007, 2:12 PM
The older ones were designed to not drop (i.e. you have to pull them out of the mag well after (or while) pressing the eject button). The Glock 17 was designed for the Austrian Army. They do not want to accidentally lose their mags in the heat of battle, which I think is a good thing. American shooters wanted the dropping mags, so they made them.

Ninja45

vega
10-31-2007, 2:16 PM
It looks like unlined.
Check here: http://glockmeister.com/3genmags.shtml

Why it would drop on some firearms, I wish I have an answer. :shrug:

QuarterBoreGunner
10-31-2007, 2:24 PM
The Glock 17 was designed for the Austrian Army. They do not want to accidentally lose their mags in the heat of battle, which I think is a good thing. American shooters wanted the dropping mags, so they made them.

This is a variation of what I learned in the armorers class, but essentially the same thing. As to why they drop in some of your guns and not in others I have no idea. The picture you posted is of a non-fully metal lined magazine. The full lines mags are squared off at the rear of the feed lip area - the early non-lined ones have a U cut out.
A lot of the old school LEO I worked with that were the first to trans to the Glocks used to polish the magazine sides with floor wax and other things to make them slippery and there fore drop free. We recommended against that; who needs a slippery magazine during a reload under stress?
Santa Clara PD's armorer used to Dremel out finger cut outs at the bottom of the mag well so that officers could get a positive hold on the partially ejected magazine.

Glock22Fan
10-31-2007, 3:52 PM
My ten round mags are fine, but my (only) 15 round mag needs positive force to get it to move at all. Another shooter at a Practical Pistol match revealed that he filed the sides of his. I'm kinda reluctant to go too far with this.

savasyn
10-31-2007, 4:11 PM
If it really bugs you, you could rebuild them with modern parts. Just make sure your current ones are completely disassembled before you put together the new ones!!