PDA

View Full Version : Calling Ruger P90 Owners How do U like em???

RAMCHARGER
10-31-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm really a revolver shooter but do like to have a bottom feeder in .45. Especially now with all the new pistol restrictions in this state.

I was at a pawn shop and they have a nice Ruger P90 for less that $400. and Turners sells new ones for a little over that.
Anyways it fit my hand perfectly and it was brutally tough looking. I thought to myself "if i had to go to a planet, an unknown planet...and could only take one pistol... I want this pistol. When Western Civilization melts down... I want this pistol" It looks like the AK47 of pistols :)

So if you got a P90 tell me about it.

Bookworm
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Had one...Sold it...Should have kept it. It's hard to beat for a home defense/range gun. It's reliable, durable, accurate, and the weight helps minimize recoil. I considered it the "Poor man's" Sig P220.

bwiese
10-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Sometimes you find really good deals - new or used.

The P90 is a real sleeper. It's one of the most accurate production 45ACPs out there (plus or minus a little trigger work). It's just about unbreakable too.

I need to get one.

Capita159
10-31-2007, 12:34 PM
LOL, my friend calls it a "Redneck" gun. I guess it's comparable to an old Chevy Silverado, which is a really reliable truck. Its the same gun that Edward Norton used in American History X where he set up some prime example of home defense but please don't consider doing that.

El Barto
10-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I got mine at Turners for $124. For that price, I had to get it. I've only had a couple of hundred rounds through mine, but they were all flawless.

It is a handful, so get some aftermarket grips. I have also noticed that it seems louder then your average .45. I agree that it is the "Silverado" of handguns.

If you are anywhere near L.A., you are more then welcome to take mine for a test drive.

Stockton
10-31-2007, 3:14 PM
I dont have the P90 but I do have the P95DC and man what a tank. All of their semis are beefy. Definitely for the price you cannot go wrong with those Rugers. Shooting it is fun and cleaning it is a no brainer. Trigger has way too much creep and overtravel IMO though. I've had mine for over 7yrs now and it just keeps eating ammo like the first day I bought it. Accurate? Only as good as you are. Durable - absolutely. Carry - NOT. Nightstand or home defense - if thats all you can afford then yes.

Mac

railroader
10-31-2007, 8:13 PM
I have a p97 which is the polymer framed 45. It is really reliable, and is plenty accurate. The triggers take some getting use to but over all I would recommend ruger autos. Mark

ivanimal
10-31-2007, 9:57 PM
P90 was my first autoloading 45, I loved it so much I bought the P89 as well. I will not sell either, ever. As rugged as a tank and easy to disassemble.

Santa Cruz Armory
10-31-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the P91DC in .40 cal and I love it!! you can hammer nails with it...(not really :p)

bwiese
10-31-2007, 10:02 PM
P90 was my first autoloading 45, I loved it so much I bought the P89 as well. I will not sell either, ever. As rugged as a tank and easy to disassemble.

Ivan, can you bring your P90 to the Calguns post-Turkey Day shoot?

maxicon
11-01-2007, 8:10 AM
I got mine at Turners for $124. For that price, I had to get it. I've only had a couple of hundred rounds through mine, but they were all flawless.

That's a pretty rare deal, but they do show up for $250-$300 on a regular basis. With all this talk about bug-out bags, I was thinking that a Ruger P series would make a pretty ideal bug-out gun, if you wanted something inexpensive and ultra-reliable.

Mags used to be pretty inexpensive, too, but I haven't had to buy any for my P95/PC9 combo for years.

trashman
11-01-2007, 8:42 AM
The P90 was my first handgun back in the day...and I'll echo what everybody says: tough as a tank; great sights, never had any stoppages or ftf/fte's. The balance and pointing is pretty nice.

The double-action trigger pull is pretty loooong and slacky. the single-action trigger pull still requires some effort and concentration. But this is something that is true of berettas, sigs, etc.

Plus, as with the Sigs, the external tilt-barrel lockup system keeps the locking surfaces in an area (i.e., external) that crud will get flung off when the gun cycles in and out of battery during firing.

Makes for a decidedly chunkly package, but it's still concealable.

--Neill