PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade rings and base

Prc329
10-31-2007, 10:53 AM
I just ordered my new IOR from Liberty Optics (Scott is a really cool guy to work with) and I want to also go and upgrade rings and base while I am at it. I am still looking to have a 20moa base and medium rings. Here is my delima.

I was going to go with Badger rings and base but I can not seem to find the rings I want in stock. I have found 2 different rings that I am considering but not sure which way to go. Since this will be my last upgrade before I get my barrel installed I want something that will stay with the rifle forever.

IOR Rings, I have heard they are made by TPS but Midway says they are made by HD Tatical. Also TPS TSR rings are on the list. How are nightforce rings. Dog money and gunsmith money is set aside so it is time to make my last gun purchase till tax time.

I currently have a Warne base and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. I can live with the base since it seems solid but the rings are just to wide and won't allow me to put the scope in the exact position I want. It is maybe 2 mm to far forward and if I move the rings it is to far back. Gotta get thinner/better rings.

Prc329
10-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Also I need a level.

wildcard
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I use the IOR Heavy Duty Base and rings.. couldn't be happier. I particularly like their base because there's a cutout over the ejection port so it makes looking and reaching in there easier.

Are you looking for a leveler to set your scope? Or the ones that attach to your rail from US Optics?

Prc329
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM
Attach to the gun.

rksimple
10-31-2007, 11:13 AM
TPS rings are OK. Hard to get ahold of anyone on the phone at the company, though. IOR rings are made by TPS now, don't know about the old ones. The 35mm rings that came with my SH IOR were OK. They needed a little lapping, but after that they were good.

The USO bubble level looks like a winner.

ETA: Nightforce rings have a pretty good reputation.

Prc329
10-31-2007, 11:18 AM
I can't find a badger base in so I may just keep the warne for now. So IOR bases are o.k.? Why not have all IOR for the optics :)

rksimple
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
I can't find a badger base in so I may just keep the warne for now. So IOR bases are o.k.? Why not have all IOR for the optics :)

Haven't heard anything good or bad about IOR bases. Probably made by TPS, though. TPS bases have a pretty good reputation from what I've read.

For me, when it comes time to upgrade, I'm not taking any chances. My rings will be from Seekins. His stuff is perfect.

PistolPete75
10-31-2007, 11:34 AM
also check out Seekins. they are supposed to be beefier than badgers. i have never heard of a complaint, eventhough it is an aluminum alloy. my new rings and base are from seekins.

if your looking for 30mm medium rings from badger. look at this thread from SH

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=355229&gonew=1#UNREAD

$110 shipped! which is like $50 off msrp.

PistolPete75
10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
i have both warne, and badger bases. between the two badger all the way. badger is much beefier, but badger has a premium price tag which i believe is a little too high.

Prc329
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't find any badger stuff in stock so I'm going with the IOR rings and sticking with my Warne base for now.

Timberwolf
10-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Give George a call over at G.A.P. and see if he has the base you need (IIRC he and Marty share space) or call Marty directly. Sometimes he'll have stuff thats not shown on the website.

StraightShooter
10-31-2007, 12:46 PM
I own two sets of tps rings and one set of badger rings. Personally i dont think that the badger rings are worth all that exra money.

CHIGGA73
10-31-2007, 2:38 PM
question about rings. do all rings need to be lapped? are there ones that don't?

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 2:41 PM
I have a set of TPS rings if you want to look at them while you are up.
They are good stuff.

rksimple
10-31-2007, 3:15 PM
question about rings. do all rings need to be lapped? are there ones that don't?

Depends on a few things: How square the base is, how "square" the receiver bridge is, how "square" the rings are, etc. You can have a perfectly square base, but put it on a receiver thats out of whack, it will torque it to the point that the rings will be misaligned. Its not the rings that are at fault in this case. Bed the base and things will improve.

Sometimes everything lines up perfect and no lapping is needed. My TPS rings did not line up well with respect to how the rings fit together. The top of one ring had a sharp edge that protruded more than everything else. I just broke that edge and all was well. Many who got these IOR (TPS) rings with their scope order have reported things not fitting well. Lots of lapping needed. But was it the base, receiver bridge, rings?...who knows.

PistolPete75
10-31-2007, 3:53 PM
I can't find any badger stuff in stock so I'm going with the IOR rings and sticking with my Warne base for now.

all the above are good brands. you should have no issues. the more expsnsiver brands tend to have better qc i think.

DJDace
10-31-2007, 4:01 PM
Not to be a jerky mcjerkpants ;) but this is why I really REALLY like the Larue 1 piece QD scope mount for AR-15's. No fuss, no muss, tight lockup and easy removal with return to zero.

BUT, in the realm of the boltgun, I've heard nothing but stellar reviews regarding the Seekin's bases and rings. They seem to be the "well kept secret" of bases and rings :)

rksimple
10-31-2007, 4:04 PM
Not to be a jerky mcjerkpants ;) but this is why I really REALLY like the Larue 1 piece QD scope mount for AR-15's. No fuss, no muss, tight lockup and easy removal with return to zero.

BUT, in the realm of the boltgun, I've heard nothing but stellar reviews regarding the Seekin's bases and rings. They seem to be the "well kept secret" of bases and rings :)

Not so secret anymore. He just moved into a bigger building and bought new equipment to keep up with orders. He's even coming out with his own DBM for remmys using his own design mags. Even for 223 and 6br. Supposed to have DBM for Savage on the way too...

PistolPete75
10-31-2007, 4:08 PM
just talked to Glen, my stuff is shipping tomorrow! these are the last pieces Randy needs for the build.

proraptor
10-31-2007, 4:18 PM
I use a warne base and warne maxima qd rings with no problems

DJDace
10-31-2007, 4:37 PM
Not so secret anymore. He just moved into a bigger building and bought new equipment to keep up with orders. He's even coming out with his own DBM for remmys using his own design mags. Even for 223 and 6br. Supposed to have DBM for Savage on the way too...

Well that's awesome new then! More quality options is never a bad thing for the consumer!

Prc329
10-31-2007, 4:46 PM
I'm eyeing a seeking base. Gotta call scott before he ships my scope. I think a set of seeking rings and base is in order. Price is not bad on both.

Cypriss32
10-31-2007, 5:27 PM
I run TPS, Badger and now seekins. I think seekins is the best No questions asked!