PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally buying weapons at auction

RANGER295
10-31-2007, 9:25 AM
Lets say (hypothetically of course) that you buy the contents of a storage unit at one of those auctions where they sell the stuff when people don’t pay their rent. All they do before the auction is open the door and you look in from the hall. All you see before the auction is a bunch of boxes, wooden crates, a couple ammo cans, and a milling machine. You have no idea what is inside the boxes, crates or cans, but bid on it based on the milling machine. When you win the auction, and look in the boxes and crates, you find a bunch of C&R weapons as well as some modern weapons (older, probably from the 70’s,80’s, and maybe early 90’s but not C&R). Most are long guns but some are handguns. So now what do you do? How do you know for sure that they aren’t stolen? How do you transfer the handguns which are not rostered? Assume that the storage place wants nothing to do with the transfer. What is to keep the previous owner from suddenly remembering about the unit and then reporting them all stolen after he finds out they have been sold? What are your thoughts, comments, and other considerations?

Thanks

EDIT: Assume that there are no AW issues

radioactivelego
10-31-2007, 9:32 AM
All I'm thinking right now is I now have a Bridgeport, but yes this does intrigue me...

AJAX22
10-31-2007, 9:49 AM
You legally bought the entire contents of the storage locker, you own title to the contents.

I would file voluntary registration paperwork on all of it, and if anything comes back stolen give it back to the rightful owner.

JawBone
10-31-2007, 9:53 AM
This is an interesting one. My two cents:

These guns passed from the Locker Owner to the Storage Company by Operation of Law as a Secured Creditor -- then you purchased them from the Storage Company.

C&R Long Guns (50+): just document in some way when/where you acquired them (photos) and keep the paperwork from the storage company. If you are really concerned about them later being reported stolen, you could Voluntary Reg. them (if you are not morally opposed to doing so.)

Non C&R Long Guns: Since there is no exception for this in the transfer codes, I think you should have the Storage Company PPT them to you.

As for the handguns, technically, the Storage Company should OpLaw them as a Secured Creditor (all handguns, one $19 fee), and then PPT them to you.

ETA: What I would be concerned with is the Storage Company (owner) illegally transferring guns (without FFL). I would think given the restrictions placed on gun transfers they would be happy to cover themselves.

zinfull
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
`All the storage auctions I have been at required that firearms and drugs found be turn over to the police. Only you and the flake that rented the space know for sure what is in there.

Jerry

Fjold
10-31-2007, 10:56 AM
`All the storage auctions I have been at required that firearms and drugs found be turn over to the police. Only you and the flake that rented the space know for sure what is in there.

Jerry

We can't keep the drugs?

Spaceghost
10-31-2007, 12:08 PM
Buwahhahaaha. You sir, just made my day.

We can't keep the drugs?

AKman
10-31-2007, 12:31 PM
What drugs? I didn't see any drugs.

DedEye
10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
:useless:

Seriously, post pics of your recent acquisition :D.

gazzavc
10-31-2007, 2:47 PM
I think by law, the storage company is required to turn over any weapons to the law enforcement service.

If for example, you bought it lock stock & barrel, you might be in possesion of a weapon used in the commision of an unsolved crime.

Anyway, i'm not certain , but I think thats whats supposed to happen

Gary

RANGER295
10-31-2007, 4:31 PM
:useless:

Seriously, post pics of your recent acquisition :D.

I wish it was me… it is a friend of mine that asked me for advice because of my firearms background. A lot of people seem to do that and when I don’t know the answer I go here. I will pass this along.

Bizcuits
10-31-2007, 4:59 PM
I'd try to keep the ones I wanted, and save the rest for a turn in day. What is it $100 bucks no questions asked?

pullnshoot25
10-31-2007, 10:32 PM
If they are C&R, who gives a damn?

tenpercentfirearms
11-01-2007, 5:33 AM
Here are you options from a gun dealer's point of view. Keep in mind some of this might not be technically legal, but you might be able to get away with some of it. Always consult a lawyer.

First, what does the storage company say about items left in a storage facility and then auctioned off? Is there any provision in there about firearms? Is there anything in the law that implies firearms are treated differently than any other property? You need to figure that out first and then...

C&R rifles are good to go if they are over 50 years old.

Non-C&R rifles can be taken to a gun shop and DROSed. All you have to do is have someone come in with the guns and claim they are theirs. Have the guy tell the gun store guy you don't want to do a PPT because you guys will never find time to come in together, you just want them as transfers. The only thing they are going to write down is the guy who brought them in's name and address in their bound book. If you do it right with the right dealer, you are following the law in getting them lawfully transferred into your name.

Handguns are a bit tougher, especially if they are not on the approved list. I can't think of any way to do it unless you want to have someone claim they are the owner and do a PPT. If the handguns are old enough, there might not be a way to find out if the guy brining them in were actually was the owner and they were really in his name. As was stated the storage company wants nothing to do with it, so there is no other way.

Except, you could sell them out of state. Put them on auction and move them out of state. By the time the government figures out you bought these handguns lawfully and then lawfully transfered them out of state to an FFL, they won't care anymore because they have been shipped out of state forever. Or odds are they will never figure it out.

You might also want to see if you can find a local LEO you can have run the serial numers of everything to see if any of it was reported stolen. You didn't buy the auction with the intent on having the firearms so if you were able to return them to an owner, you wouldn't be out of any money and someone would be real happy.

As with a lot of these gun laws, if you start asking questions of the government and make them aware of what you are doing with a way for them to know it is you, it is unlawful. If you say with these old guns, "My great/grandfather gave me all of this just before he died", except on the handguns, how can they prove you wrong? On the handguns that are pretty old and on a "direct straight up the tree" relative that passed away not too long ago, you can actually send in the [url=http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf]Intra-Familial transferp/url] and as long as you stick to your story, how are they going to know?

You could also call the DOJ from a pay phone and ask them too.

If you were a gang banger trying to figure out how to get some guns illegally, then I wouldn't want to help you out. If you are a law abiding citizen who lawfully purchased some firearms, but are having to find a way to comply with the law as best you can, do what you have to do. Why should you turn in firearms just because our laws suck so bad? Just try and do the right thing and be low key and you shouldn't have any problems.

justinLB
11-01-2007, 6:59 AM
About 15 years back my father used to go to those rent a garage auctions. One time he bought a kennedy tool box that was locked and had no keys, well he got it home, drilled out the lock and BAM right there on the top shelf was an 870 Wingmaster. He almost crapped himself cause it had a remington factory top folding stock labeled Law enforcement use only! By now my pop's is freakin out thinking he just came upon a cop's stolen gun!
He took a couple deep breaths then took the shotty down to Long BeachPD and explained the situation, they said no problem, then they asked him " If it comes back clean do you want the gun back?" Well hell yeah!
One month later he got a call from LBPD telling him to come pick up his shotgun!

RANGER295
11-01-2007, 8:03 AM
My friend is funny, he keeps saying “maybe I should just turn them in, it would be easier“. I am the one that told him we should check it out more. Though I have not personally seen the collection, it sounds like something that I would want to keep. Thanks for all of the advice. I will pass it along.

Tenpercent, let me ask you this, if you have a handgun that is old enough to have been face to face transferred without a DROS but do not know if it was after that point, in other words there may be a transfer on record after that point, would the seller be risking getting in trouble if he brought it in for a private party transfer? I have a friend who bought a revolver a couple of years ago without DROS’ing it. It has a production date of 1981 (well before it had to have a DROS for a FTF. Now I want to buy it from him but I wont take it unless we run it through a dealer. Any thoughts?

lazuris
11-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Save them for when you need to do a home invasion robbery that way your totally legit.

j/K

tenpercentfirearms
11-01-2007, 8:22 PM
Tenpercent, let me ask you this, if you have a handgun that is old enough to have been face to face transferred without a DROS but do not know if it was after that point, in other words there may be a transfer on record after that point, would the seller be risking getting in trouble if he brought it in for a private party transfer? I have a friend who bought a revolver a couple of years ago without DROS’ing it. It has a production date of 1981 (well before it had to have a DROS for a FTF. Now I want to buy it from him but I wont take it unless we run it through a dealer. Any thoughts?

Hmmm, too bad you didn't know it wasn't in his name. You could have just done it and found out. My guess is the DOJ probably doesn't care if it wasn't in his name as long as it is going into your name. You could always try it and just claim you had no idea he didn't register it properly. However, you would be better advised to get legal advice from a lawyer.

adamsreeftank
11-01-2007, 8:58 PM
I would be concerned if any of them were stolen or used in a crime. If you try to do a transfer with a friend, your friend might wind up in a complicated situation they didn't bargain for.

If it were me, I'd bring them all to the pd and report them as found in the locker contents. If they check out as clean, I assume you would at least get the long guns back. Don't know about the pistols.

I'd also be worried about illegal AWs or machine guns. You never know and you could wind up with a lot more trouble on your hands.

Riodog
11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
The powers that be might not like this response BUT "oh well".

1. Quit posting on the internet.
2. Do a search of the make, model#, and serial# and figure out when said weapon was manufactured.
3. Anything manufactured before 1999-> don't sweat it. Clean them and stick them in the closet.Don't I remember you telling me you bought them off a senile old lady at the county fair that just wanted them gone right now outta her trunk in Dec of 1999?
4. Handguns manufactured after 1999-> I'll be damned. That same lil ol' lady just happened to be at the fair again looking for you and you figured it would be better to get those nasty ol' guns off the street than have some gang banger get um so you bought the bunch from her and here you are cuz you're a law abiding citizen and obey the law. At your local pd ask them to run the numbers and if they are clean you want to register them and how you should do this. Hopefully they'll walk you thru it.

Disclaimer::rolleyes:
I'm not advocating that you should break any law-> HOWEVER-> there are situations that are not always specifically spelled out in the law and in most cases the local law enforcement entity could really care less about you if it means going 1 step out of their way when there is no apparent benefit to them. ( most Pd's and especially where firearms are concerned).
They'd prolly just call our friendly DOJ:mad: and get a "fu(kit, just grab them" type of answer and you'd -opp's-I meant your friend would be out everything. They'd most likely get melted:( or wind up in some one else's gun collection
JMHO, good luck,
Rio
ps... maybe 10% or some one can chime in here and punch some holes in my comments.

metalhead357
11-03-2007, 11:09 PM
ps... maybe 10% or some one can chime in here and punch some holes in my comments.

Twuz '91 that FFL transfers for NON C&R guns was required. But I agree in part. This whole situation could be either nothing (if C&R) or a HUGE mess (IF AW's or non registered AW's)........

Best route. Contact and attorney.

adamsreeftank
11-03-2007, 11:53 PM

The problem is that if you get caught telling a lie, the authorities will assume the worst. If down the road you can't explain where that handgun came from and it was stolen or used in a crime, the charges you may face won't be illegal purchase of a gun.