PDA

View Full Version : Question about shipping to an FFL?

Knifemaker
10-31-2007, 10:05 AM
I often see in for sale threads about pistols "make sure your FFL will accept guns shipped from non FFL seller, etc..."

1) Can an FFL except a gun just shipped by you to him for me to do the dros on? If a non FFL person ships a pistol to an FFL dealer how can the paperwork even be completed?

2) Is this doable if the gun is on or not on the CA drop list. in or outside of CA?

I thought any gun shipped to a CA FFL has to be shipped from one FFL to another FFL whether its coming from inside CA or outside CA?

Greatly apprecite anyone that can clear this up for me.

-hanko
10-31-2007, 10:13 AM
I often see in for sale threads about pistols "make sure your FFL will accept guns shipped from non FFL seller, etc..."

1) Can an FFL accept a gun just shipped by you to him for me to do the dros on? If a non FFL person ships a pistol to an FFL dealer how can the paperwork even be completed?

2) Is this doable if the gun is on or not on the CA drop list. in or outside of CA?

I thought any gun shipped to a CA FFL has to be shipped from one FFL to another FFL whether its coming from inside CA or outside CA?

Greatly apprecite anyone that can clear this up for me.
Federal law allows an ffl to accept a gun shipped by a non-ffl. Some ffl's prefer/require/accept shipments only from other ffl's. Why that is beats the hell out of me

The drop test is a separate issue...I'd expect that if the gun is new it has to meet drop test requirements.

-hanko

Knifemaker
10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
So if its being shipped by a private party to an FFL in a sales transaction how can the paperwork be completed if the seller is never there in person to do paperwork?

ohsmily
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
So if its being shipped by a private party to an FFL in a sales transaction how can the paperwork be completed if the seller is never there in person to do paperwork?

That is what the FFL is for. The seller doesn't do any paperwork; he just sends the gun. It isn't a Person-to-Person transfer. When a gun is shipped to an FFL for the purpose of transfer, it becomes a DEALER transaction not a PPT.

leelaw
10-31-2007, 11:54 AM

It is handled like it's a new sale, not a PPT.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 12:32 PM

Private Party Transfers can ONLY be done when BOTH parties actually arrive at the same FFL where the transfer is to be done.
This is the only easy way around the "Roster"...

Knifemaker
10-31-2007, 9:32 PM
Cool guys thanks, I had no idea you could even do it this way.

So what info does the dealer have to have to put it in his book before he sells?DROS's it to me from the guy who shipped it to him? Anytime I have sold a pistol to any dealer they need a sig and a thumb print.