PDA

View Full Version : s&w 4506

foolthomas
10-31-2007, 1:55 AM
i just bought an s&w 4506 w/ the factory adjustable sights. i shot it and thought for what it is it is pretty sweat. on the down side the trigger is so so. it's super heavy which i guess could be a plus or a minus (makes recoil feel like a hot 9mm). but on the other hand it's rather comfortable and balanced and pretty accurate. i originally bought it cause i was really curios about it (and being a big fan of Vick on the Shield sealed the deal). i payed 500 for it (not including transfer fee and dros) and i'm real happy with it.

just wondering what other people think about it? does anyone know if there is any difference between the 4506 and the 4506-1 (besides the trigger guard)?

if your a california gun owner who's been thinking about picking one up before they are off our approved list (i think they are only still on there because lapd still authorizes them for duty carry), i say go for it. they look mean as hell and they are pretty accurate for a stock smith auto.

Bongos
10-31-2007, 7:53 AM
these are pretty solid guns, Don Johnson used it in Miami Vice...:43: but all kinding aside it's a good reliable peice

sargenv
10-31-2007, 8:03 AM
At one time Ihad the earlier generation gun, the 645, and it did ok. I sold it to finance another S&W, my 610 classic. Looking back Ikind if wish I hadn't sold it, but I really had little use for it, so off it went.

slowfire
10-31-2007, 9:03 AM
these are pretty solid guns, Don Johnson used it in Miami Vice...:43: but all kinding aside it's a good reliable peice

Thought Sonny Crockett used a Bren-10 and Tubbs used a little snubbie with a short shotgun as his back-up. :D
I haven't brought mine, 4506, out in awhile. :sleeping: I do enjoy shooting it, and I kept it even though it became a safe queen. :cool2:

guns_and_labs
10-31-2007, 9:09 AM
I had mine upgraded to a .45 Super. Works great, good hunting sidearm. I keep putting it up for consignment sale, then pulling it off.

chuck762
10-31-2007, 8:21 PM
I bought one when they first came out in 89 or 90 with the 4506. It was a toss up between that and a Sig in .45 as I wanted a double action. The Sig wasn't left hand friendly so I went with the S&W.

Reliable, accurate, heavy (which is both good and bad) but has one of the worst trigger pulls of any pistols I own or have owned. Not that is is too heavy but the transition from double to single action is goofy feeling. I had one friend try it and thought it was broken after the first D/A shot.
The only pistol worse is my AMT.45 back up. arghhhhh that one is heavy but at least there is a reason for it being that way.

I used mine for a project and removed all the sparp edges then had it bead blasted to look stock again.
I just took it out about 2 weeks ago.

bwiese
10-31-2007, 11:04 PM
I gotta get a 4506 to match my 1006. Then it's time to stock up on Goncalo Hogues.

guns_and_labs
11-01-2007, 8:55 AM
I gotta get a 4506 to match my 1006. Then it's time to stock up on Goncalo Hogues.

There's a nice one sitting at Contra Costa Collectible Firearms in Walnut Creek, calling to you...

r08ert209cali
01-03-2008, 2:29 AM
I have a 645 thats still in nearly new cond put on pac. grips and realy like it.
need to shoot it some more but 45 ammo isint cheap

biochembruin
01-03-2008, 7:07 PM
i got an awesome deal on my 4506 from a cop friend of mine. put some hogue grips on and now i love it.

bluestaterebel
01-03-2008, 7:40 PM
i have a 4566 which is the same gun with a slightly shorter barrel.
i still carry it on duty even tough most have changed to the glock:useless:

BigDogatPlay
01-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I bought my 4506 NIB when they were first introduced and I still have it. Many rounds fired through it So long as you don't mind the weight of the beast, they are as solid as a bank vault and will pretty much last forever. Mine has the arched grip and I keep toying with swapping out to a flat backstrap grip, which are readily available through S&W or Brownells.

The triggers do tend to suck. Mine has never been anything better than "serviceable". There is a creaky transition from DA when the first shot is fired; the trigger has and audible and tactile "click" to it when you take the slack up in SA for that first time. Its something that can be remedied with a minor part change but I've never seen the need as it doesn't interfere with operation. It shoots where I point it, and it doesn't stop until I quit pulling the trigger and reloading it when it gets empty. I carried it on duty for several years until I switched to SiG at department suggestion.

They are still on the approved list for another 13 months, but S&W discontinued them from general production a while back so I'd think they won't continue on the list past 2009. I haven't seen a new one in an FFL case for quite a while. LAPD being able to carry them isn't germane anymore because LEOs with statutory carry authority are exempt from the list.

Here's mine after I polished out the slide...

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/BigDogatPlay/DSCN1740.jpg

Exiledviking
01-04-2008, 11:40 AM

I have to get a S&W PC945 to sorta match my 1006. :D

Paradiddle
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Thought Sonny Crockett used a Bren-10 and Tubbs used a little snubbie with a short shotgun as his back-up. :D
I haven't brought mine, 4506, out in awhile. :sleeping: I do enjoy shooting it, and I kept it even though it became a safe queen. :cool2:

That is correct for the first few years - when the show couldn't afford 10mm blanks Crocket went to the Smith.

Mmmmmm Bren 10

ivanimal
01-04-2008, 4:35 PM
I have a 4054 its a nice shooter and you dont see them often.

There were less than 200 made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/coyoteflood017.jpg

biochembruin
01-06-2008, 4:09 PM
Here's mine after I polished out the slide...

nice. how did you do it?