PDA

View Full Version : Taurus revolvers and CCW permits

pullnshoot25
10-30-2007, 11:13 PM
So I am going to be turning 21 in a couple months and I am planning to do several firearms related things.

A) Get my C&R license.
2) Get my CCW permit
C) Buy a .44 Mag revolver to mate up with my .44 Mag Winchester 94 Trapper.

(although not necessarily in that order)

Anyways, I want to know what you guys think of Taurus and their revolvers. I would like to get one of their lighter end 4" revolvers for potential concealed carry in conjunction with the rifle or for packing out in the woods and whatnot. I have heard a lot of good things but I would like to hear it from my statesmen as well.

I would also like to know if you guys happen to know the number of pistols you can qualify with at one time for the CCW permit. I would like to qualify with the revolver and a makarov at least so that I have some options (kind of like getting dressed in the morning, heheh)

Thanks guys!

Hitman
10-30-2007, 11:17 PM
A CCW in California is easier said than done.:(

Well I guess it depends where you are.:cool:

NSTLLMNGR
10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
YOU DONT NEED TO QUALIFY FOR EACH GUN . ONCE YOU GET YOUR CCW, IF YOU GET IT , THE AGENCY YOU GOT IT THROUGH CAN JUST ADD THE FIREARM TO YOUR CCW. DO YOU LIVE IN KERN COUNTY? IF YOU DID YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING ONE WOULD BE ALOT GREATER. CONSIDERING THERE IS MORE CCWS ISSUED HERE THAN THE WHOLE STATE PUT TOGETHER.

Mr. Joshua
10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Eh....Taurus seems hit and miss. I'd personally stick with S&W for my wheelgun choices. I compete and train quite a bit and have seen more Taurus wheelguns eat sh*t than any other. Smith and Ruger make great revolvers, and revolvers are generally very affordable depending on what you want.

I carry a Smith BTW. ;)

CaliTheKid
10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
It's worth it to save a little longer and get a Smith and Wesson or a Ruger. I CCW a Smith 342 and am very happy with it. So light it makes it impossible to make an excuse to leave it at home.

You can have 3 guns on your permit. I have the Smith and 2 semi auto's.

metalhead357
10-31-2007, 12:51 AM
YOU DONT NEED TO QUALIFY FOR EACH GUN . ONCE YOU GET YOUR CCW, IF YOU GET IT , THE AGENCY YOU GOT IT THROUGH CAN JUST ADD THE FIREARM TO YOUR CCW. DO YOU LIVE IN KERN COUNTY? IF YOU DID YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING ONE WOULD BE ALOT GREATER. CONSIDERING THERE IS MORE CCWS ISSUED HERE THAN THE WHOLE STATE PUT TOGETHER.

Easy on the caps there- in 'net speak- you're YELLING AT EVERYONE;)

But according to most I know from different counties you DO need to qualify with each gun...and each renewal. I've had to......

As for the Taurus. I love 'em, carried a Taurus 627 Tracker Total titanium for quite a while in .357; absolutely love(ed) the gun, just a little on the big side.

Some hate Taurus as they are simply not as spit&finished as S&W..... Some claim you either love'em or hate 'em and you either get a jewel or a polished turd..........
I've always had lck with them...they have an excellent fixer policy if something does go wrong (I've had friends with VERY MONOR issues) and they are usually only about 2/3'ds the price of a S&W if you are on a budget.

But truth be told...they are NOT up to S&W quality...a tid bit I hate admitting. The S&W just tend to fair a lot less wear for some reason over time if you shoot A LOT..and I mean A LOT. If you are NOT going to be uising this as a daily plinker then you WONT be going wrong getting any Taurus revolver...............

Edit to add: on the NUMBER OF PISTOLS..... it seems to range per the county. I've 4 on mine, have run acrross a few...very few with 5...while the standard seems to be 3 guns on the permit.

Maddog5150
10-31-2007, 1:02 AM
I dont hate Taurus because they arnt the spit and finish that the Smith is. I hate Taurus because out of the two Taurus handguns I have owned (PT145 and Tracker Revolver in .357) have been junk. The revolver went out of timing after just two shooting sessions and cut up my face and arms.

metalhead357
10-31-2007, 1:42 AM
I dont hate Taurus because they arnt the spit and finish that the Smith is. I hate Taurus because out of the two Taurus handguns I have owned (PT145 and Tracker Revolver in .357) have been junk. The revolver went out of timing after just two shooting sessions and cut up my face and arms.

We have signs for people who hate Taurus around here...MU Ha hA HA hA HA
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f115/metalhead357/Pics%20for%20board%20postings/bestfriend.jpg

;) its ok to not like taurus...more for me!!!!!!