View Full Version : Took my new Springer Loaded 1911 to the range...

10-30-2007, 6:18 PM
to pop its cherry today, and to be honest, I didn't like it at first. Had to be the stiffest trigger on mid-end handgun I had ever felt. I'm sort of used to the buttery smoothness of my well-broken-in Kimber Raptor trigger, so my initial groups were all over the place. Plus, I had just been shooting my .357 revolver SA, which probably wasn't the best way to warm up for the new gun.

Anyhoo, after 100 rounds, I really ended up liking it. Yes, the trigger is a little heavier than the Kimber trigger, but it's got a really crisp break that I began to appreciate. I'm sure it'll smooth out with use. Once I got used to it, I was able to make my usual ragged holes at 10yds. I have no idea what the accuracy is like past 10yds, because I think that's irrelevant for a handgun anyway.

Unlike the Kimber, the Springfield was 100% reliable out of the box. No failure-to-anythings. I had some stovepipes and FTFs at first with the Kimber, which eventually went away. This difference may have to do with machining tolerances. For example, slide-to-frame fit of the Kimber is very tight...no side-to-side movement at all. And even after 1000s of rounds, I still need a bushing wrench to take it down.

The Springfield exhibits a little play in the slide-to-frame fit, but not a lot. I noticed it at the shop before I bought it, but it wasn't enough to be of concern. Once you unscrew the outer part of the goofy two-piece guide rod (with a Hex key:eek:), it's pretty easy to rotate the barrel bushing without a tool. That guide rod is getting replaced in pretty short order, along with the 7-rd mags it came with. I used some Wilson Combat and Kimber 8-rounders, which worked well.

In all, I ended up really liking the gun. It's really amazing how 1911s built to essentially the same specs can have such a different "character", for lack of a better term. Still plan on picking up a high-end 1911 at some point, though.

So for those who are undecided between Kimber or Springfield for a moderately priced 1911, I can't really help you. They both seem to be great guns in different ways.

10-30-2007, 6:53 PM
Cool, thanks for the review. I have a Kimber Pro Carry HD II waiting to be DROS'd as soon as my 30 days are up and already have my eye on a Springfield MC Op. Man, does it ever stop? Of course not, I should know that by now with all the goodies I have.

I'm assuming that you are saying $1k-$1.5K are moderately priced vs the $2K+ being high end?

I guess my price range for handguns could use some adjusting as I thought the Kimbers and Springfield models such as your were high end! I have it that the ones beyond that range are highly personally customized jobbies.

As long as they shoot straight, feel good in my hand and function flawlessly, I'm pretty happy.

10-30-2007, 8:46 PM
Yep, for me, +/- 1k is a moderately-priced 1911. Not to say that there aren't guns in the sub-1K range that aren't probably just as good, it's just that I don't really have the time or inclination to shoot them all prior to making a buying decision. On top of that, this was kind of an impulse buy in response to the the microstamping law...I had never actually shot a Loaded, although I had shot a few other Springfield 1911s, and had honestly found them a little coarse. Granted, those were GI, Mil-specs, and a couple others I don't remember the designations for.

BTW, I intend to acquiesce to that buying impulse several more times in the next two years.

10-30-2007, 8:51 PM
If there weren't a one gun a month limit, my wife would be even more pissed than she is now. I've been busy. I even managed to get a PT in this week much to her dismay.

I wonder if this would work:

"But honey, the law says one gun a month. How am I supposed to keep up with that if I don't keep looking to find new models I want???"