PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a gunsmith in the South Bay LA area

savasyn
10-30-2007, 4:19 PM
I'd like to find a good gunsmith in the South Bay/West Side area of LA.

Mostly I'd like someone to be able to go through C&R rifles and make sure they are safe and ready to shoot as well as other basic things like swapping sights, fitting custom barrels and other sundry tasks I'm not comfortable doing myself.

If you know anyone like this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Gator Monroe
10-30-2007, 4:22 PM
Martin B. Retting Guns (Culver City Ca.):cool2:

savasyn
10-30-2007, 4:30 PM
Really? That's funny, I've shopped there many times recently but never asked if they did any smithing. I guess after years of asking every shop I went to down here and getting a "no", I just stopped asking.

Thanks! I'll ask them when I'm up there next.

Electric Factory
10-30-2007, 7:33 PM
Martin B Rettings hasn't had a gunsmith on call for years. The guys who used to be there- a guy named Phil and a big tall guy with a pony tail- were excellent smiths who knew their stuff .
Unfortunately they haven't been there for at least two years and possibly much longer.
The best you can hope for from Rettings now is to get your scope mounted IF you buy the scope+rifle from Martin B Rettings.

Really? That's funny, I've shopped there many times recently but never asked if they did any smithing. I guess after years of asking every shop I went to down here and getting a "no", I just stopped asking.

Thanks! I'll ask them when I'm up there next.

Gator Monroe
10-30-2007, 7:44 PM
Martin B Rettings hasn't had a gunsmith on call for years. The guys who used to be there- a guy named Phil and a big tall guy with a pony tail- were excellent smiths who knew their stuff .
Unfortunately they haven't been there for at least two years and possibly much longer.
The best you can hope for from Rettings now is to get your scope mounted IF you buy the scope+rifle from Martin B Rettings.

Call and ask them anyhoo (Business may have picked up enough lately for them to have hired someone part time):rolleyes:

ar15barrels
10-30-2007, 8:48 PM
I'd like to find a good gunsmith in the South Bay/West Side area of LA.

Mostly I'd like someone to be able to go through C&R rifles and make sure they are safe and ready to shoot as well as other basic things like swapping sights, fitting custom barrels and other sundry tasks I'm not comfortable doing myself.

If you know anyone like this, please let me know.

I might know a guy just down the street a few blocks from Retting. ;)

accordingtoome
10-31-2007, 8:24 AM
+1 for Randell.:)

rksimple
10-31-2007, 9:57 AM
Randall knows his sh**. I'd go there first.

Gator Monroe
10-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Randall did you go to HS in CC ?:eek:

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Randall did you go to HS in CC ?

No.

savasyn
10-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Randall,
Should I just bring the bulk of my collection over next week for you to work on? ;)

What are we up to now in non-AR work?
1)Rem700 bolt
2)Glock sights(possibly two sets)
3)Mag rebuild kits(ok, that's for ARs)

Wanna safety check my M1903 as well?

Now that I've decided not to go 6.8SPC on my next build, I might end up getting the sweet target upper I alway check out when I'm over.

saki302
11-04-2007, 2:06 AM
If you just need a quick function check and to make sure the gun is relatively safe for firing, I can take a look free if you pass by L.A.. I've probably owned and disassembled almost every semi auto C&R rifle (aside from uber pricey ones, i.e. G43, Johnson- but I'd love to get a chance to handle those!).

I've got a few headspace gauges, but a buddy of mine probably has whatever I don't.

-Dave