PDA

View Full Version : Precision Shooting Accessories

DJDace
10-30-2007, 11:35 AM
So I want to finish purchasing/making my precision shooting accessories. I made myself a leather rear bag a few weeks ago which made a big difference on my overall stability for prone and bench shooting. I'll very likely be making my own shooting mat as well in the coming weeks, something that rolls up easily for storage and has an attached blast mat to cut down on the dust signature from my gill-brake.

I was looking for some recommendations on a sling I could use. I have a gas-block/folding front site on my 20" barrel. It has a sling attachment point underneath it that hangs freely between the legs of my bipod when folded. The Magpul PRS stock has 2 options of sling attachment points as well, so there are a few ways I could go with this. I imagine a service rifle type sling would be best so I can utilize it for stability when shooting off-hand stages in competition. Maybe a USGI nylon web sling or a Turner leather sling?

I'm sure a laser range finder will be an accessory I will need to invest in soon as well. Not to mention a spotting scope at some point. Are there any other recommendations for gear? Specific notebooks you use as a databook? Affordable chronographs? etc and so on. What in your opinion are small but critical items to your shooting experience. Which are bigger items but important for practice time between your matches?

Thanks for the input! The sooner I can start purchasing or making everything I need the better off I'll be.

Prc329
10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
You missed out on the group buy. Timberwolf put together a group buy on some bad *** data books that came with a cd that has matching targets. You can get the book from

http://stormtactical.com/data.htm

Really nice guy. Then again just about every serious shooter I know/met is cool peoples.

wildcard
10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
How good of a shot are you right now? I wouldn't worry about things like laser range finders and all the other accessories until you were a reasonably decent shot. Of course if you have the money.. go all out and buy it up.. it'll be nice to have. Personally.. I like to learn with the bare minimum and "earn" the best and latest. For example: learn to to use a range finding reticle before you start relying on a laser range finder.. learn to estimate wind by feel, your surrounding, or range flags before you invest in a anemometer.

For slings, I like the Turners. One word of caution is that i would NOT attach it to your gas block. You'll put stress on your barrel and likely change your point of impact. I assume your bipod is attached to a free floating forearm.. so either attach it to the forearm or the bipod. Even aside from that, if you try to attach the sling with it hanging between the legs of your bipod.. you won't be able to properly grasp your rifle when it's in use or even slinging it up on your shoulder. The sling must go behind the bipod.

I don't know what your budget is.. but I think your $$$ would be best spend on gas and ammo so you can drive out to those remote spots that'll let you punch paper at various distances.

The list of things you will "need" and "want" is a long one :)

The things you will "need" will be:
Precision rifle
Match Ammo
Scope with range finding reticle
Good rings and base
Bipod
Sling
Rear rest (sock filled with beads)

The things you will "want" will be extensive..

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
leica 1200 rangefinder, turner leather sling or TIS sling, chrony choronograph, data books, eagle claws, gunslinger, shooting gloves, knee pads, elbow pads, and the list goes on.

most important thing is just get your rifle set up correctly and just shoot it, everything else comes secondary.

DJDace
10-30-2007, 12:00 PM
How good of a shot are you right now? I wouldn't worry about things like laser range finders and all the other accessories until you were a reasonably decent shot. Of course if you have the money.. go all out and buy it up.. it'll be nice to have. Personally.. I like to learn with the bare minimum and "earn" the best and latest. For example: learn to to use a range finding reticle before you start relying on a laser range finder.. learn to estimate wind by feel and range flags before you invest in a anemometer.

For slings, I like the Turners. One word of caution is that i would NOT attach it to your gas block. You'll put stress on your barrel and likely change your point of impact. I assume your bipod is attached to a free floating forearm.. so either attach it to the forearm or the bipod.

I don't know what your budget is.. but I think your $$$ would be best spend on gas and ammo so you can drive out to those remote spots that'll let you punch paper at various distances.

The list of things you will "need" and "want" is a long one :)

The things you will "need" will be:
Precision rifle
Match Ammo
Scope with range finding reticle
Good rings and base
Bipod
Sling
Rear rest (sock filled with beads)

The things you will "want" will be extensive..

On the "Need" list, I have everything except the sling. If it's better not to use the sling attachment on the gas-block/sight base combo, then the Larue rails I have on my rifle have an option on them to attach a sling mount near the anti-rotation locking point. With a sling mount that close to the upper receiver I would likely be better off with a nylon web sling as it would be more flexible and less of an obstruction.

For now I guess I will learn to get comfortable ranging targets with the MP8 reticle on my scope at 10x power. I'll split my time between hitting steel out to 600 yards and shooting groups at 100-300 yards on paper.

I really need to push for a reloading setup before the new year :)

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:03 PM
On the "Need" list, I have everything except the sling. If it's better not to use the sling attachment on the gas-block/sight base combo, then the Larue rails I have on my rifle have an option on them to attach a sling mount near the anti-rotation locking point. With a sling mount that close to the upper receiver I would likely be better off with a nylon web sling as it would be more flexible and less of an obstruction.

For now I guess I will learn to get comfortable ranging targets with the MP8 reticle on my scope at 10x power. I'll split my time between hitting steel out to 600 yards and shooting groups at 100-300 yards on paper.

yep, get the reloading stuff first. get the good stuff right off the bat, and don't look back.

forestor press, forestor competition dies, giraud power trimmer, etc.

wildcard
10-30-2007, 12:06 PM

Oh yeah.. you have a 6.5 Grendel. Either you're paying big $$$ for loads direct from AA or you're feeding your rifle the Wolf stuff. Definitely reload so you can more affordably push those 123 gr. Scenars.

ocabj
10-30-2007, 12:06 PM
If you want a sling for standing, I'm guessing you're not shooting in CMP/NRA High Power and want this more for real life shooting. If so, get a Tactical Intervention sling. It's got the "quick cuff" that stays on the support arm and attaches/detaches easily. This is a more expedient design as opposed to rigging up a leather NM sling like we do in HP for sitting and prone stages of fire.

I can't comment on data books for 'sniper' use. The most important things to keep track of are your zeros (elevation and no-wind) and round count. You should be able account for every single round that has gone through your barrel ever since you got it. Data books tend to have pages where you plot your shots. But unless you're shooting a standardized format (i.e.: CMP/NRA HP SR,MR,LR targets and F-Class targets), the data books you select from can get less than optimal.

A laser range finder is great for real life use, but I'm wondering, do all of the precision/tactical/sniper matches allow the use of a range finder? I guess it would be nice to have if you want to test your own range estimation skills.

If you don't already have a spotting scope, you definitely should get one.

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM
If you want a sling for standing, I'm guessing you're not shooting in CMP/NRA High Power and want this more for real life shooting. If so, get a Tactical Intervention sling. It's got the "quick cuff" that stays on the support arm and attaches/detaches easily. This is a more expedient design as opposed to rigging up a leather NM sling like we do in HP for sitting and prone stages of fire.

I can't comment on data books for 'sniper' use. The most important things to keep track of are your zeros (elevation and no-wind) and round count. You should be able account for every single round that has gone through your barrel ever since you got it. Data books tend to have pages where you plot your shots. But unless you're shooting a standardized format (i.e.: CMP/NRA HP SR,MR,LR targets and F-Class targets), the data books you select from can get less than optimal.

A laser range finder is great for real life use, but I'm wondering, do all of the precision/tactical/sniper matches allow the use of a range finder? I guess it would be nice to have if you want to test your own range estimation skills.

If you don't already have a spotting scope, you definitely should get one.

depends on who's match it is. some do, some don't. timber lets us use range finders.

and yes TIS slings is where it's at. most competitors use this sling.

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Oh yeah.. you have a 6.5 Grendel. Either you're paying big $$$ for loads direct from AA or you're feeding your rifle the Wolf stuff. Definitely reload so you can more affordably push those 123 gr. Scenars.

that is gonna be one sweet flier. talk about flat projectile.

rksimple
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

This is good thinking. As you shoot more and more, you'll know what you want. Plan on making some desert trips with steel targets and shooting in matches. You'll see very quickly that the list of what you "need" gets longer and longer each time you shoot.

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
This is good thinking. As you shoot more and more, you'll know what you want. Plan on making some desert trips with steel targets and shooting in matches. You'll see very quickly that the list of what you "need" gets longer and longer each time you shoot.

warning, warning!!

precision, tactical disease is much worse than brd.

Timberwolf
10-30-2007, 12:16 PM
You missed out on the group buy. Timberwolf put together a group buy on some bad *** data books that came with a cd that has matching targets. You can get the book from

Really nice guy. Then again just about every serious shooter I know/met is cool peoples.

I've still got some on the plain ones (without SCPRC on them) and a couple of the SCPRC ones if interested.

Prc329
10-30-2007, 12:21 PM
warning, warning!!

precision, tactical disease is much worse than brd.

Much more expensive.

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Much more expensive.

yes, my empty wallet concurs.

Timberwolf
10-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's the basic equipment that I always recommend:

1. Rifle & Optics – Scoped Rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy or better. The scope should have a mil-dot or comparable reticle.

2. Ammo – Match grade commercial ammo or reloads.

3. Sling – your rifle should be equipped with a sling that can be used in shooting positions. Suggestions are either a Tuner Saddelry 1907 or TIS M24

4. Bi-Pod – front bi-pod from your rifle. I suggest a Harris swivel type with notched leg either 6-9” or 9-12” depending on your rifle and how low or high your prone position is.

5. Rear Bean Bag or monopod for rifle

6. Log Book and pen - This is the most essential part of your kit

8. Plain notebook and pen – for taking notes

9. Mil-Dot Master or calculator

10. ACI, or slope doper to use in determining the angle of your rifle when taking a shot up or downhill. If you don’t have either that’s fine get a basic protractor about a foot or so of fishing line and a small slip shot weight and you can make a poor man’s slope doper.

11. Backpack, Ruck, etc to carry your gear

Optional gear:

Camelbak for your pack.

Elbow and knee pads – I do not recommend the hard shell type, especially in the elbow pads.

Shooting mat – they’re nice and you can get a simple one or a carry everything one – I use and old bath mat.

Blast pad – an old hand towel or piece of tarp is sufficient and can be easily rolled up and attached to your pack.

PDA or 5.11 watch with ballistics software.

DJDace
10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah I'll end up picking up a good data book to use for recording all the relevant shooting information. I purchased an Uncle Mike's Heavy Duty Push-Button Sling Swivel that I can attach to my Larue rails. This weekend I'll place an order for a Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff M24 sling in OD Green. I'll be buying some material to make myself a shooting mat with an attachable blast mat. There is a really good military supply store in the area I can get a nice ruck from so I can roll up my mat and hook it on my pack.

Almost everything else listed I have (and what pieces I don't I can get in short order). I picked up some desert combat boots for hoofin' it in the hills and desert, just need some knee and elbow pads for layin in the dirt.

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah I'll end up picking up a good data book to use for recording all the relevant shooting information. I purchased an Uncle Mike's Heavy Duty Push-Button Sling Swivel that I can attach to my Larue rails. This weekend I'll place an order for a Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff M24 sling in OD Green. I'll be buying some material to make myself a shooting mat with an attachable blast mat. There is a really good military supply store in the area I can get a nice ruck from so I can roll up my mat and hook it on my pack.

Almost everything else listed I have (and what pieces I don't I can get in short order). I picked up some desert combat boots for hoofin' it in the hills and desert, just need some knee and elbow pads for layin in the dirt.

let me guess, military surplus store on reseda next to the "head" shop.

DJDace
10-30-2007, 12:58 PM

No it's actually further towards downtown. Can't remember the name, just went there for the first time this past Saturday. It had a few decent items that I would actually purchase and use, unlike alot of surplus stores I've been too. The boots I picked up are fantastic.

wildcard
10-30-2007, 1:02 PM

You noticed the surplus store on your way to the head shop huh? :)

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 1:08 PM
You noticed the surplus store on your way to the head shop huh? :)

i used to go there in my high school days.

remember brands like graffix and dvs?

wildcard
10-30-2007, 1:17 PM
i used to go there in my high school days.

remember brands like graffix and dvs?

Nope :43:

PistolPete75
10-30-2007, 1:18 PM
Nope :43:

guess you remember, they make wonderful baking assessories to make muffins and toast.

uscbigdawg
12-04-2007, 2:51 AM
As far as slings go, I'm partial to the Viking Tactics sling for 90% of everything, but from certain positions, the quick-cuff is awesome.

Rich

ar15barrels
12-04-2007, 11:36 AM
As far as slings go, I'm partial to the Viking Tactics sling for 90% of everything, but from certain positions, the quick-cuff is awesome.

I'm glad I'm not the only one...
I'm actually sinking some uncle mike's QD cups into my 308's stock so I can use my LaRue Vtac sling. :D

Prc329
12-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I need to get a set of hk hooks for my sling.

uscbigdawg
12-05-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one...
I'm actually sinking some uncle mike's QD cups into my 308's stock so I can use my LaRue Vtac sling. :D

Randall - Twice in one day!

Yeah the Viking Tactics/Blackhawk/Larue V-Tac sling is just awesome. I've used in competition on my AR's & long guns. This is my second year (freakin' straight!) being out of the US and having to carry an M-4 and another one is here with me.

The Quick-Cuff sling, was a big surprise. Got the recommendation to try it from Mike Voigt. With a vote of confidence like that, I had to. Awesome for holding position.

Rich

ar15barrels
12-05-2007, 12:49 AM
The Quick-Cuff sling, was a big surprise. Got the recommendation to try it from Mike Voigt. With a vote of confidence like that, I had to. Awesome for holding position.

I might have to check one out then.
I shot IPSC with Mike Voigt a couple weeks ago at SWPL.

12-05-2007, 3:56 PM

When was this group buy? I missed it.:mad:

Prc329
12-05-2007, 4:22 PM

PM Timberwolf and see if he has anymore.

Timberwolf
12-05-2007, 4:31 PM

I have a couple of the plain ones left and maybe one SCPRC one - hit me a PM and I'll fix you up.

wildcard
12-06-2007, 9:18 AM
Dudes.. I just got my Blackhawk elbow pads and they just ain't designed for my asian frame. I need to start working out more to stretch out that elastic a bit!