PDA

View Full Version : 870 Express Modifications

timmy8151
10-30-2007, 9:54 AM
I just bought a 18" 870 Express Magnum and want to do a couple of modifications to it.

First the gun came with a Remington +2 extension, but the dimples need to be removed. The 2 methods that I found online were 1) Socket & Hammer 2) Dremel & Drill. The Socket and hammer seems cleaner but with more chances to damage the tube. The dremel method appears to be easier to do. I'd just like to know which method people here have used. Also how much do you think a gunsmith would charge to do this work??

Second I bought a Scattergun jumbo safety. Do I need any other parts to install this safety?

Pulsar
10-30-2007, 7:38 PM
I do the dremel method my self, and a gunsmith would probably charge about $25-$40 to do it. It's easy to do and only takes a couple minutes, just keep putting the follower into the tube until it slides by the dimples easily (using the non grooved parts of the follower of course).

mike100
10-30-2007, 7:43 PM
Are you sure you even have dimples??? the riot guns with the factory mag extension shouldn't have dimples as the spring and shells run through that part of the tube. Your bbl will have the ball detent and a mag clamp. It is the regular sporting model express's that have the cheaper non-detent method of bbl retention. The captured spring clip under the dimples probably save a few dollars in production, but the HD model is already a $300 gun so they can offer the normal manufacture.

ar15barrels
10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
My 870 express had the dimple.
I just drilled a hole right in the middle of it that was big enough to remove the dimple.
Should take 5 minutes to setup and drill it in a milling machine.

M5police
12-10-2007, 3:32 PM
I had a friend use a dremel to remove his. It was fine afterwards. I m guessing you got an older model gun cause the new ones dont have the dimples.

Pulsar
12-10-2007, 5:12 PM
I had a friend use a dremel to remove his. It was fine afterwards. I m guessing you got an older model gun cause the new ones dont have the dimples.

Actually they still do, depends on the particular model. The Express still uses em, but some of the higher end 870's don't. TBH I haven't really seen a rhyme or reason why remington uses the dimple sometimes and others it doesn't, except of course for the guns with the factory mag extensions.