PDA

View Full Version : moss 590a1 safety problem

bigpig1
10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I have the mossberg 590a1. I took it out a few weeks ago and had the safety on. When I went up to shoot it, I took off the safety and a ball bearing fell out of the safety switch. Now its stuck in the safe mode and wont fire at all. I was wondering how I can fix this problem. I have owned if for about 9 yrs and never had a problem with it. I was wondering if I am able to access the safety mechanisim from inside. Havent had the time to take a peek but the screw on top is a one way screw. I was wondering if there is a special tool that take the safety switch off. Any web site to smith the thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
:chris:

-hanko
10-30-2007, 3:45 PM
I have the mossberg 590a1. I took it out a few weeks ago and had the safety on. When I went up to shoot it, I took off the safety and a ball bearing fell out of the safety switch. Now its stuck in the safe mode and wont fire at all. I was wondering how I can fix this problem. I have owned if for about 9 yrs and never had a problem with it. I was wondering if I am able to access the safety mechanisim from inside. Havent had the time to take a peek but the screw on top is a one way screw. I was wondering if there is a special tool that take the safety switch off. Any web site to smith the thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.
:chris:
The only way to access the safety is from inside...

Remove the trigger group, barrel, and bolt. Remove the screw and safety button from the outside of the gun, and the internal parts from the inside.

Parts should be easily available at a local gunsmith; if you can't remove the screw I'd leave the receiver/stock assembly with the smith. Get the screw replaced with a REGULAR screw.

hth

-hanko

bigpig1
10-30-2007, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I will do that. I cant remove the safety button from the outside due to the screw that it is holding it is a one way screw and it only screws tighter. I guess I will have to take it to the smith. Any one know of a smith in the riverside area?

Thanks again!

Corbin Dallas
10-30-2007, 8:41 PM
How did a ball bearing fall outta this???

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/07/38/22573807.jpg

:D

bigpig1
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Thats what I dont understand either.....
When I went to push the button up to take it off of the safe mode. I noticed that it was kind of hard to push. When I gave it some force it went up and a ball bearing about 1 to 2 cm in diameter came out and fell in my hand. I went to check the safe button and it was loose to the touch and stuck in the safe mode. Weird... How did a ball bearing came out of this???

I checked the mossberg site and all they had was the exploded view of the shotgun. It doesnt mention anything about the safety. The closest it came to the safety is the trigger assembly, unless its attached some how to the trigger assembly... Which it should..

-hanko
10-31-2007, 6:17 AM
Thats what I dont understand either.....
When I went to push the button up to take it off of the safe mode. I noticed that it was kind of hard to push. When I gave it some force it went up and a ball bearing about 1 to 2 cm in diameter came out and fell in my hand. I went to check the safe button and it was loose to the touch and stuck in the safe mode. Weird... How did a ball bearing came out of this???

I checked the mossberg site and all they had was the exploded view of the shotgun. It doesnt mention anything about the safety. The closest it came to the safety is the trigger assembly, unless its attached some how to the trigger assembly... Which it should..
If the bearing is ~1-2 [b}MM[/b], it serves as a detent to lock the safety in the safe or fire mode. Possible failure mode maybe a loose screw on the safety.

There is no direct connection between the trigger assembly and safety...i.e., you can remove the trigger group without disassembling the safety.

-hanko

bigpig1
10-31-2007, 9:28 PM
Thanks -hanko, I will check to see if it is only loose.

Utha Schleigle
10-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I have a few Mossberg shot guns and they all have this problem. I removed the safety because I wanted the guns to fire. My guns usually kick the safety on after each shot and I blamed the ball bearing.

You can get a ball bearing and pop it in there - then tighten the screw.

You remove the safety by walking the screw by use-ing a sharp punch or small screw driver and a small ball pine hammer. Replace screw with standard screw. You must dis-assemble and remove the trigger group and keep both part of safety.

Take off safety AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! Keep the parts if need to reinstall.
Many would say I am stupid to do this, but I want the guns to go off.

A GUN SMITH is allways recommended. If you go to some ranges or training events/courses hunting they may require a working safety. They may bounce you out without delay, because a gun without a safety puts you in a "BAD" group people. So go with a working safety. Your friends may start asking funny questions and giving you funny looks. Funny question example (Have you had enough Vodka toasts to Stalin's Portrait before we start shooting?) or (Where is your bayonette for your shotgun?)

Winchester's do not have this problem because of side bar safety on trigger guard, but i still prefer Mossberg with no safety.

bigpig1
10-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks Utha Schleigle, Finally someone that has had the same problem.... I dont mind taking the safety off because its only for home use and is always stored away and I have no kids to worry about. I was wondering about how you mean by walking the screw... I havent had the time to check the screw to see if it is loose enough to walk it out, but do I have to remove the trigger group before I can remove the safety? feel free to pm me.

Thanks again fellas

Utha Schleigle
11-01-2007, 9:18 PM
Do you live in an apartment. Think out the ammo you are going to use. 00buck are like 10 .36cal cap and ball pistols going off at the same time. Slugs and sabots will go through many walls.

Bird shot is not much good beyond 3ft away. #2 buck or BB magums might work.

What do you use the shotgun for or intended use.

You have to remove the trigger group, because the safety is four parts screw/outside lever/ball bearing/inside part that blocks trigger sear. If you just unscrew the lever from the outside the inside parts will drop inside the action and jam it and gouge stuff.

ar15barrels
11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Bird shot is not much good beyond 3ft away.

What have you been smoking?

Birdshot or buckshot has an average expansion of 1" per yard from cylinder bore shotgun barrels.
A typical room is maybe 5 yards across.
This means you have all shot in less than a 6" circle at "across the room" ranges.
How can you say birdshot is only good for 3 feet?

Utha Schleigle
11-02-2007, 11:21 AM
What have you been smoking?

Birdshot or buckshot has an average expansion of 1" per yard from cylinder bore shotgun barrels.
A typical room is maybe 5 yards across.
This means you have all shot in less than a 6" circle at "across the room" ranges.
How can you say birdshot is only good for 3 feet?

Because I like to see if I can set their shirt on fire. The pelets that small do not have much penetration. BB or #2 buck ( equall to .22cal bal) may have a different efect. Depending on what they wearing and how tough they are you might have a wounded in pain bleeding person who may not like you anymore; at this point they may want some of the dope I'm smoking.

My neice works in the trama ward and she gets to pick the bird shot of people. Bird shot goes aprox 1/4" to 1/2 inch into most people. When the shooter knows how to buy ammo, she does not get to see them (the corener or surgens get to see them).

You did bring up a good point about shot patterns. Some people don't realize that a shotgun has be aimed at any distance - at any target - to get the maxium desired effect.

ar15barrels
11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
My neice works in the trama ward and she gets to pick the bird shot of people. Bird shot goes aprox 1/4" to 1/2 inch into most people.

I guarantee you that if you are robbing someone's house and you take a full ounce of lead shot to your body, that you are most likely going to re-consider your current career choice.

While I would prefer the perp is dead, if he stops doing whatever it was that justified my shooting him, that's good enough for me.

Utha Schleigle
11-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes I think you are correct. Usually the sound of a pump shotgun - loading - from a darkened room - would give most folks the willies. I would start to think of other places to be and other things to do.

When I bought my mossberg 590a = the store had two types available. A=blued with ghost sights and M16 bayonette lug or
B=OD parkerized and no sights and lug.

I took the blued one and have the short bayonette, (still looking for long bladed M16 Bayonette. I took off the safety and still looking for that too.