PDA

View Full Version : New Gun and New Shooters

What Just Happened?
10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
So this last Sunday was a great day. First, I went to go pick up a new handgun. I already have a Sig Mosquito (.22) and a CZ P-01 (9mm). My grandfather had given me his old S&W Model 10 (.38 Special), but I hadn't taken it out to the range yet. I had also just finished up my 10 day waiting period for my nice, new SA stainless steel 1911 Mil-spec. Gotta get that variety of ammo.

And to make the day even better, I took four of my friends (three of whom had never held a firearm in their life, much less fired one) shooting with me. Honestly, I'm nowhere near good at shooting, but I did my best to instruct those who haven't gone shooting before. With a big emphasis on safety (of course). Everyone had a blast. And wow, you get quite a light show with the S&W.

I'm not going to post pics of my targets because I'd just embarrass myself. I get about 4" groups at 14 yards that are 2" low. I know my problem. I anticipate the recoil. I'm currently using snapcaps to help my correct my problem. Another part of my problem is I'm impatient.

P.S. I know, I know. Thread without pics = worthless but I need to get ahold of a digital camera first. I moved about three months ago and I still don't know where some of my stuff is. I might just end up borrow my roomies for some quick pics.

Rums
10-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a great day! I personally love taking new shooters out and sharing with them something I enjoy so much. How long have you been shooting for?

Franksremote
10-31-2007, 11:57 PM
... I anticipate the recoil. I'm currently using snapcaps to help my correct my problem. ...

The snapcaps are a good idea, dry fire 15 minutes a night and you'll see a dramatic difference; don't forget to work on your grip at the same time.

Another good (live fire) drill is to have a friend load your mags for you with a few dummies randomly thrown in. You won't know which ones they are and it'll show you if you're still flinching when you unexpectedly come across them. ;)

rkt88edmo
11-01-2007, 8:24 AM
Also, are you following through on the sight picture?

What Just Happened?
11-01-2007, 5:42 PM
How long have you been shooting for?

I have four handguns... that translates into five months.

friend load your mags for you with a few dummies randomly thrown in

Yeah, I've been doing that by myself, closing eyes while loading rounds with dummies in the mix. Sadly, I still have a little bit of flinch, but enough that it'll make the round not hit where I'm aiming. I just keep working at it.

Also, are you following through on the sight picture?

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by that. Please elaborate.

rkt88edmo
11-01-2007, 7:50 PM
Excellent technical discussion here:
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5359

Short answer: Before the shot breaks you are hard focusing on the front sight. As the shot breaks you continue to focus on the front sight. After you hold the trigger to the rear and regain your sight picture.

PistolPete75
11-01-2007, 10:28 PM
start with the less recoiling calibers, and work your way up. stick with shooting paper. steel can make you lazy, and develop poor shooting habits.

an alternative method of getting rid of your flinch is go shoot benchrest style rifle shooting. learn trigger control, and proper breathing techniques. go back to shooting pistol, and i can garanty that you'll shoot better.

also stay away from snappy pistols like short nose revolvers and compact semis. shoot fullsize pistols first peferably w/ 4-5inche barrels. this will help you control and aim the pistol.

Applehaus21st
11-02-2007, 8:47 PM
I think its great that you took the time to bring your friends out to shoot. Hopefully, they all become 2nd Amendment supporters.

What Just Happened?
11-03-2007, 1:17 AM
I think its great that you took the time to bring your friends out to shoot. Hopefully, they all become 2nd Amendment supporters.

Luckily, they all enjoyed it. Whether or not they'll be 2nd Amendment supporters.... I doubt it, they're an apathetic bunch, politically.

As for the rest, thx for the shooting advice. I'll have to take a good long read of it all.