PDA

View Full Version : Duracoating pistols

pklin1297
10-29-2007, 7:33 PM
Hello all,

I have tried Norrell's oven-cure paint on ARs before with success and have the full setup to paint firearms, with the exception of a blasting cabinet. I would like to give duracoat a try now on my Glock slide (black, some bluing lost), and frame (FDE), and I would like to know if anyone attempted this with just deep cleaning but no blasting? Just would like to know if adhesion might be a problem. Norrell's paint was done without blasting but that is holding up well and adhered well to anodizing...

If you have tried it without blasting on any other types of pistols I would like to hear about your experience also. Thank you!

P.S. also, what is the best method you've found to quickly measure the required ratio of paint to hardner for duracoat?

Pete

Edit: I guess I should've posted this in handgun or gunsmithing sections... I did mention the AR though. :)

drawn
10-29-2007, 8:32 PM
After blasting I've found the fastest way to measure is 6 Dixie cups of DuraCoat and then 1/2 Dixie cup of hardener, 1/4 Dixie cup each of what ever additives may have been specked, Pour into HVLP , throw away dixie cups.:):)

arfan66
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Or you could follow the DuraCoat instructions and use the metal measuring spoons (IIRC it's 2 tablespoon's paint + 1/2 teaspoon of hardener).

I blasted my AK build and it's holding up really well. My AR build was just solvent cleaning and abrading shiney surfaces with scotchbrite. The paint chipped off the santoprene ladder style rail protectors fairly easily but I kind of anticipated that was going to be the case.

Jeff

Roccobro
10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Or you could follow the DuraCoat instructions and use the metal measuring spoons

I went to the $.99 store and got some measuring spoons. Wife thanked me and my P32 and AK stocks all came out great. Only cleaned the P32 with the Lauer blast solvent beforehand.

No durability update as it's only been a few weeks on a pocket holster gun and an unfinished AK build...

Justin

pklin1297
10-30-2007, 10:06 AM
After blasting I've found the fastest way to measure is 6 Dixie cups of DuraCoat and then 1/2 Dixie cup of hardener, 1/4 Dixie cup each of what ever additives may have been specked, Pour into HVLP , throw away dixie cups.:):)

What other additives can you add to the mix Drawn? Textured speckling? That sounds interesting to add grip... The only other method I've heard of is to spray bedliner on it first then spray duracoat over it...

Pete

Roccobro
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm sure that a possibility if you have a sprayer to accommodate solid particals. I've read that ground walnut shells are good to use to add texture to paint (like tumbling media). Sand is almost free too. :D

Justin

pklin1297
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I have a good quality art sprayer that handles thick paints just fine, but I probably wouldn't want to run sand through it. :) I guess I'll just have to get a HVLP... Darn... :)

Roccobro
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
My airbrush was less than $2 from Harbor Freight and works great. Came with 5 spare bottles and valves that just snap into place for a quick change.

Paasch has a really nice hobby airbrush sprayer for about $40. I put the difference saved towards a pancake compressor to be used for many other things besides painting. :D

Justin

pklin1297
10-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I got the IWATA SAR when I started painting and have been very satisfied. I've been painting plastic models for a while and a good brush makes all the difference. Next step is a bigger compressor and blasting booth. :) Eventually I want to be able to have a plating shop in my garage...

Roccobro
10-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Somehow I think that is better than the Paasch... :D

Justin

pklin1297
10-30-2007, 2:55 PM
I own a Paasch also, the VL series and they work great also. The all stainless construction of these are definitely easier to clean, and the spray width/pattern is also easier to adjust on the Iwatas.

drawn
10-30-2007, 4:15 PM
What other additives can you add to the mix Drawn? Textured speckling? That sounds interesting to add grip... The only other method I've heard of is to spray bedliner on it first then spray duracoat over it...

Pete

What I meant was specked as in specified but you are correct I have additives from LCW that some of which are only available to certified dealers. One of which is texturing as an additive. Along the same lines as the truck bed idea but formulated to react with DuraCoat and gives a light to heavy texture. I'll wait until someone brings up spiderweb effect to talk about that one.

pklin1297
10-30-2007, 5:52 PM
I've seen versions of the spiderweb effect... Pretty awesome when performed right. :)