PDA

View Full Version : Laws signed into effect

FCOD
03-31-2013, 8:47 AM
Do laws that are signed into effect such as the 2014 long gun registration law have any chance of being overturned or do we just bend over and take what's coming? I'm not familiar with how laws work and I know that CGF and CalFFL put in good fights to keep what few rights we have left.

IVC
03-31-2013, 9:39 AM
It's a very broad question. Once a law is signed, there are two paths: (1) it gets challenged in court, (2) it doesn't get challenged. If it gets challenged, there are again two paths: (1) we get a preliminary injunction preventing the law from going into effect until it's resolved in courts; (2) the law goes into effect while challenged.

Before a law is signed, though, we can have it die in committee, not pass and/or get vetoed by the Governor. All of the above had happened in the past based on how poorly the law had been written.

At this time, some laws will certainly be challenged immediately, while some others, such as registration, are likely to remain. Registration opens door for future serious infringement (confiscation), but by itself is not easy to challenge.

FCOD
03-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks for clarifying. Is there any foresight to challenge the 2014 long gun registration bill? Or will we not know until 2014?

Librarian
03-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for clarifying. Is there any foresight to challenge the 2014 long gun registration bill? Or will we not know until 2014?

Doesn't seem very likely, to me, to be successfully challenged.

When proposed, the question was asked 'We register handguns, why not long guns?'. The other question - 'Yes, we register handguns; how much good is it doing?' was asked, but ignored. (The honest answer to the second, 'not much', should have led to the opposite proposal, 'stop registering handguns'.)

For no reason I can understand, 'registration' is largely thought to be a good thing.

Shotgun Man
03-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Jerry Brown's signing statement was just that-- we register handguns, why not long arms?

Edwood
03-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Retroactive registration of the millions of Lowers in California right now? Yeah, that's going to go over well.

Dano2467
03-31-2013, 5:15 PM
For no reason I can understand, 'registration' is largely thought to be a good thing.

Isn't that how they are running that prohibited persons gun collection team?

Yugo
03-31-2013, 5:20 PM
Isn't that how they are running that prohibited persons gun collection team?

all they do is cross reference gun reg with things like health records, arrest records, pot licenses things like that... IMO thats what I think I could be wrong. Anyone?

arrix
03-31-2013, 5:39 PM
How does this affect building your own rifle from a 80% lower?

Dano2467
03-31-2013, 5:45 PM
all they do is cross reference gun reg with things like health records, arrest records, pot licenses things like that... IMO thats what I think I could be wrong. Anyone?

So if they didn't have the handgun registry they wouldn't have a starting point

c good
03-31-2013, 5:51 PM
Retroactive registration of the millions of Lowers in California right now? Yeah, that's going to go over well.

Not retroactive IIRC....

dustoff31
03-31-2013, 5:57 PM
How does this affect building your own rifle from a 80% lower?

After the effective date, when it's finished, and becomes a 100% receiver, it will have to be registered.

toy4two
03-31-2013, 6:15 PM

Where does this number come from? I'm just curious, I've read in the press there are 166,000 AR15 owners in California. Is that quoted number even close, 166k and 1 million is a huge difference.

Oceanbob
03-31-2013, 6:21 PM
Nothing is retroactive. When you transfer or buy a long gun after 1/1/14 the info on make, model and serial number gets into the DROS system. And that is automatic registration.

Slowly, step by step, it is happening.

Edwood
03-31-2013, 6:22 PM
Where does this number come from? I'm just curious, I've read in the press there are 166,000 AR15 owners in California. Is that quoted number even close, 166k and 1 million is a huge difference.

Kind of curious on actual numbers too after the panic settles. When I picked up my lower receiver the other day from it's 10 day in the pokey, there was another guy picking up 6 of them. Likely bought to flip them for profit, but who knows, maybe he's stocking up.

Edwood
03-31-2013, 6:24 PM
Nothing is retroactive. When you transfer or buy a long gun after 1/1/14 the info on make, model and serial number gets into the DROS system. And that is automatic registration.

Slowly, step by step, it is happening.

Ah, so previous rifles will be grandfathered, more or less. Not a requirement of exiting owned rifles having to be registered before 1/1/14? Seems like they kept trying to fudge the language of that one on the bill.

Oceanbob
03-31-2013, 6:28 PM
Ah, so previous rifles will be grandfathered, more or less. Not a requirement of exiting owned rifles having to be registered before 1/1/14? Seems like they kept trying to fudge the language of that one on the bill.

Yes. That is our hint to stock up. ;)

Vladimir
03-31-2013, 6:53 PM
Kind of curious on actual numbers too after the panic settles. When I picked up my lower receiver the other day from it's 10 day in the pokey, there was another guy picking up 6 of them. Likely bought to flip them for profit, but who knows, maybe he's stocking up.

probably not profit. I saw people buying bundles pack of 20 lowers. people are just stocking up most likely:]

arrix
03-31-2013, 8:21 PM
After the effective date, when it's finished, and becomes a 100% receiver, it will have to be registered.

Looks like it only affects home builds if you plan on transferring it to someone else.

FCOD
04-01-2013, 7:11 PM
People are nuts... this state is nuts.

ke6guj
04-01-2013, 8:41 PM
After the effective date, when it's finished, and becomes a 100% receiver, it will have to be registered.incorrect. There is no law currently on the books that require you to register any non-AW, non-NFA Title I firearm that you make, handguns or long guns. that will not be changing 1-1-14.

registration only happens on transfer or importation, not manufacture.

mmayer707
04-01-2013, 8:56 PM
^ Good to know.

Wherryj
04-05-2013, 9:35 AM
Doesn't seem very likely, to me, to be successfully challenged.

When proposed, the question was asked 'We register handguns, why not long guns?'. The other question - 'Yes, we register handguns; how much good is it doing?' was asked, but ignored. (The honest answer to the second, 'not much', should have led to the opposite proposal, 'stop registering handguns'.)

Yes, by the government. Registration makes it much easier to locate the guns when the government does finally get enough corrupt judges and enough stupid voters to allow them to confiscate.

Guns are a pesky thing for government. It means that they must remain reasonable, at risk of an armed populace disagreeing with their schemes. ALL governments have disarmament as one of their top "wishes" on the list.