PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Should I get a Colt 1991a1 or GLOCK as first gun?

20!2
10-29-2007, 9:18 AM
This will be my 1st handgun, but I'm going through the 10 days waiting period for a Remington 870 12ga. now.

I have been looking at the GLOCKs a lot because I thought I was going to get a 9mm G17 as my HD/ range plinker. Then after a few weeks perusing the various webpages, I am really drawn to the 1911 pistols, and narrowed it down to a 1991A1 .45ACP from Colt. Both prices are comparable, 550 for the G17, and 600 for the Colt.

I like the G17 because it's a GLOCK, a no-nonsense gun, the name GLOCK just says a lot. The 1911/1991 has great history and is a great icon, also could be a collector's item in the future?

This might be my only handgun, my wife is already aprehensive about having a firearm in the house, the 12ga. It was sort of my birthday gift so she gives in on that, so for the pistol, whether it be the G17 or 1991A1, I need to consider as if it's the only pistol I will have. So any insights, suggestions, comments are appreciated :)

A side question about CA gun law, how many firearms can a Californian purchace in any given period, any restirctions?

Thanks! :D

RAD-CDPII
10-29-2007, 9:37 AM
One hand gun every 30 days, long guns as many as you can afford to buy. If it's a PPT, then it does not fall into the 30 day rule. 9MM Vs. .45, I'll take the .45. Try a G27 in .40

PressCheck
10-29-2007, 9:44 AM
Glock 21

elenius
10-29-2007, 9:50 AM
If you're going to shoot it a lot, and not reload, then 9mm is definitely the way to go, just because of ammo cost. Unless you're independently wealthy, in which case get a 10mm ;)

ianS
10-29-2007, 9:52 AM
As a fan of both 1911's and Glocks I'd slightly lean toward the Glock 17 if this is your first and only handgun for awhile. 9mm is much cheaper to practice with and effective. The Glock is also cheaper and easier to maintain in the long run as well. 9mm Glocks are very robust reliable platforms for the 9mm cartridge. Get good defensive loads like Winchester Ranger, Remington Golden Saber, or Speer Gold Dot, maybe better fixed/nightsights, and you're set. Practice dry fire for accuracy and trigger reset for speed. The Glock 17 is one of the most effective combat pistols in the world.

maxicon
10-29-2007, 9:56 AM
One big question is which one fits you better and shoots better for you. Try them out at a range, and the question should answer itself, as they're totally different guns with totally different handling and ergonomics.

For a new handgun owner looking for a defense weapon, I'd recommend a Glock or its equivalent in another brand (I hate the fit of Glocks). It's a simpler pistol to operate, while any SA semi-auto takes more practice and has more to go wrong in the heat of the moment. With a Glock, XD, or whatever, it's much more point'n'shoot.

9mm is much cheaper to practice with, while .45 acp has more muzzle energy, but accuracy and shot placement are far more important than muzzle energy.

A modern 1911 that you buy to shoot isn't going to be collectible pretty much ever. 1911s probably hold their value slightly better than the G17, which drop a lot once you fire them (like most new guns).

If I were buying a single pistol for home defense and didn't have a lot of experience, I'd buy an XD, or a Glock if they fit me.

The SoCal Gunner
10-29-2007, 9:59 AM
One big question is which one fits you better and shoots better for you. Try them out at a range, and the question should answer itself, as they're totally different guns with totally different handling and ergonomics.

+1. Glocks work for me. I have a few 1911s but haven't been able to get really comfortable with them. The beaver tail grip coupled with the power of the .45acp hurts the palm of my hand pretty good.

glockman19
10-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Get the Glock. It and the ammo are less expensive. IMHO Glock makes the best 9mm the Glock 17/19/26/34 you can't go wrong. They are reliable, accurate and practically indestructible.

gregshin
10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
it all depends what you want out of handgun platform and what you feel better with. There alot of misconceptions about both the glock and the 1911. please do your research before picking a platform. feel free to around here for specific questions...thats what we're for.

try these forums for me info too.

www.1911forum.com

www.glocktalk.com

that being said i pick a 1911 beacuse i've tried both platforms when i first started out shooting. I now train and compete with the 1911.

slick_711
10-29-2007, 10:34 AM
For your described intentions you'd be better served by a Glock or XD. Look into the G-17, G-19, and XD-9 Service. All three are excellent pistols, very easy to operate and maintain, and will serve you well for both range & home use. I added the 19 in case you intend to get your wife to try shooting it as well. ;)

The 1911 is an outstanding platform, but doesn't sound like what your situation calls for unless it really attracts you that much. As others said, 9mm is much more affordable to shoot, so you'll be able to use & enjoy a 9mm pistol more.

20!2
10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the prompt monday morning replies! Wow what an awesome site.
I will drop by my local range tonight and try the 9mm and the .45 out.

The thing is, I think I SHOULD get the G17, like many have said, it's cheaper to shoot, less intimidating to wifey. If I do get the G17, I have a feeling that I will eventually have a 1911 as wel...

Stockton
10-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Get what you will be happy with in the end. Glock has come along way with fixing their initial issues and 1911 is well.... the standard at which most other guns derived from. Just dont fool yourself into thinking its only for one purpose. Explore the other facets of a handgun and its uses...ie personal protection/competition...when deciding on a caliber. Take a NRA class or private instruction to go along with it.

Mac

WolfMansDad
10-29-2007, 10:53 AM
You will probably wind up getting both eventually. With each passing day that your 12 gauge doesn't leap out of the closet and go on a rampage by itself, your wife's apprehension will slowly melt away. After a year or two, you will save up enough money for a second handgun, and by then she won't mind when you go to buy it.

I'd recommend the glock to start with. It's easier for a beginner to shoot well with a glock than with a 1911, which is usually considered an expert's gun. Glocks are also much easier to clean. The 1911 will jam on you, which is irritating if it's your first handgun. Some will jam less than others, but they all jam if you shoot them enough.

I've owned both, and while the 1911 does have a certain romance about it, at the end of the day I do prefer the glock.

STAGE 2
10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Because the two platforms are so different, you WILL shoot one better. Rent or borrow both and see what one you like.

I wouldn't worry too much about which one you decide though. Odds are you'll end up owning both at some point.

RAD-CDPII
10-29-2007, 11:17 AM
You will probably wind up getting both eventually. With each passing day that your 12 gauge doesn't leap out of the closet and go on a rampage by itself, your wife's apprehension will slowly melt away. After a year or two, you will save up enough money for a second handgun, and by then she won't mind when you go to buy it.

I'd recommend the glock to start with. It's easier for a beginner to shoot well with a glock than with a 1911, which is usually considered an expert's gun. Glocks are also much easier to clean. The 1911 will jam on you, which is irritating if it's your first handgun. Some will jam less than others, but they all jam if you shoot them enough.

I've owned both, and while the 1911 does have a certain romance about it, at the end of the day I do prefer the glock.

Ditto on the cleaning, 1911's are not the easiest guns to clean. I have a Colt 1991A1 Compact and a Colt 1911 Gold Cup Trophy, and I have never had a problem with jamming. I do know two people that have 9MM Glocks that have limp wrist syndrome and they both have problems with jamming. I don't have problems with them, but make sure your grip is good and tight.

proraptor
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I'd go with the 9mm glock 17 as it will be a lot easier for your wife to shoot....my girlfriends like shooting the .45 sometimes but she loves shooting 9mm cause of the less kick.

Ninja45
10-29-2007, 2:14 PM
I own 1911'S (.45's) AND Glocks in diffrent calibers. For the the ONE and only semi-auto pistol, I will vote for the Glock. Echoing what others have already said, pistol is reliable, easy to use, accurate, almost maintenance free and ammo for it is inexpensive.

Good choice for one and only pistol....BUT

You still need to shoot one and see if the pistol fits you and your wife!

Ninja45

pepsi2451
10-29-2007, 2:36 PM
I got a 9mm for my first handgun (Sig not Glock) because of the price of ammo. My next gun was a 1911 a couple months later. Still glad I bought the Sig though. I guess my point is you should buy both.;)

Kelvrick
10-29-2007, 2:37 PM
You really should consider other guns if you're relying on the GLOCK name. The Smith and Wesson MP and Springfield XD are other popular plastics in a similar price range. Have you considered other non-polymer frames like the Sigs? One "new" handgun from a dealer every 30 days. You can buy as many as you want used though through PPT. I'm sure a smarter calguns member will clarify or has already posted a clearer answer above.

Where are you located anyway? You definietely need to hit the range to find a gun you really like.

Oh, and really, look at the price of ammo before you plop down for a 1911. They make 1911's in 9mm too.

guns_and_labs
10-29-2007, 2:50 PM
Interestingly, when I introduced my wife to handguns, she felt more comfortable with the 1911 as the go-to, loaded-at-all-times weapon of last resort, because it had a safety. She was concerned that she might have an AD with the Glock.

But, inconsistently, she thought the S&W 629 (downloaded to .44 Special) was just right.

Go figure.

10-29-2007, 3:02 PM
If this "Could be your only handgun", I would also look at Sigs/HKs/Springfields/ect... If possible, I would either rent pistols or get with some friends that own some to actually shoot some before buying them. In the end I would buy the one that felt best in your hand. It was already brought up earlier, but the 1911 style pistol isn't the easiest to disassemble; however it isn't really that complex either if you can follow directions. I personally really like 1911 style pistols and would take one over a Glock (Yes, I own both). Glocks are a very simplistic pistol. They are reliable and accurate, I just would buy a Sig/HK/1911 style pistol before I bought another Glock. Just my $0.02

Stanze
10-29-2007, 3:14 PM
I bought a GLOCK 17 with the intention that this will be my only handgun for a long time, maybe ever if CA goes even more facist. However, I've been yearning for my childhood dream gun, a 1911-perferably a Springfield Armory TRP since it already has features I'd want in a 1911.

aplinker
10-29-2007, 3:18 PM
I wouldn't buy a 1911 as my first and only.

If you only get 1 gun, I think 9mm is the better choice.

You'll be able to shoot (read: PRACTICE) a lot more.

Glocks are good guns. If you're set on a Glock, get that.

I'd also suggest you check out every other 9mm out there: Sig, Beretta, XD, HK, Ruger.

In the end, you can't really go wrong with a Glock. You'll enjoy it.

DRM6000
10-29-2007, 3:33 PM
get either one. you know you'll get the other (plus many more) later. :)

i have a 1911 and it's probably my best shooting pistol. it's my favorite. i didn't think much about buying a glock, but i've acquired three in the past two months.

Wizard99
10-29-2007, 3:40 PM
If you decide to go with a GLOCK I would suggest a model 22, or 23. Then in addition to a 40 SW you have the option of getting a 9 MM, and 357 Sig barrel as well. This would give you 3 hand guns for a little more than the price of one.

RAD-CDPII
10-29-2007, 3:40 PM
One other thing that is important and was briefly mentioned, the Glock has no external safety!! If you are not use to weapons, an AD could happen. That is my main complaint about the Glocks.

God Bless The Mauser
10-29-2007, 3:49 PM
I have a 1911 and I love it, it has only jammed because of mag problems but other than that it has never jammed in 1200+ rounds. I have one 9mm handgun and that is a P38, but it is an all matching vet bring back so I don't want to shoot it that much. I am now in the market for another 9mm handgun and am stuck between either a Glock 17 or a USP. The Glock is a better price so I think I should go with that but I will probably end up with both eventually.

Millions-Knives
10-29-2007, 4:42 PM
Get a glock if it's going to be your first gun. Very user friendly, easy take down. You'll get the glock bug. And if you live through that, you'll try a 1911- fall in love with the trigger (compared to your glock) then you'll have the 1911 bug :D Then before you know it you'll have more pistols than your wife/girlfriend would care to admit and you'll have equaled your gun investment with your local jeweler's line of credit. :eek:
Welcome!
Oh, and the information you get here from other Calgunners will more than likely break your wallet... more than once. :p
But remember, money can always be made. :chris:

mike100
10-29-2007, 4:45 PM
my first pistol was a glock 22..that i later sold for a Colt 1991A1 that I still have. I really wish I would have kept the glock, but at the time I didn't want to wait to save money to get the 1911 and found an eager buyer for the glock-cash in hand.

U2BassAce
10-29-2007, 4:47 PM
Get a glock if it's going to be your first gun. Very user friendly, easy take down. You'll get the glock bug. And if you live through that, you'll try a 1911- fall in love with the trigger (compared to your glock) then you'll have the 1911 bug :D Then before you know it you'll have more pistols than your wife/girlfriend would care to admit and you'll have equaled your gun investment with your local jeweler's line of credit. :eek:
Welcome!
Oh, and the information you get here from other Calgunners will more than likely break your wallet... more than once. :p
But remember, money can always be made. :chris:

So true. Don't ask me how I know!

mur
10-29-2007, 5:20 PM
I'll take a different view of things.

Get the 1911 first, tell the wife it's for HD.
30 days later tell her it's too expensive to shoot and you need a 9mm:p

My wife was afraid of dogs and guns.
Put your foot down, I did.
I now I have 2 big dogs and multiple guns......
She loves the dogs and enjoys going shooting with me...woohoo

Greenspartan117
10-29-2007, 5:49 PM
I am going to echo what some other members are have suggested. I bought an XD as my first handgun and love it. But then I probably should have looked around more and I have now fallen in love with Sig Sauer handguns, They are very comfortable and accurate to say the least. No active safety, just a heavy double action first pull and a smooth single action on following shots. I have a P220 (.45acp), P225 (9mm), and a P226 (9mm) and I love them all, I will probably buy a P220 SAO and a P226 X-five in the future (in about 3-4 years because of school...) Give them a shot, their recoil is mild in that it is a alloy gun with a nice comfortable grip (IMO). Good luck and have a safe and happy time shooting what ever gun(s) you buy. :-)

Fjold
10-29-2007, 5:50 PM
Just a little hint when the little woman is not pleased to have a firearm in the house. Take her seriously. Address it now so it's not a bone of contention for the rest of your marriage.

Buy a safe now and let her know that you're doing so to keep the guns safe and prevent any accidents. If you want to have the handgun available get a small pistol lock box and mount it in the closet so it's not out in the open. The same thing with the safe, mount it out of sight. If she is the least bit apprehensive about guns she doesn't want to be reminded about them everyday by seeing the safe out in the open and having her friends see it in the house.
The other thing is don't sit there in the living room playing with the gun and telling her how "cool" it is, treat it seriously when she's around until she gets used to it being in the house. Play Rambo when she's not home.

RP1911
10-29-2007, 5:59 PM
Why not a Browning Hi-Power in 9 mm. Classic design and it fits a range of hand sizes.

leelaw
10-29-2007, 6:05 PM
Forget both. Get a Kimber Custom or a Springfield Armory 1911 instead :D

DesertRunner
10-29-2007, 6:46 PM
My first pistol was a Glock 17.Had it for about 7 years now.Still love it to death with no malfunctions of any kind with well over 5000 rounds through it.

I would absolutely recommend this as youre first handgun.Cant go wrong and there will be no buyers remorse because you will want a variety of hanguns in the future anyways.It gets addicting!;)

neomentat
10-29-2007, 7:59 PM
never ever buy an ugly piece of BLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are so many better choices

RECCE556
10-30-2007, 12:56 AM
+1. Glocks work for me. I have a few 1911s but haven't been able to get really comfortable with them. The beaver tail grip coupled with the power of the .45acp hurts the palm of my hand pretty good.

Does your 1911 have Slim Grips and/or a "humped" mainspring housing ("A1" style)? If so, that might be your problem.

RECCE556
10-30-2007, 1:25 AM
1911 vs. Glock is a never ending battle. There are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms. I started off with Glocks and ended up with 1911’s. If I had to do it again, I would have picked a 1911 from the start. Better ergonomics, manual safety (“cocked and locked”), better trigger, etc.

Either way, you NEED to get proper training. If you’re in SoCal, take a ITTS course. THAT is more important than which pistol to buy. Also, practice a lot and often. It won’t be a happy day if you have a negligent discharge and kill the family dog or worse...

If you do decide to get a Glock, I would skip 9mm and get at least a .40S&W. Price wise, a 500 rounds of 9mm vs. 500 rounds of .40S&W isn't that far apart. The .40S&W hits harder and makes a larger hole. It does have a little bit more "snap" to the recoil but unless you have weak wrists/arms, it shouldn't be problem. I can easily do fast double tap with my .40's and hit center mass no problem.

Also, I would take a Steyr M40A1 over a simlar Glock any day of the week. It has all the pluses of the Glock but with improved ergonomics. If you plan on using it for home defense, I would also HIGHLY recommend that you invest in Tritium night sights no matter which gun you get and some sort of bright white LED light (either mounted on the gun or a stand alone flash light like a NovaTac or Surefire)

20!2
10-30-2007, 9:38 AM
I found this:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976683217/Guns/Pistols/Colt-Automatic-Pistols/Colt_Model_1991A1.htm

Old rollmark, matte finish. Pretty decent deal NIB! Last night at the range I handled the SW1911, looks amazing. I have to say, there is nothing quite like a nice blued 1911, classy!

I think the questions comes down to yet another never ending comparison of 9mm vs. .45. Because I think the 1911 is naturally a .45 pistol. A 9mm 1911 just isn't what it should be, my opinion. With that in mind, the G17 is more realistic.

But that ORM 1991 haunts my dreams...

E. Fudd
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Fwiw, if you really are probably only getting one gun, I'd go w/ the Glock. I'd also check out the G19. If you are limited to postban mags, you may as well consider something a bit more compact, yet still controllable. This being your first handgun, I'd avoid the sub-compacts (e.g. G26/27, etc.), harder to control, smaller grip, etc. The .40s do have a bit more recoil and snap.

As to reliability, I've owned 'a number' of both Glocks and 1911's and, on average, a Glock will be more trouble-free out-of-the-box than a production 1911.

Neither are 100% lemon/Murphy proof, but I've only had a couple of glitches in the numerous Glocks I've owned through the years (all quickly fixed under warranty), while I've had significantly more problems, out-of-the-box, w/ production 1911's of various makes (e.g. Colt, SA, Kimber, etc.), some easily correctable, some not.

The 1911's are just harder to put together right and can be 'finicky' as a result, if not fitted right. Most work fine, but a significant number seem to need to be tuned by a gunsmith or go back for warranty work for 100% reliability.

They are great guns, one of my favorites, once they are proven 100% reliable. They are a bit more high maintenance than the Glocks.

Also, 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .45... ;)

+1 on training. Best investment you can make.

bigthaiboy
10-30-2007, 11:53 AM
I bought a 1911 for my first handgun. Beautiful as they are, and the .45 ACP is an awesome round, I would vote you buying a 9mm Glock as your first. I found a .45 takes a while to get used to shooting, and it just felt like it was a big "learning curve" to shoot one accurately.

At least with a 9mm you will at least be getting more rounds downrange during every range visit, as a). cheaper ammo, and b). more comfortable to shoot which = more range time = better shooting.

Once your wife gets used to having a handgun in the house, you could always get yourself the 1911 as a future birthday gift to yourself. Just give her time to get used to your new hobby.

My wife was uncomfortable with guns in the house at first, now she doesn't give them a second look. I took her to the indoor range one weekend, and we rented her a bunch of handguns to try, now she has expressed an interest in getting her own .22 revolver. I was shocked at the turnaround.

Before you buy a Glock, give the Springfield XD9 a look too.

guns_and_labs
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Another thought: whatever you get, get a .22LR topend for practice. I know 1911's have good kits, and I would suspect someone's figured out a Glock version.

There's nothing better than a few thousand rounds of rimfire for learning. Cheaper, too.

mblat
10-30-2007, 12:56 PM
If this is the first and possibly only hand gun then I would make damn sure you like what you get.
Glocks are fine, but a lot of people (me included) don't like neither trigger or grip angle.
1911 is fine, but 45ACP is fairly expensive and good one will cost close to $800+.
Id you don't like Glock - Make sure you try XD - same idea with excellent ergonomics, if iffy finish.

And of cause, my all time favorite "first hand gun" is cz75B. Best value for the money hands down.

Or big + on suggestion to look for something that has .22 adapter kit. 1911 have them, and cz75 has it. I am not sure about Glocks.....

philthy209
10-30-2007, 1:32 PM
my first gun was a glock 22. can't go wrong with a glock.

ibanezfoo
10-30-2007, 2:22 PM
This will be my 1st handgun, but I'm going through the 10 days waiting period for a Remington 870 12ga. now.

I have been looking at the GLOCKs a lot because I thought I was going to get a 9mm G17 as my HD/ range plinker. Then after a few weeks perusing the various webpages, I am really drawn to the 1911 pistols, and narrowed it down to a 1991A1 .45ACP from Colt. Both prices are comparable, 550 for the G17, and 600 for the Colt.

I like the G17 because it's a GLOCK, a no-nonsense gun, the name GLOCK just says a lot. The 1911/1991 has great history and is a great icon, also could be a collector's item in the future?

This might be my only handgun, my wife is already aprehensive about having a firearm in the house, the 12ga. It was sort of my birthday gift so she gives in on that, so for the pistol, whether it be the G17 or 1991A1, I need to consider as if it's the only pistol I will have. So any insights, suggestions, comments are appreciated :)

A side question about CA gun law, how many firearms can a Californian purchace in any given period, any restirctions?

My opinion, for what its worth, is go with the Glock. They just work. Not saying anything negative about the 1911/1991 before anyone gets their panties in a bundle. When I take people shooting people tend to be unsafe or confused about any levers or "stuff" on the weapon when I give them a Beretta or whatever. When I hand them a Glock, they just point and squeeze. As others have said, 9mm is cheaper too.

-Bryan

mike452
10-30-2007, 2:30 PM
Your choices aren't going to be collector's items! Donít be an antique road show believer!

Go with the 1911 if this will be your only handgun. You can spend money on it for upgrades and modifications in the future. You can even send it in for custom packages.
There's nothing much you can do to a G17.

20!2
10-30-2007, 7:28 PM
Is a 9mm 1911 less of a 1911? Is there a reason to get the 1911 in 9mm?

I'm thinking now that might be the right compromise, but being a purist, I do appreciate things that should remain the way they are supposed to be.

I'm not well-versed at all in the 1911 pistols to know the lineage of that caliber within that model.

Is a 9mm 1911 a freak?

mecam
10-30-2007, 8:04 PM
Why waste money on a 9? Go BIG even for a first gun.

http://www.10374.com/temp/xd/xd1.jpg

guns_and_labs
10-30-2007, 8:29 PM

I'm thinking now that might be the right compromise, but being a purist, I do appreciate things that should remain the way they are supposed to be.

I'm not well-versed at all in the 1911 pistols to know the lineage of that caliber within that model.

Is a 9mm 1911 a freak?

9mm, .38 Super, .45 acp, 10mm, .50 GI... they're all good. Collect them all.

In fact, there's a GREAT .38 Super over in the for sale forum... good place to start! [/shameless plug]

Dilinger23
10-30-2007, 9:01 PM
20!2 try shooting the glock and 1911 and see how they both feel to you.. then chose what is comfortable to you...my opinion is 9mm is a good caliber and its has some reasonable price just to shoot aroun the range.
REMINDER: The gun is only fun in the range if you have ammo.. with out them, and not to use the gun kinda beats the purpose...

E. Fudd
10-30-2007, 9:31 PM

Is a 9mm 1911 a freak?

You'll have more choices in better than factory aftermarket mags sticking w/ the .45 1911.

Maybe for your third or tenth handgun for grins, but for your first I'd go with either the Glock or the 1911 (in .45 ACP), whichever fits you best.

God Bless The Mauser
10-30-2007, 9:36 PM
I want a Glock 18 :)

Dilinger23
10-30-2007, 9:46 PM
me too....

20!2
10-31-2007, 4:11 PM
I shot both the 9mm and the .45. I feel the .45 is definitely too much for my wife and I myself need to get used to shooting it and that will take a while.

This is how the wandering trajectory goes these last couple of days:

Springer XD-9 > G17 > 1991A1-.45acp > 1991A1-9mm > Beretta 92FS > HK USP-9 > 1991A1-9mm / G17.

The bells and whistles and lots of unnecessary lines of the Beretta and Hk really hurts my eyes after the initial flash wears off.

So, back to square one, nothing beats that two great icon of modern semi-auto pistol. The G17, and the 1911 styled 1991.

The problem is, I can't find a 1991A1 in 9mm...

If anyone can point me to the right listing that will be great. I looked at gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com etc.

20!2
11-02-2007, 11:50 PM
I just want to update and thank you all for the comments! Very helpful.

I dropped by City-Arms in Pacifica today and started my 10 days for a G17. After much agonizing, I think this is the right decision. Can't wait to take that baby home!

A note about the folks at City-Arms, great people! Dimitri is low-key and knowledgeable as always. I did called a few other shops, the people at Reeds however, sounded snobbish and even when I dropped by the store, the two coots there always looks like they'd rather serve a gun nut than a middle-aged new shooter like me, shame on them.

Anyways, have a great weekend!!!

:D

MedSpec65
11-03-2007, 12:26 AM
If you're primary interest in owning a handgun is punching holes in paper targets at the range, go with the Glock 17. It's cheap, reliable, accurate and incredibly easy to field strip and maintain. If you want a handgun that will get the immediate attention of any attacker, drop 'em like a stone if a modern commercial round is placed in a vital area at CQB range and is almost as easy to maintain, go with the Colt. I know a retired San Jose LEO, now a US Marshal who once placed 7 rounds into a BG with a Glock 17 and wound up fighting for his life with the guy on the sidewalk when he continued charging him.

20!2
11-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I know a retired San Jose LEO, now a US Marshal who once placed 7 rounds into a BG with a Glock 17 and wound up fighting for his life with the guy on the sidewalk when he continued charging him.

I certainly hope there is a 1911 in my future. The two pistols, GLOCK and 1911 pattern are great examples, which is why the decision was so hard. But in all honesty I think I just DELAYED buying the 1911 to a later date. :p

My primary reasons for the G17 are practical and economical. The G17 is easy to start getting into shooting, cheap to own and cheap to shoot, easy to understand and easy to clean.

With so many 1911s out there, I got really confused, plus they all starts around 700-800, and the really purdy ones that has all the upgrades goes up to 2000.

blindluck
11-03-2007, 3:43 PM
great choice on the glock. Although It's probably too late unless the gunshop is cooperative, I would strongly recommend a glock 19 over the larger 17. There is no advantage as far as i'm concerned to the larger size of the 17. The 19 still holds 10 rounds, has a long enough site radius to be as accurate, has a long enough grip to get a good hold of it and is as reliable. The biggest plus side is that IF (HUGE if) you ever need to carry it concealed, its a lot easier with the 19. The glock 26 is even smaller but I personally can't seem to shoot it as well.

RECCE556
11-06-2007, 3:01 AM
The Glock 22/17 has a better grip than the 23/19. Unless you're conceal carrying or have storage space restrictions, I don't know why you would want the compact models.

WolfMansDad
11-06-2007, 2:37 PM
Congratulations on your new 17. It's a great gun, and I actually like that model better than the 19. The grip is more comfortable to me, and I like the extra velocity the longer barrel gives you.

For defensive loads, try +p hollow points by cor-bon or cci/gold dot. They aren't cheap, but you won't use them for practice ammo anyway. They will, by all accounts, get the job done.

Max-the-Silent
11-07-2007, 8:55 AM

Whichever pistol you choose, take the time and spend the money on professional instruction.

There is no substitute.

Getting off on the right foot by not developing bad habits will only help you in the long run.

Stanze
11-07-2007, 9:59 AM
If you're primary interest in owning a handgun is punching holes in paper targets at the range, go with the Glock 17. It's cheap, reliable, accurate and incredibly easy to field strip and maintain. If you want a handgun that will get the immediate attention of any attacker, drop 'em like a stone if a modern commercial round is placed in a vital area at CQB range and is almost as easy to maintain, go with the Colt. I know a retired San Jose LEO, now a US Marshal who once placed 7 rounds into a BG with a Glock 17 and wound up fighting for his life with the guy on the sidewalk when he continued charging him.

I disagree, the GLOCK 17 is a bona-fide combat handgun. Shot-placement and defensive round choice is key to stopping power. The GLOCK 17 and it's select-fire cousin the GLOCK 18, MP-5 and UZI are chambered in 9mm, I wouldn't call those firearms primarily "range" guns.

My GLOCK 17 is loaded with Winchester Ranger 124gr. +P JHP Law Enforcement ammo, if you place your self-defense shots in the heart or head I don't see how someone could physically continue their attack.

Ironically, my next purchase will be a 1911 (Preferably a Springfield Armory TRP if my wallet can handle it.) which I only plan on using as a range gun to punch holes in paper targets. Not saying that it can't be a combat handgun, but I have plenty of confidence in my GLOCK 17 with the proper rounds.

To the OP, you did good. Now buy some HD ammo and go to Wal-Mart and pick-up as much CCI Blazer Brass 9mm (affordable, quality and clean burning ammo) as you can carry!

I guarantee you'll get bored with your GLOCK! Why? Because you won't have to reload it as much as a 1911, mess with any thumb safeties, it won't rust, you won't have to clean it every time you use it and it will go BANG every time you squeeze the trigger!

Poohgyrr
11-10-2007, 8:57 PM
Definitely a big +1 on getting professional instruction, including the legal aspects of shooting people. Think of this as insurance to save your house, savings account, and marriage. It should also keep you out of jail and prison.

KenpoProfessor
11-11-2007, 6:16 AM
Go with a Glock, any size (SC, C, S), in .40. This way, you can always just change the barrels and swap mags to shoot .357Sig or 9mm. You can't go up in caliber, you can only go down, so buy the biggest and shoot 3 for the price of one.

You can do similar to the XDs although you're limited in barrels for the Sub Compacts. I'm still looking for a .357Sig barrel for my XD40SC, but I've got the 9mm already. Makes shooting at the range much cheaper and gets me use to the gun much better.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

kap
11-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I just want to update and thank you all for the comments! Very helpful.

I dropped by City-Arms in Pacifica today and started my 10 days for a G17. After much agonizing, I think this is the right decision. Can't wait to take that baby home!

Only one more day ...

Diablo
11-11-2007, 4:21 PM
Good choice, but eventually you'll also buy a 1911.

Bizcuits
11-11-2007, 6:10 PM
I'd get the G19, very reliable, easy to take down, and the 9mm will be cheap, meaning you can plink much more.

USMCbrat
11-12-2007, 5:54 AM
My 2 cents......

I own a SA 1911A1 and a G32. I like them both but I can not shoot both on the same day. I feel like I was born with a 1911 in my hand (almost was 'cause my Dad taught me to shoot one at a very young age). The grip on the Glock feels fatter to me. So ....When I get the 1911 bored into the 10 ring, the Glock is in the upper left. When I get the Glock bored in, the 1911 is to the lower right. Could be the G32, lighter weight with the .357Sig, is jumpy compared to the 1911 and there is no doubt to the simplicity of the Glock, but the 1911 fit in my hand soooooooo nice.

20!2
11-12-2007, 3:39 PM
Yep! Today is da day! I picked up my 12ga. SG last week. Awesome! The finish is great and I briefly looked at the XCS which has the Speedfeed I and short forend stock that I want, but then I think, the Express is great! Because it's a CHEAP AZZ HD tool! No need for marine coating :p

The G17 pick up day is today, so after work, off to City Arms I go. Good thing there is a 30 days/ gun limit, otherwise I WILL GET A 1911!!

*SALIVATE N DROOLIN' ALL OVER KB at work...*

Black Majik
11-12-2007, 4:19 PM
Yep! Today is da day! I picked up my 12ga. SG last week. Awesome! The finish is great and I briefly looked at the XCS which has the Speedfeed I and short forend stock that I want, but then I think, the Express is great! Because it's a CHEAP AZZ HD tool! No need for marine coating :p

The G17 pick up day is today, so after work, off to City Arms I go. Good thing there is a 30 days/ gun limit, otherwise I WILL GET A 1911!!

*SALIVATE N DROOLIN' ALL OVER KB at work...*

Congrats! That G17 will serve you well for a long, long time. I'll echo everyone else in looking into some sort of training, or even a basic firearms safety course. Shoot it stock for a while before upgrading and putting accessories on it. It's a great pistol in stock form.

I remember picking up my first gun like it was yesterday, LONGEST 10 days ever. :)

Sugarfoot47
11-13-2007, 9:38 AM
Congrats on your purchase. My nephew chose the G17 for his work gun when driving armored trucks and doesn't regret it one bit. I have a G19 with preban 15 round mags and it has been my go-to gun for 8 years. Glock has good customer support and even after the warranty expires down the road and in the unlikely event that you need replacement parts, there are numerous vendors online that will sell both factory and aftermarket parts direct to you, which is something that other gun manufacturers frown on. I reload ammo and 9mm is way cheaper to load as well as the purchasing of new ammo. Most of the ammo out of my 19 are reloads for three gun competition and general plinking, and it has never jammed, not even once.