PDA

View Full Version : Springfield GI 1911

tjschia
10-29-2007, 12:18 AM
First of all I have searched for the answer but was unable to find it.

I have a Springfield GI 1911 and have been thinking about sending it off to have a gunsmith do some work on it. I have been taking note on what kind of 1911s you guys send to gunsmiths (at least the ones you post about) and it seems that not too many fix up the GIs, why is that? Is there a lot more work to be done to the GIs that makes it not worth fixing up? Or is there something different about the frames that makes it less desirable for gunsmiths?

Any insight would be appreciated.
~TJSChia

gunsnrovers
10-29-2007, 5:55 AM
The GI and MilSpec are extremely common and popular base guns.

webster223
10-29-2007, 6:05 AM
It's a great base gun for a custom project. The GI doesn't come with a beavertail grip safety or high-profile sights. Adding the beavertail means the frame has to be cut; and adding some of the more popular sights, such as Novak and Heinie, may require some machine work on the slide. These things are certainly doable by a custom smith but will add expense to your project. On the other hand, you started with a less-expensive base gun.

Webster223

mumbleypeg
10-29-2007, 7:05 AM
Go to:
www.rogersprecision.com

Scroll through the first page,for some nice work on GI's.

xrMike
10-29-2007, 8:28 AM
I have been taking note on what kind of 1911s you guys send to gunsmiths (at least the ones you post about) and it seems that not too many fix up the GIs, why is that? Is there a lot more work to be done to the GIs that makes it not worth fixing up?My guess is that a large % of people who buy the GI version specifically want a bare-bones 1911 that is pretty close in appearance to the gun used in WWII. They are buying the GI for that reason, and don't intend to ever mess with it.

People who opt for the Springfield milspec are looking ahead and realizing that they'll probably customize the gun, and since the milspec already comes with the enlarged/flared ejection port and the beveled magwell (these are expensive options to have done later on the GI version, since they require milling on the slide and frame, plus refinishing the entire gun), it's a lot cheaper in the long run to customize the milspec version.

That was my thinking when I purchased a milspec...

Stockton
10-29-2007, 9:56 AM
I would suggest if you need a fixer upper then build your own from the frame up and do it burger king style...YOUR WAY! Buying the GI version is getting the barebone of an original make. Why dick that up? If you plan on spending the money anyway go straight for a custom gun out of the box and you'll save time and money.

Mac

yallknowho
10-29-2007, 6:16 PM
if you start with a 1911 frame, is that something you can put together yourself, or do you need to send it to a gunsmith?

tjschia
10-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I spent about $800 fixing up my GI to the exact specification I wanted. I sent it to the Springfield Custom Shop. It was a two week turnaround, and their work was exceptional. I replaced all the small parts except the barrel with Ed Brown and other parts. It was definitely worth it, the pistol comes back with quality.

Thanks for the tip, I looked into Springfield's Custom Shop and it looks like they have a decent amount to offer. Do you have any more detail to what you had done to the gun?

It's a great base gun for a custom project. The GI doesn't come with a beavertail grip safety or high-profile sights. Adding the beavertail means the frame has to be cut; and adding some of the more popular sights, such as Novak and Heinie, may require some machine work on the slide. These things are certainly doable by a custom smith but will add expense to your project. On the other hand, you started with a less-expensive base gun.

Great, it is nice to know I did not screw up completely in my ignorance when I bought it on the spur on the moment.

My guess is that a large % of people who buy the GI version specifically want a bare-bones 1911 that is pretty close in appearance to the gun used in WWII. They are buying the GI for that reason, and don't intend to ever mess with it.
People who opt for the Springfield milspec are looking ahead and realizing that they'll probably customize the gun, and since the milspec already comes with the enlarged/flared ejection port and the beveled magwell (these are expensive options to have done later on the GI version, since they require milling on the slide and frame, plus refinishing the entire gun), it's a lot cheaper in the long run to customize the milspec version.

The milspec look is what attracted to the gun in the first place, then I had to go and shoot a nicer 1911 and it fit so much nicer in my hand and now I want to fix it all up. I am going back a forth on whether to just get a fixed up 1911 and keep the GI stock or to fix up the GI.

Now I am overwhelmed on what to do with my 1911. I know I want to change the trigger, put different sights on, and enlarge the ejection port. Is the advantage to having a beveled magwell to make it easier to put the clip into the gun? What kind of smithing work would you guys recommend for a 1911?

eckerph
10-29-2007, 11:58 PM
I would suggest if you need a fixer upper then build your own from the frame up and do it burger king style...YOUR WAY! Buying the GI version is getting the barebone of an original make. Why dick that up? If you plan on spending the money anyway go straight for a custom gun out of the box and you'll save time and money.

Mac

You cant by a 1911 frame in Cali unless you find one for sale PPT and are limited to the dreaded roster of Cali approved handguns so youre limited on buying " out of the box " custom guns, thats why allot of people who want to build up a gun buy the GI's or Milspec's. Plus you can have work done as the funds become available.

Now I am overwhelmed on what to do with my 1911. I know I want to change the trigger, put different sights on, and enlarge the ejection port. Is the advantage to having a beveled magwell to make it easier to put the clip into the gun? What kind of smithing work would you guys recommend for a 1911?

Then a good place to start are new sights and a trigger job. Then go from there.

Stockton
10-30-2007, 7:23 AM
You cant by a 1911 frame in Cali unless you find one for sale PPT and are limited to the dreaded roster of Cali approved handguns so youre limited on buying " out of the box " custom guns, thats why allot of people who want to build up a gun buy the GI's or Milspec's. Plus you can have work done as the funds become available.

Then a good place to start are new sights and a trigger job. Then go from there.

Finding a frame is no harder than posting questions and searching the internet. Being limited makes no sense. You either get a different frame that you like and is approved or you live with a GI/Milspec however you just limited a "custom" build to a GI/Milspec frame. He never once said anything about being limited on funds so must not be an issue. Buy smart and minimize the junk drawer of parts that you never wanted from the start.

Why not just buy one that already has a trigger that dont need a job or sites?
If funds are an issue then you just end up with a gun that you didn't want in the first place. IMHO, the best part of buying a new gun is to be happier than **** walking out the door wanting to go shoot it. Not walking out the door already knowing you dont like the trigger or sights. So save up or build it from the frame up.

Mac

tjschia
10-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Here's what was done to my Stainless Steel GI (from memory):
* lower and flair ejection port
* install extended ejector
* install custom fitted match bushing
* install novak fixed night sights
* install ed brown hardcore slide stop
* install wilson combat tactical thumb safety
* Fit and Cut & blend magwell to frame.
* Satin (matte) finish stainless steel pistol
* Parts I supplied to install: S&A 1 piece magwell (arched), S&A grip safety, cylinder & slide sear, sear spring, and disconnector; the rest of small parts and springs are all ed brown. Every part was changed out save for the slide, frame, and the barrel.

This baby is so accurate... It is my favorite gun also.

Wow, that is a nice looking pistol. Thank you for all the help, now I just need to get another job to be able to afford to send it to a gun smith.

cobra198
10-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I dont have a GI myself, but I think it would be a fun project. Its cool that you can take a production pistol and turn it into something that is completely customized to your liking. - Very nice looking springer shlonak!