PDA

View Full Version : ROCKISLAND 1911??

kris&bela
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Anybody here owns this 1911?I read that it's OK....Milpitas (Target Masters) sells a basic model for $411??

50BMGBOB
10-28-2007, 10:59 PM
I got one back when they first came out for about $300 if I remember right. I wanted something I could tinker with and learn about smithing at home. I didn't want to spend the money in case I screwed up. They are a good gun for the price. The dealer I got mine from had to order it for me and was leary as it was new model. When he got it in he was impressed at the gun for the price and sold 4 more before my 10 days where up (I had told him he could show it to others while I was waiting). Is it a Kimber? No, but it doesn't cost what a Kimber does either. If you are going to want it hopped up you might want to get a Kimber up front. It would probably be cheaper, but if you want a basic gun the Armscor Rockisland 1911 if fine.

pepsi2451
10-29-2007, 9:23 AM
I got one back when they first came out for about $300 if I remember right. I wanted something I could tinker with and learn about smithing at home. I didn't want to spend the money in case I screwed up. They are a good gun for the price. The dealer I got mine from had to order it for me and was leary as it was new model. When he got it in he was impressed at the gun for the price and sold 4 more before my 10 days where up (I had told him he could show it to others while I was waiting). Is it a Kimber? No, but it doesn't cost what a Kimber does either. If you are going to want it hopped up you might want to get a Kimber up front. It would probably be cheaper, but if you want a basic gun the Armscor Rockisland 1911 if fine.

That's the same reason I got mine. I never did anything with it though. I will probably by a new gun before I put a lot of work into this one. It shoots fine though. I don't think I've had a single problem in the 300-500 rds through it. I also paid about $300 for it and I'm happy with it for the price.

double_action
10-29-2007, 9:43 AM
I have one too. It's been very good so far, only 200 rounds so far, but no problems. I paid about $330 plus fees for mine a couple of weeks ago.

morepoop4u
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I bought my a tactical from centerfire for $399 shipped.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1082

I feed it wolf all day without any problems. A 1000rds down the tube and I can shoot it better than my cz po1:D. I'm thinking of dropping in a match grade barrel to see what it can do.

50BMGBOB
10-29-2007, 1:20 PM
I have well over 1000 rounds thru mine. Changed the sights, did the trigger, put on a beaver tail and an ambi safety. Only problem was from cheap mags, not the gun.

ghost
10-29-2007, 1:35 PM
the basic rock island 1911`s are decent for the price and for a little more i`d go with the tactical version.the tactical version comes with adjustable sights and a lighter trigger from what i was told from a dealer i know.

Gunaria
10-29-2007, 4:48 PM
Dublin Guns & Knives has em' for $359 as of last Friday. Give them a call, there open until 7 PM.

morepoop4u
10-29-2007, 5:56 PM
the basic rock island 1911`s are decent for the price and for a little more i`d go with the tactical version.the tactical version comes with adjustable sights and a lighter trigger from what i was told from a dealer i know.

Sights aren't adjustable.

brassburnz
10-29-2007, 6:07 PM
I bought a used Rock Island 1911 from James at Mad Ox Firearms a while back. I sold the top end and kept the frame as a dedicated lower for a Marvel .22 Conversion with an Ultradot sight mounted to the sight rib.

I checkered the frontstrap, installed a beavertail grip safety, and gave it a trigger job. This gun is the most accurate pistol I own. At 25 yards, I can hang an empty PMC Scoremaster .22 box and hit it 10 out of 10 times. I usually stuff the box full of paper from an old target, tape the bottom shut, and hang it from the open flap. It'll swing when you hit it.

Randy
NRA Life Member

neomentat
10-29-2007, 6:55 PM
I bought my a tactical from centerfire for $399 shipped.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1082

I feed it wolf all day without any problems. A 1000rds down the tube and I can shoot it better than my cz po1:D. I'm thinking of dropping in a match grade barrel to see what it can do.

what? when was this? i tried to order a RIA tactical from centerfire and they send me an email stating they do not ship guns to CA and canceled my order.

fireblast713
10-29-2007, 7:48 PM
I've heard that centerfire won't ship to CA as well

mblat
10-29-2007, 7:54 PM
what? when was this? i tried to order a RIA tactical from centerfire and they send me an email stating they do not ship guns to CA and canceled my order.

Out friends at DDRanch had them for $350 ( 360 may be?) shipped couple weeks ago.
Give them a call.

lawnrevenge
10-29-2007, 8:16 PM
Bright Spot Pawn lists them for about 350.
Must stop there this week.

bigthaiboy
10-29-2007, 8:22 PM
I bought my RIA 1911 from : http://www.classicarms.us/index.html

It's a lot of gun for the money. It is also built to be compatible with standard 1911 parts, so upgrading parts is very easy.

ocabj
10-29-2007, 8:30 PM
Rock Island Armory 1911s are made by Armscor of the Philippines. The RIA and Armscor branded 1911s are actually pretty decent quality. I have an Armscor that I bought new for $350 and it's a good gun. It's got more heft than the Springfield Armory Milspec (which I also own). The Armscor also came with a pair of Novak 8-round magazines, beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, and low profile sights.

kris&bela
10-29-2007, 9:07 PM
You folks just made my day!Thanks for all the positive inputs.I do own a Colt and Springfield, I just want something that's basic 1911 in appearance no more bells and whistles for me.I'll check the Campbell store near my work and I'll start from there..THANKS A LOT AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU THAT RESPONDED..

morepoop4u
10-30-2007, 12:04 AM

Last march

RECCE556
10-30-2007, 12:42 AM
For in the $400+ range, I would rather spend a few more dollars and buy a Springfield Armory "GI" 1911. The RIA's aren't bad, but the Springfields are better and made with forged frames (RIA's are cast).

fireblast713
10-30-2007, 7:30 AM
For in the $400+ range, I would rather spend a few more dollars and buy a Springfield Armory "GI" 1911. The RIA's aren't bad, but the Springfields are better and made with forged frames (RIA's are cast).

That's true but you're also paying 100$ extra for a gun which will require major gunsmithing if you ever chose to upgrade it in the future, frame/slide cutting for beavertail and sights. Plus I hate those GI grips...

.45shooter
10-30-2007, 8:11 AM
Last march

I sent an email to centerfire to see if they ship to CA and they responded that they will NOT ship any handguns to this great State of ours! So if anyone knows where I can pick up a RI tactical without having to deal with the trasferring and shipping...let me know!!!

maxicon
10-30-2007, 8:18 AM
If that's not enough, you can read a lot more here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

double_action
10-30-2007, 8:28 AM
I sent an email to centerfire to see if they ship to CA and they responded that they will NOT ship any handguns to this great State of ours! So if anyone knows where I can pick up a RI tactical without having to deal with the trasferring and shipping...let me know!!!

I believe SOG will ship the tactical version to CA. Sarco will also, but they take forever . . . ask me how I know.

morepoop4u
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM

I just added it to my cart and checked out of their website. Then I called in my ffl info. It only took a few days to get to my ffl. Did you try calling it in? Who did you talk too? Maybe they the need microstamping bahaha:D

.45shooter
10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I just added it to my cart and checked out of their website. Then I called in my ffl info. It only took a few days to get to my ffl. Did you try calling it in? Who did you talk too? Maybe they the need microstamping bahaha:D

Didn't speak to anyone in particular..just sent an email to the address on their website....Maybe I will try to just drop one in my cart and see what happens...

ocabj
10-30-2007, 1:11 PM

Out of the box, I think the RIA/Armscor is better than the Springfield Milspec (like I said before, I own both). It has all the features of a SA 'loaded' model for $300 less.

I would only recommend the Milspec for anyone who is looking to build a gun for EIC pistol, where beavertail grip safeties and some of the other modern improvements to the 1911 are illegal.

outersquare
10-30-2007, 2:21 PM
I have one too. It's been very good so far, only 200 rounds so far, but no problems. I paid about $330 plus fees for mine a couple of weeks ago.

where are you getting it for $330?

double_action
10-30-2007, 2:34 PM
where are you getting it for $330?

Centerfire, Sarco, and SOG International all have the GI version for $330.

LECTRIKHED
10-30-2007, 8:14 PM
I have an armscor 1911. It is the same company as RIA. Shoots great.

DeadAhead
10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I am a believer of RIA 1911s. They are the most bang for your buck and they have a lifetime warranty with rock solid customer service.
I picked up a used midsize that's not in production anymore and the plunger tube broke off. I called Armscor Precision in NV and told them what happened, they said "send it in". AP took my pistol knowing that I am not the original owner (some companies only service original owners), within a week they called me back and said it was ready. They also recommended that I replace the gun because there were problems with this model in the past, so they offered me a brand new full size tactical. Wow, I had to take the offer. All in all I am very pleased but bummed that I lost the mid size.
Armscor also makes frames for STI Spartans.
Go to -http://forum.m1911.org/- there are many firm believers there.
If you have the book The 1911 Volume 2 by Patrick Sweeney, he did a little torture test on a RIA and had good reviews about it.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I bought a RIA 1911 a couple years ago for $300.
I have also been using it to tinker with, learn to fit parts etc...
It's been a fun project so far.

It makes me worry less than if I were hacking on an STI frame. :eek:

metalhead357
10-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Rock Island Armory 1911s are made by Armscor of the Philippines. The RIA and Armscor branded 1911s are actually pretty decent quality. I have an Armscor that I bought new for $350 and it's a good gun. It's got more heft than the Springfield Armory Milspec (which I also own). The Armscor also came with a pair of Novak 8-round magazines, beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, and low profile sights.

now it musta been just about a year ago I also read in SG new that armscor was turing out not just the RIA but the Charles Daly....... anyone???????/

DeadAhead
10-31-2007, 12:20 PM
now it musta been just about a year ago I also read in SG new that armscor was turing out not just the RIA but the Charles Daly....... anyone???????/
Yes, Charles Daly and I think High Standard now.

metalhead357
10-31-2007, 12:27 PM
thank you.

xtalpimp
10-31-2007, 4:17 PM
It was the first budget gun I bought for the above oft listed "guinea pig" reason of experimenting on.

I have to say that I did not expect much as I knew they were made in the Phillipines and it was a low buck item. I have some HK Claw mounts that are almost as much as this gun or silly flashlights that mount under pistols that are more than this gun.

But you know what, After shooting it I found that I loved the thing. Yes it has slop in the frame to slide fitting, yes the slide is cast with rough unfinished marks on the inside of the slide, but the thing works well.

No weird failures to fire and have never needed to send it back for a repair cause it aint broke.

If you are thinking of one it is one of the best dollar/values out there.

In a perverse way I love it just as much as my valtro and kimbers from the 1911 type guns that I have.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 4:19 PM
I have not gotten mine to reliably feed semi-wadcutters yet. :mad:
Unfortunately, this is the only 45 ACP bullet that I have and load with...

ocabj
10-31-2007, 6:01 PM

Really? That's all I load in .45ACP and they work fine in my Armscor.

I use both 200gr SWC plated West Coast Bullets (bought from a few years ago) and 200gr SWC Precision Bullets.

ar15barrels
10-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Really? That's all I load in .45ACP and they work fine in my Armscor.

What length do you seat them to?

I'm running a 200gr that comes out of magma molds.
Probably the same as yours.

I'm seating the front of the driving band just above flush with the case mouth.
Should they be seated out longer perhaps?

kris&bela
11-01-2007, 4:46 PM
Folks.....I finally gave in today!! That RIA G.I Spec. is mine on the 12th of this month,very nice trigger-probably around 5 lbs and clean too.I looked at the barrel and it seems that it can chamber a semi-wad round.My Colt eats up those semi-wad's without any problem (O.A.L 1.270") if not then I'll just get some FMJ'S.....THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE ++++INPUTS.....

dwtt
11-01-2007, 8:35 PM

I shoot 185 gr lead SWC and they used to jam. Then I had the feed ramp widened slightly and polished by a gunsmith and the SWC feeds fine. I am even able to get once-shot empty cases to feed from the magazine 4 out of 5 times. The work was nothing drastic, just a bit of polishing and smoothing.

ar15barrels
11-01-2007, 9:39 PM
I had the feed ramp widened slightly and polished by a gunsmith and the SWC feeds fine. The work was nothing drastic, just a bit of polishing and smoothing.

I have been doing a little of that between each test-fire session.
I don't want to go overboard on the ramp and end up with too much un-supported chamber...