View Full Version : My 10/22 slamfires. Will a stiffer firing pin spring fix the problem?

10-28-2007, 7:01 PM
Every 50 rounds or so my 10/22 will double, firing the second round out of battery, and blow the extractor off. I think a stiffer firing pin spring will fix this but I thought I would ask here first. This problem only occurs with value pack ammo, which may have more sensitive primers?

10-28-2007, 7:33 PM
Ammo is not the Problem !
That firing pin should not come anywhere near that primer until the trigger is pulled.
I would remove the trigger assembly and inspect for broken or damaged parts.

10-28-2007, 7:43 PM
Be careful. A common problem with 10/22 slamfires can be a number of things. Sometimes people have the bolt worked on and the headspace is just slightly out of spec and will set off a round with a slightly softer than normal case. If it's an old factory or replaced/worked over bolt I'd suspect it's headspace and the rim is either being crushed by the bolt itself or as it comes into battery. If it's a new rifle it may be the QC at Ruger missed something and it got out. Either way, a single spring is most likely not the problem (although replacing it might fix the problem....temporarily).

If you want to take the non-gunsmith approach you can get a pair of, or borrow, or go to a friend who has, a depth micrometer and make sure the depth is within spec (don't have the numbers off the top of my head). Sometimes the bolt may be fine but you might have a shorter than normal chamber and the cartridges engage the rifling and the rim crushes and sets off the round before the bolt can push the case in any further. Check to make sure you're not using longer than LR cases (partuclarly Stingers and Quick-shoks use these and a couple others as well). If you have a match chamber, with a worked over bolt, and use use a long case I am absolutely sure you'd have these types of problems.

Do this though, if you can: The next time it doubles grab the doubled case and see if there is a firing pin mark or not. If there is no mark, or a light mark, it might be a crush rim due to headspace. If there is a distinct firing pin mark it may be a problem with the pin. or also the headspace (if the recess in the bolt is set too far back the firing pin may be able to strike the rim).

Of course you could replace the firing pin with a titanium pin and a stronger firing pin spring. The stronger spring will give added resitance to the inertia of the firing pin as the bolt slams home and the lighter weight of the titanium will also reduce the inertia it has and make it even harder for the pin to overcome the spring. This will also remove any doubt that the firing pin is too long or that the channel is cut to close to the bolt face. If it still has problems it needs to be sent in or looked over.

Of course you could also just find someone who is selling a factory bolt and replace yours. These are quite common as the bolt gets replaced for .17 conversions, short conversions, or just for a better bolt and can be had for as cheap as $5. Then again, maybe it's time to upgrade.

Either way, I'd say it's most likely a headspace problem and not a spring problem (even though the spring might 'solve' the problem for now, it's only a matter of time before spring fatigue wears in and you will have a dangerous gun again).

10-28-2007, 8:43 PM
I have already replaced the bolt once. The first one had too much headspace and caused ruptured cases. This one seems to fit well when I put a round in and slight the bolt home by hand (there is clearance but not much). The crazy thing is, this happens with federal bulk packs, but I have put 1000 consecutive rounds of federal champion through it with ZERO failures. Do you know where I can obtain a stiffer spring?