PDA

View Full Version : Sikh man cites religion lawsuit against gun control

Dantedamean
03-29-2013, 1:02 PM
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/28/sikh-man-cites-religion-lawsuit-against-gun-contro/

Gursant Singh Khalsa, a practicing Sikh for 35 years, charges in the lawsuit filed this month that California’s laws banning military-style, semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines violate mainstream Sikh doctinre requiring Sikhs “be at all time fully prepared to defend themselves and others against injustice.”

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

bruss01
03-29-2013, 1:34 PM
I'm hoping that this guy gets support offered to him by "the right people" here on Calguns, and from the NRA and 2AF. Maybe involve Alan Gura as a consultant to proofread the legal briefs and advise on strategy. I like his claim, and I hope he has the skilled team and money to go the distance and not end in a failed case that sets more bad precedent.

atascadero
03-29-2013, 1:36 PM
Agree. very interesting.

Ninety
03-29-2013, 1:41 PM
:dupe:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=723284

Hammertime
03-29-2013, 1:44 PM
That is a Sikh idea!

SonofWWIIDI
03-29-2013, 2:10 PM
You go Mr. Singh. Hope you win and help out the rest of the population of this country!

nick
03-29-2013, 2:44 PM
Nice :)

a1c
03-29-2013, 2:48 PM
I'm with him, but it's a tough uphill fight. I can see how a court could tell him to pound sand and tell him he can just carry a knife which blade complies with local/state law.

In Britain, Sikh subjects have successfully won the right to keep their traditional headgear even when they have uniformed duties, such as law enforcement. I think it might have happened in Canada too. I might need to do some Google-fu.

Cali-Shooter
03-29-2013, 3:16 PM
Multiculturalism as a weapon against Tyranny, so so Delicious.

Eat it, you G'Damn "Liberal" Dems.

MrTokarev
03-29-2013, 4:01 PM
I hope the libs remember their mantra of tolerance in this.

sl0re10
03-29-2013, 4:09 PM
I'm with him, but it's a tough uphill fight. I can see how a court could tell him to pound sand and tell him he can just carry a knife which blade complies with local/state law.

In Britain, Sikh subjects have successfully won the right to keep their traditional headgear even when they have uniformed duties, such as law enforcement. I think it might have happened in Canada too. I might need to do some Google-fu.

The headgear can also be another interesting weapon / religion issue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakram

lasbrg
03-29-2013, 4:48 PM
This is an interesting lawsuit but it has no chance of success. The state will just say that the [allowed] kirpan dagger was the required weapon when the Sikh religion was created, that the [forbidden] assault rifle did not exist yet and that the request to possess "all weapons of all kinds to defend ourselves" is unreasonable.

Although 1A forbids the establishment of a state religion, the religious tax exemption does exactly that - determines who qualifies as a religion and who doesn't. Religions in this country are seen as a form of public charity with theistic overtones. Long-haired, gun-bearing religions will not make the cut.