View Full Version : M1903A1 pix

10-28-2007, 1:54 AM
I just brought this home on friday and spent a bit of time today cleaning it up. It didn't really need it but I want to get acquainted to how it comes apart and goes back together. I was particularly surprised to see how clean the bore was. It had dust in the 12" or so closet to the muzzle, probably due to sitting in a rack for a long time, but it had been cleaned of lead, powder and copper pretty darn well by whomever previously owned it.

I don't know a thing about the history of this particular rifle so I was hoping those with knowledge of what to look for and what markings means will have some input.

It was labeled as an M1903A1 with a C stock. I'm assuming it was restocked at some point and it appears to have a replacement bolt, though this one looks like it's been in here for a while.

On with the pix!

Here're three more of the stock markings:

10-29-2007, 8:01 AM
That rifle is so beautiful!!!

10-29-2007, 3:44 PM
I would consider cleaning the stock as it looks to me like it has alot of grease/oil in it and that stuff will start sweating out during a firing session or even in warm weather and can be messy as well as problematic. Cosmoline melts at low temp. The GI '03 stocks were made of American Black Walnut and are really beautiful pieces of furniture, once they are cleaned-up. The stock is not the original to the rifle. I'd also recommend a light coating of Pecard Antique Leather Dressing on the sling (don't use anything else).

I have 6 models of M1903s in my U.S. martial arms collection; my favorite U.S. Rifle.

10-30-2007, 8:05 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'll be doing more cleanup on the rifle this week and sweating the stock is on the. I'll look into getting some of that leather dressing, the sling could sure use it.