PDA

View Full Version : What can I rechamber my gun to?

mikehaas
10-28-2007, 1:29 AM
Worn out barrel? Bored/dissatisfied with your current round? Ok, you can buy a new gun or rebarrel your old one. But maybe you can get by with rechambering your existing tube.

So just today I activated a new tool at AmmoGuide: the Re-Chambering Guide. Once you answer a few questioons about your gun, it will search the dimensions for all 600+ rounds in the database and report which one will "fit".

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamber.cgi
(Just press 'Enter as Demo" on the login screen if you don't have an account. Currently, anybody can use the Re-Chambering Guide.)

Enjoy. Mike

mikehaas
11-11-2007, 3:10 PM
It's now *also* a "ReBarreling Guide" (available under the AmmoGuide Tools menu). A new feature allows you to create candidate lists based on either type of conversion - rebarreling or just rechambering.

Thanks to user 'eliphalet' at thehighroad.org for the constructive suggestion to add a "rebarreling" option.

Still at the same URL...
http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/aichamber.cgi
(Just press 'Enter as Demo" on the login screen if you don't have an account. Currently, anybody can use the Re-Chambering Guide.)

Example "side-by-side" query output...
http://ammoguide.com/gfx/web/rechamber22hornet.gif

Mike

metalhead357
11-11-2007, 4:46 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!

tankerman
11-11-2007, 5:25 PM
Nice feature.

Just wondering why it includes rounds with larger diameter bullets?

Rebore and rechamber?

ar15barrels
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Just wondering why it includes rounds with larger diameter bullets?

Rebore and rechamber?

Re-barreling a gun allows you to use almost any cartridge that fits the bolt head and magazine length.

Many cartridges are part of a "family".
Take 308 as an example.
You can re-barrel anything that feeds a 308 cartridge into a 243, 260, 7-08 or a 358.
These all share the exact case, just with different neck diameters.

You can also re-bore an existing barrel to a larger bore and use the same basic chamber so make a 243 into a 260 etc...
Re-boring will often cost more than just re-barreling though so it's usually reserved for use on historic appearing guns where it's desireable to retain the original finish or condition of the exterior metal rather than installing a new barrel.

tankerman
11-12-2007, 8:24 AM
Re-barreling a gun allows you to use almost any cartridge that fits the bolt head and magazine length.

Many cartridges are part of a "family".
Take 308 as an example.
You can re-barrel anything that feeds a 308 cartridge into a 243, 260, 7-08 or a 358.
These all share the exact case, just with different neck diameters.

You can also re-bore an existing barrel to a larger bore and use the same basic chamber so make a 243 into a 260 etc...
Re-boring will often cost more than just re-barreling though so it's usually reserved for use on historic appearing guns where it's desireable to retain the original finish or condition of the exterior metal rather than installing a new barrel.

I understand what rebarreling accomplishes'.

I thought some of the qualifing questions before the results are given is rebarrel? rechamber? open bolt face? (not word for word) etc.. If I select rechamber and not rebarrel and do select bolt work (as necessary) I assumed I would only get cartridge selections that would work with the existing barrel.

Oh well doesn't really matter. Thanks for the free peak.