PDA

View Full Version : SB 374 Letter Template- Ready to send!

straight_shot
03-28-2013, 7:39 PM
This is a template of what I am sending to my CA representatives. Feel free to copy / paste and send as-is or modified.

I hope that this encourages people to send a letter even if they dont have much time to write one from scratch. We are all saying basically the same things in our written correspondence, what really matters is how many people are sending it!

If you have any other "modular" arguments that people can use to build their own "custom" letters, please post them! Making advocacy strong is built from making it easier and more accessible (In this case, to people with heavy time constraints).

Here is a link where you can send it out now:

http://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/california/2013-2014/sb374/

Dear ______________,

I write you to express my strong opposition to SB 374. There are a number of reasons that I object to this legislation. This piece of legislation has a negligible impact on public safety, but a significant impact on the rights of Californians. There are a number of myths that I hope to dispel.

“SB 374 will improve public safety”

The sad truth is that no gun control bill will ever end violence in our state. This being said, everyone agrees that reasonable steps to improve public safety should be welcomed. But policy must be based on facts. SB 374 is anything but reasonable, because it singles out a single type of firearm that plays a negligible role in homicides. In 2009, 2.3 % of CA homicides were caused by any type of rifle (let alone the rifles singled out in SB 374), while fully 29.5 % were caused by non-firearm weapons. The effect this bill would have on public safety would be similar to the effect that banning chopsticks would have on obesity. It is nonsensical and uninformed legislation. SB 374 will not improve the safety of the public, but will instead negatively impact hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Californians.

“SB 374 bans something that Californians don’t need”

Most Californians would agree that the role of government does not include regulating what citizens may or may not “need”. Furthermore, there are many things that Californians own (but do not “need”) that cause far greater harm. For example, motorcycles killed over 394 people in California in 2009, which is more than 8 times more than caused by rifles (of any type). Few people actually “need” a motorcycle, since cars are far safer, and often cheaper to own. Should we ban motorcycles too? Most Californians would agree that such a ban would be un-American since it deprives responsible citizens of the many personal benefits that they gain from motorcycle ownership and use. The same can certainly be said of the thousands of CA firearm owners and enthusiasts, who responsibly make use of the firearms described in SB 374 for self-defense, target shooting, and hunting. It is not the role of government to decide whether Californians should own either detachable magazine rifles, or motorcycles.

“SB 374 makes California firearm law more consistent”

The truth is quite the opposite, since it places a restriction on firearms that are nearly functionally equivalent to those that are protected by law. For example, there are millions of registered handguns in the state of California, and recent rulings by the Supreme Court have cemented the right of Californians to purchase and own them. Most handguns sold in California today accept detachable magazines and are semi-automatic, making them functionally equivalent in terms of rate of fire and capacity to the firearms prohibited by SB 374! What is more, most handguns fire ammunition that is of a higher caliber than many models of the rifle that SB 374 bans. This bill does nothing but further accentuate the deficiency in logic used to ban one variety of firearm, even when it is functionally equivalent to another that is perfectly legal. In this sense, SB 374 only opens the door for legal action against the state.

This legislation is misguided in the facts regarding public safety in CA, and sets an unacceptable precedence by allowing the government to dictate what law-abiding citizens “need”. Lastly, the bill sets up contradictions against existing law and will only create confusion for citizens and legal costs for the state.

Please join myself, and the millions of other reasonable, law-abiding citizens of California and OPPOSE SB 374. Thank you for your attention to this matter, and for your service to the public.

Sincerely,

REFERENCES:

California Traffic Safety Report Card. California Office of Traffic Safety. http://www.ots.ca.gov/OTS_and_Traffic_Safety/Report_Card.asp

Harris, Kamala D. “California Homicide Statistics for 2011”. California Department of Justice. 2011.

jtfernandez213
03-28-2013, 8:24 PM
Thank You!

varn
04-01-2013, 10:58 PM
YES, we should oppose SB 374. But, I think that these liberal legislators will just ignore your statements and logic. You see, they just don't care about allowing people to have firearms. They want all firearms out of California, PERIOD. It does not matter what you say to them. Their minds and brains were corrupted long ago, probably as children. They desire total control over the people and now with the supermajority in our legislature, they have it and the first people on their hit list are California gun owners. Next will be property owners (with the repeal of Prop 13). They would like it if all conservatives and republicans would just leave the state. They now have no resistance and unless their LIBERAL constituents write and call asking them to vote against these anti-gun laws there is no real hope. I have found that liberal legislators just ignore requests from conservatives. If you have ever written Diane Feinstein and requested that she vote pro-gun she essentially replies with "F YOU, I am voting the way I want." California is on its way to third world status. It is nearly bankrupt (probably is already bankrupt) and is overwhelmed by illegal immigrants and unsustainable pensions. The handwriting is on the wall. My wife and I have essentially given up and are leaving my home state (for 70 years) of California. It is very sad to see the way that this state is going. It will be generations before we see freedom again in California, if ever again.

Wrangler John
04-02-2013, 6:41 AM
Write a prayer on a piece of paper, then light it afire in a fireplace or barbecue (provided it is not a Spare-the-Air day) and watch the smoke rise toward heaven. That prayer will see results before a letter to legislative terrorists.

straight_shot
04-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to encourage us all, varn & wrangler john. LOL.

I used to spend a lot of my time thinking the same way. But now I dont dwell on the negative because it takes too much time and energy. Frankly, calling my legislators is far easier and it actually makes a difference.