PDA

View Full Version : Almost bought a Glock 22 today, but...

high_revs
10-27-2007, 9:20 PM
Sadly, it didn't fit my hand comfortably like it did when I was picking up my Springer at Irvington Arms. I recall it feeling really good in my hands, the G22 that is. But I can't recall exactly if I tried it when I was purchasing my first 1911 from Martin (Irvington Arms) or when I was buying my wife's six-shooter from Irvington Arms also. Nonetheless, it felt natural in my hand.

I was so set in getting a .40 in my small collection. :mad: I wonder if it was another Glock I tried on instead. Which has smaller grips than the G22, or are they all the same?

Black Majik
10-27-2007, 9:42 PM
Maybe try the compact Glock 23? The finger groove spaces are slightly closer together so that might help. The compact Glocks feel better in my hands than the fullsize versions.

ar15barrels
10-27-2007, 9:52 PM
I bought another Glock 17 today.
Finally moving into a 3rd gen frame so I can mount a light for night matches. :)

philthy209
10-27-2007, 10:00 PM
you guys must have small hands. my G22 feels great.

BossHog
10-27-2007, 10:22 PM
you guys must have small hands. my G22 feels great.

+1. My fullsize G31 feels much better than my compact G23. Even my sub-compact G33 feels better than the compact.

Dilinger23
10-27-2007, 10:33 PM
MY G23 FEELS GREAT.. FITS MY HAND COMFORTABLEY..JUST LIKE AN EXTENSION OF MY ARM...:83:

Stanze
10-28-2007, 12:06 AM
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7081/img4787vi2.jpg

The G17(Same grip as G22) was my dream gun until I first handled one at a gun show, then I observed that the finger grooves on the grip felt ever so slightly "off" to the fit of my hand - the grooves felt like they were positioned a bit too high for my hand-fit was about 90%, undeterred I bought a G17 anyway, hoping I'd just get used to it - I wasn't considering Dremeling the grooves off, I wanted my GLOCK to be perfect in stock form and I wanted a Gen 3 for the rail. When I first started shooting my G17 I wasn't exactly putting the rounds where I wanted, this had a lot to do with my grip, either being "off" due to the grooves, or the gun riding around in my hand; my confidence in shooting the weapon was low and I chalked it up to needing practice. If I took my time and precision shot, I could shoot the G17 accurately. If my hands started to sweat, then the pistol really felt jumpy in my hands.

When I bought and installed the Houge grip, the difference was night and day! The finger grooves in the Houge grip pretty much "lowered" the feel of the placement of the GLOCK finger grooves! I know that sounds weird since the original grooves are still there, but there are accommodation's inside the Houge grip for the factory grooves-it basically puts new grooves on top of the stock grooves ending up lower than stock. The palm swells filled out the space that acted as a "free movement zone" and now made the pistol sit secure in my hand eliminating the "moving around in my hand" factor, sweaty hands or not due to stickiness of the rubber! I wear a large sized glove so this solution may be better suited to folks with larger hands, but the Houge really helped my shooting, the G17 w/ Houge grip fits like a glove now. My confidence in the pistol is much higher, my first IDPA qualifier I barely missed getting "Marksman" status through no fault of the Houge-equipped gun, almost all of my 90 shots were accurately on paper, I just took my time for safety reasons and I was a newbie to the courses of fire.

If the Houge fits you, the only drawback I see is the sticky rubber might catch/ride up clothing and reveal to the public that you are CCW'ing a handgun. I'd be mindful that your jacket doesn't snag on the grip if you CCW.

10 bucks well spent!

kicker72
10-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Sadly, it didn't fit my hand comfortably like it did when I was picking up my Springer at Irvington Arms. I recall it feeling really good in my hands, the G22 that is. But I can't recall exactly if I tried it when I was purchasing my first 1911 from Martin (Irvington Arms) or when I was buying my wife's six-shooter from Irvington Arms also. Nonetheless, it felt natural in my hand.

I was so set in getting a .40 in my small collection. :mad: I wonder if it was another Glock I tried on instead. Which has smaller grips than the G22, or are they all the same?

What generation frame was the first one you tried? The first and second gen don't have finger groves in the grip.

Greg-Dawg
10-28-2007, 8:06 AM
try a USP or p2000!~

-1 on the USP, but +1 on the Hk P2000. Anyways, most likely you held a Glock compact model. I have a G35 (same frame as the G22) and a G23, both are great in my hands.

Different strokes for different folks. Make sure you shoot it first before you buy it.

high_revs
10-28-2007, 4:37 PM
i already have a usp, and with the hogue grip in it.

i dunno what year it was when i tried it, but i'm pretty sure it's recent since this was just a few months ago when i bought my springer at irvinton. i can't recall if it had finger groves or not, but it was brand new so i figure it did?

maybe i'll go back and try it again, after gripping my usp with hogue, six shooter and springer. maybe that'll help since i know i was gripping another of my pistols before holding the g22 in my hands. :)

maxicon
10-29-2007, 9:02 AM
I had a G17, and I hated the fit. It was accurate from the bench, but I couldn't shoot it for beans. I have big hands, too. It's one of the few guns I've sold.

Different strokes, and all that.

CSDGuy
10-29-2007, 9:23 AM
I like the G22 but the grip just a little big for my hands. Basically it's too long and that puts the finger grooves (gen 3) in just the wrong place. I much prefer the G23 in this regard. Don't get me wrong... I can shoot the G22 just fine. It just feels a little odd because of the finger groove placement. Aftermarket grips would change that.

If I were to purchase a G22, a Hogue grip would quite likely be the only thing I'd do to it. I do, however, like the trigger reset you get when a 3.5# connector is paired with a NY-1 spring... Trigger pull is a little heavier than stock, but the reset is very nice (for a GLOCK).

ibanezfoo
10-29-2007, 1:15 PM
Almost? ALMOST? I can't think of any reason not to buy a new firearm. Even if it doesn't fit you right you can let your friends shoot it at the range.

:)

-Bryan

Dilinger23
10-29-2007, 1:57 PM
man if your going to spend some money on toys... id say you beter be happy with it and it should be some thing your comfortable with.. after all this toys can hurt you..or even kill..

high_revs
10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
hell, i may still buy it to have a glock and a .40 caliber. i have really good friends who help me on the race track (moto road racing), so yeah, it's kewl to have for them. but they'll have to pay for ammo and clean it. LOL

still thinking... but leaning more to coming back and buying it this weekend.

i like almost... keeps my credit card bills low. window shopping is always easy and free. :jump:

Corbin Dallas
10-30-2007, 11:18 AM
High Revs - Check out a Steyr M40-A1, I think you'll like the grip.