PDA

View Full Version : Bill Clinton to Democrats: Donít trivialize gun culture

Excelsior
03-28-2013, 3:46 PM
"Bill Clinton to Democrats: Donít trivialize gun culture":

"Former President Bill Clinton warned a group of top Democratic donors at a private Saturday meeting not to underestimate the passions that gun control stirs among many Americans.

'Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,Ē Clinton said.'"

Link to story (http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/bill-clinton-to-democrats-dont-trivialize-gun-culture-86443.html)

I cannot help but wonder if gun control is going to be Obama's Waterloo? Billy Clinton was 10x the politician that Obama will ever be and his comments intrigue me. Not too long ago, Obama didn't want much to do with gun control. Then he got dragged in. He's now all-in and the stakes are huge.

Huge not just for guns but for the balance of his presidency in my opinion.

vonderplatz
03-28-2013, 3:49 PM
They already have.

rootuser
03-28-2013, 3:52 PM
"Bill Clinton to Democrats: Donít trivialize gun culture":

"Former President Bill Clinton warned a group of top Democratic donors at a private Saturday meeting not to underestimate the passions that gun control stirs among many Americans.

'Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,Ē Clinton said.'"

Link to story (http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/bill-clinton-to-democrats-dont-trivialize-gun-culture-86443.html)

I cannot help but wonder if gun control is going to be Obama's Waterloo? Billy Clinton was 10x the politician that Obama will ever be and his comments intrigue me. Not too long ago, Obama didn't want much to do with gun control. Then he got dragged in. He's now all-in and the stakes are huge.

Huge not just for guns but for the balance of his presidency in my opinion.

Waterloo for what? He's out in 3 1/2 years. Not sure what you mean here.

penguin0123
03-28-2013, 3:54 PM
Bill Clinton isn't called Slick Willy for no reason.

sd_shooter
03-28-2013, 4:08 PM
Obama's going to do as much damage as he can, he's got nothing to lose.

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Obama's going to do as much damage as he can, he's got nothing to lose.

Sure he does. His actions could ensure a GOP president the next time around.

sunaj
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Obama is a very dangerous man,
today a president is the PR man,
an actor, a con man, a trusted face-
Obama has a great deal of influence over the average american, women's groups especially, and minorities,
and he has them mesmerized-

sunaj

03-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Sure he does. His actions could ensure a GOP president the next time around.

with more and more people either working for some form of government agencies or collecting benefits from government, and how electoral college is currently setup, it's going to be an uphill fight for GOP to win back the Whitehouse, unless he really screwed up somehow...

MrTokarev
03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Bill was always smarter than the average democrat.

CDFingers
03-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Clinton really is a first class politician in that he can read his audience like a mom can read a chocolate covered kid's face.

He knows anti gun malarkey will sink the Dems.

He should be listened to here.

CDFingers

donw
03-30-2013, 1:53 PM
good...he clearly understands not to UNDERESTIMATE us firearms owners.

JimWest
03-30-2013, 2:08 PM
I think we should do everything we can to reinforce the veracity of Clinton's admonition. Like sending much stronger messages to doubters in Congress.

loopsb
03-30-2013, 2:19 PM
"Not too long ago, Obama didn't want much to do with gun control. Then he got dragged in. "

OP- Please tell us that you haven't been living under a pile of wool. Oh yeah....all of a sudden:90:

njineermike
03-30-2013, 2:34 PM
This is a 3 month old redundant dupe of a dupe. They didn't listen then, they won't listen now, and I couldn't be happier the statist douchewhiskers feel the need to advertise their positions.

BTW, anybody who thinks this is "sudden" needs to go back to the 3rd grade and learn basic reading comprehension.

BBJohnnyT
03-30-2013, 2:54 PM
Unlike his pinhead friends who are too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions or learn from history, Bill acutely remembers the "Republican Revolution" takeover of 1994. He remembers how much it stung and hindered his remaining years in office.

Libs put out all sorts of explanations and excuses for that 94 Republican takeover. The fact is that it was a direct response to the Federal Assault Weapons Ban, passed and signed into law just two months before the election.

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 3:50 PM
Bill was always smarter than the average democrat.

Smarter than the average Republican too...

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 3:53 PM
This is a 3 month old redundant dupe of a dupe. They didn't listen then, they won't listen now, and I couldn't be happier the statist douchewhiskers feel the need to advertise their positions.

BTW, anybody who thinks this is "sudden" needs to go back to the 3rd grade and learn basic reading comprehension.

Please practice some self-control and just skip the thread. I didn't offer it as news as you inferring. I am offering it as a discussion piece now that there has been a passage of time since Clinton's (now seemingly prophetic) words.

BTW, anyone who takes the time to needlessly crap on threads as you did above needs to find a way to otherwise occupy their time.

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 4:00 PM
"Not too long ago, Obama didn't want much to do with gun control. Then he got dragged in. "

OP- Please tell us that you haven't been living under a pile of wool. Oh yeah....all of a sudden.

Have you actually considered has has happened in the last ~100 days? Prior to the Sandy Hook Massacre, Obama had done very little with regard to gun control while president despite mounting pressure from his constituency.

Even post Sandy Hook he really didn't jump in with both feet. He fed the project to Biden and kept as much distance as the politics would allow.

That's changing now that Bloomberg and not Obama or Biden is emerging as the one leading the charge. Obama supporters are also redoubling their pressure on him as time continues to pass and things look dimmer and dimmer in the senate.

So the question begs, where have YOU been living?

loopsb
03-30-2013, 4:12 PM
Firmly in reality....knowing with certainty that this was coming from Obama. It was always a matter of timing and opportunity

mcmikeblues7
03-30-2013, 4:16 PM
Do not think that gun control has not always been a top priority for Obama. He just had to wait until he was re-elected or public opinion changed, or both.

jamesob
03-30-2013, 4:17 PM
The only reason he knows this is because he found out the hard way.

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 4:18 PM
Firmly in reality....knowing with certainty that this was coming from Obama. It was always a matter of timing and opportunity

"Reality?" Naw. Obama kept his distance as long as he could. The fallout from guns could gravely impact his true pet projects. If he had his choice or if he was a better politician, guns wouldn't be on the table at all right now.

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 4:18 PM

So?

Excelsior
03-30-2013, 4:19 PM
Do not think that gun control has not always been a top priority for Obama. He just had to wait until he was re-elected or public opinion changed, or both.

Until he was pressured to act...

Tempus
03-30-2013, 6:24 PM
So how many gun oriented Execute Orders has he signed? Did he remove carry on all federal lands? Any EOs to change how BATFE runs? Maybe adding more FFL inspections? No? Nothing?

njineermike
03-30-2013, 6:49 PM
Please practice some self-control and just skip the thread. I didn't offer it as news as you inferring. I am offering it as a discussion piece now that there has been a passage of time since Clinton's (now seemingly prophetic) words.

BTW, anyone who takes the time to needlessly crap on threads as you did above needs to find a way to otherwise occupy their time.

Unwad your thong Sally. Just because the concept of a calendar is beyond the scope of your limited comprehension, it isn't my fault. And, for the record, I pointed out the passage of time since the original in context to the current situation. Try reading in the future so you don't look quite as stupid next time.

advocatusdiaboli
03-30-2013, 6:55 PM
Does it really matter what Obama deep down in his private thoughts thinks about gun rights when he's hell-bent on destroying them? "I was only following my party's orders" didn't work at Nuremberg and it's doesn't work on gun rights either.

stonefly-2
03-30-2013, 7:03 PM
So how many gun oriented Execute Orders has he signed? Did he remove carry on all federal lands? Any EOs to change how BATFE runs? Maybe adding more FFL inspections? No? Nothing?

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/03/state-grants-secret-service-vast-new-powers/

AleksandreCz
03-30-2013, 7:06 PM
Have you actually considered has has happened in the last ~100 days? Prior to the Sandy Hook Massacre, Obama had done very little with regard to gun control while president despite mounting pressure from his constituency.

Even post Sandy Hook he really didn't jump in with both feet. He fed the project to Biden and kept as much distance as the politics would allow.

That's changing now that Bloomberg and not Obama or Biden is emerging as the one leading the charge. Obama supporters are also redoubling their pressure on him as time continues to pass and things look dimmer and dimmer in the senate.

He said during the debates he would try to pass the new AWB during his second term.

njineermike
03-30-2013, 8:24 PM
He said during the debates he would try to pass the new AWB during his second term.

Don't forget his voting record as an Illinois state rep, and then again as a Senator. People forget (conveniently) that he introduced anti-gun legislation that was so inane even the legislature in Illinois bounced it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/1996-records-obama-supported-banning-all-guns-illinois

But the public record isn't important to apologists.

Tincon
03-30-2013, 8:32 PM

Exactly.

Tempus
03-30-2013, 9:03 PM
http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/03/state-grants-secret-service-vast-new-powers/

Ah, so a legislative bill in Colorado is an example of Obama's broad use of EOs to erode gun rights. Got it.

LuvLRBs
03-30-2013, 9:05 PM
I actually think the comment refers more to Obama's ivory tower arrogance. Clinton was able to debate others without putting them down or acting superior. Brilliant politician, got to meet him once. You could disagree with all his policies, but that man was charming. Even today, he makes fun of policies or ideas but he doesn't attack people or groups of people in a personal mean spirited manner like Obama does. ("clinging to guns and religion")

gwgn02
03-30-2013, 9:05 PM
Clinton..aka the first black Prez doesn't want his legacy taking second spot to Obama...so he will undermine him any chance, but also...Clinton is much smarter and knows the power of the gun culture/lobby

Doheny
03-30-2013, 10:23 PM

What he said...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=10264009

:dupe:

stonefly-2
03-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Ah, so a legislative bill in Colorado is an example of Obama's broad use of EOs to erode gun rights. Got it.

who says sarcasm doesn't translate on the internet. :D not an example that was challenged for i agree but then he doe's have a track record of trying to make his policies seem like someone elses idea. like sequestration.

coryhenry
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Whether you agree with Clinton or not he is an excellent politician and able to get people to follow him. Very dangerous with the wrong message.

Excelsior
03-31-2013, 12:42 AM

Do you happen to have a URL to a video for that? Thanks.

njineermike
03-31-2013, 9:30 AM
Do you happen to have a URL to a video for that? Thanks.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/obama-calls-for-renewal-of-assault-weapons-ban/

http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=general&catid=57534331&feed_id=999&videofeed=999

http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=b29cMrOlrvE

Try using google like the rest of the known universe.

SanPedroShooter
03-31-2013, 9:46 AM
Clinton/Reno gave us 'Gun rights' as a cultural term.

Obama/Holder will put control of commonly owned guns out the federal sphere forever.

Nothing gets the ball rolling like having a clear and identifiable enemy.

ja308
03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
I actually think the comment refers more to Obama's ivory tower arrogance. Clinton was able to debate others without putting them down or acting superior. Brilliant politician, got to meet him once. You could disagree with all his policies, but that man was charming. Even today, he makes fun of policies or ideas but he doesn't attack people or groups of people in a personal mean spirited manner like Obama does. ("clinging to guns and religion")

Juanita Broaderick would vehemently disagree with the charming part. Recently Larry Elder played a tape of her detailing how Clinton raped her .

Watching Clinton reminded me daily of Chauncey Gardener .
He was the character in cult movie favorite "Being There " starring Peter Sellers
Barack gets the same favorable media treatment ,obviously!

I recall Clinton differently ,but do not have an example right now.

As for his warnings about the gun culture ,time will tell.
We have an uphill battle for sure.

retiredAFcop
03-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Obama has always made it clear to those who were paying attention that he would not undertake major gun control efforts until after the 2012 election. Now he has more freedom to act, and even without a Sandy Hook, he would be capitalizing on some gun tragedy to advance the anti-gun, anti-freeedom, anti-constitution, anti-American, statist agenda that he has always had.

03-31-2013, 10:29 AM
and we're going to help pay for Obama anti-human rights campaigns... ;-(