View Full Version : Where can I buy hunting boots?

10-27-2007, 5:44 PM
I need a new pair of hunting boots, but there really isn't many places to go to in the Bay Area? I know there are plenty of places on-line, but I'd really like to try them on first as I'm rather picky when it comes to shoe/boot comfort in hunting boots.

I've looked at the Big 5 specials, tried a couple at Sports Authority (Concord) and that's it?!?!?! I know there is a Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin, but that's an 1.5 hour drive (longer if there is traffic). I'm hoping you guys can suggest a Bay Area store... Otherwise, I'll be driving out to Rocklin or take a chance ordering from Cabelas or something...

Any help would be appreciated. I'd even go for waterproof "hiking" boots....

10-27-2007, 6:14 PM
Look for a Redwings store, Boot Barn, or similar stores. I generally use my Army issue desert boots for hunting, comfortable and durable, but I have been looking for a new pair myself.

10-27-2007, 7:41 PM
Petaluma there is a place called workforce boots. The address is 901 Lakeville Street. From Concord its about 45min. If you want more directions IM me and I will give them to you.

10-27-2007, 9:38 PM
Unless you're going camouflage.. good hunting boots = good hiking boots. Check out REI if you have one near you.

10-28-2007, 8:10 AM
I have found some good deals on the bass pro shops online clearance rack. Last year I got some nice redhead camo boots for around $35

10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
After YEARS of wearing pretty much boots 93% of the time.....I can say with some certainty that they are NOT all made alike NOR do you get what you pay for all the time.....

My buddy has been swearing by redwings.....but he goes through a pair about every 2 years and does NOT wear his all the time.....

Personally I like the surplus/GI lightwear ones (Nylon upper) a little more than the complete leather GI. Second up is a Walmart special- have had it for years-- The Brama, found in sueded/light leather color for $30...simply cant be beat! waterproof and rugged...and when they wear out no need to fret over $30. Last I like the Hi-tech magnums- VERY comfortable-- but not reeally a 'load bearing' boot and not really super durable in comparison to the others.........

But as said-- I've gone the gamut of boots: if I had a buck back for every pair I've tried right now I could afford a new complete OLL.....

10-28-2007, 7:37 PM
If you go online, take a look at Sierra Trading Post. They have a REALLY liberal return policy (100% satisfaction guarantee) and huge discounts on boots. They send a UPS return label with each order. If you pick the wrong size, they charge ~$5 for using the return label, but no shipping cost for the new item.

They do have brick and mortar stores out there, too.

10-29-2007, 5:51 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll take a look at those Walmart boots, can't beat $30.

I got the chance on Sunday to make the drive to Sportsmans Warehouse, on the way out, found there is a Badger John's Hunting Supplies in Sac, but didn't get a chance to stop in....

I tried 6 pairs of boots yesterday and found some 9" Lacrosse boots to best fit my feet and its intended purpose. It was nice to have a decent selection. I did the internet thing last year where I ordered, tried, used and returned... If was nice store policy, but it took way too much time.

Now its time to break in these boots before Fall Turkey Season opens....

10-29-2007, 8:43 AM
For online shoe and boot shopping, it's hard to beat Zappos - www.zappos.com. Those of you with shoe-loving women in your lives probably know about them, but they have tactical, sports, and hiking boots as well.

They ship them to you and cover return shipping if you don't want them, and you have up to a year (!) to return unworn shoes/boots. You can order several sizes or widths to try on and return any you don't like.

My wife will often order several pairs at once - sometimes the same thing in different sizes, sometimes different ones she's trying to decide about - and return the ones she doesn't want. Never a problem - she loves the place.