PDA

View Full Version : Long Beach trying 2 pass ammunition registration law

justinLB
10-27-2007, 4:31 PM
The City of Long Beach is in the preliminary stages of crafting an ordinance requiring ammunition sales to be logged by all Federal Firearm Licensees (FFL’s) and electronically sent to law enforcement. Under this possible ordinance, it is likely that purchasers will be forced to present identification and submit to fingerprinting simply to purchase a box of ammunition to hunt or go to the range. It has been transferred to the Public Safety Advisory Committee and the Public Safety Committee. Thus far the Public Safety Advisory Commission has withheld judgment on the issue at two consecutive meetings and the Public Safety Committee is waiting for input and recommendation from the Public Safety Advisory Committee.

The Federal law requiring ammunition purchasers to present I.D. was repealed by the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 because it was found to be ineffective in reducing crime.

Please contact Mayor Bob Foster and the Long Beach City Council today and respectfully urge them to oppose this unwarranted and unnecessary privacy invading, anti-gun measure.

Mayor Bob Foster
Tel: (562) 570-6801
Fax: (562) 570-6538
mayor@longbeach.gov

5150-417
10-27-2007, 4:44 PM
If it's just long beach i don't mind there's always gun crimes near my house, and i'm sure this will go in effect. I would be willing to give this up and have fireworks stands made legal. The only place i know of to buy ammo in lb is turners and i told them i would never go to there store again due to bad customer service, can't go wrong with ammobros.

M. Sage
10-27-2007, 5:00 PM
Don't ignore the fact that the more cities enact stupid laws like these, the more will look into doing the same. If we don't fight these, we'll wake up one day and see this in every city in CA.

Also note that the cities and counties in CA that have enacted these laws wind up on "no sales in...." lists for online sales. These laws are written in a way that make online distributors leery of selling into places that have them. "...am I supposed to log these and get a fingerprint, or....??"

RRangel
10-27-2007, 5:10 PM
If it's just long beach i don't mind there's always gun crimes near my house, and i'm sure this will go in effect. I would be willing to give this up and have fireworks stands made legal. The only place i know of to buy ammo in lb is turners and i told them i would never go to there store again due to bad customer service, can't go wrong with ammobros.

What makes you think a senseless law like this will have any effect on gun crime by your home? Is there some kind of magic wand they wave over there in Long Beach with the passage of gun control? Laws like this are typically ineffective and only target the law abiding.

Criminals are called that because they do not follow the law so it will only pressure the law abiding to stay away from buying ammo. This sets a very bad precedence. I'd rather have my local mayor support self defense and keep off of the law abiding gun owners backs rather than forcing victim disarmament upon citizens.

You really have to think over your support for such a law.

jjperl
10-27-2007, 5:20 PM
What a stupid malevolent law and potential waste of money and man power. Honestly, they know this isn't going to do a damn thing to stop crime; what they do know, however, is that it will reduce gun purchases and ammunition sales, which is exactly what they want in the grand scheme of things. Less guns and ammo= less people interested in guns, and thus the 2nd amendment.

CavTrooper
10-27-2007, 5:32 PM

I agree 10,000%! Ammo registration is great idea! Along with firearms registration, microstamping, biometric IDs, redlight cameras, microchipping children, gps tracking in vehicles, need I go on?
Go ahead and let them chip away, pretty soon youll have nothing left.

LAK Supply
10-27-2007, 5:45 PM
Hmmm.... after reading several of 5150's posts I have started to wonder........ Could it be?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/laksupply/troll.jpg

oaklander
10-27-2007, 5:49 PM
You likely won't be able to get ammo online if you live in Long Beach, if this passes.

CavTrooper
10-27-2007, 5:53 PM
Hmmm.... after reading several of 5150's posts I have started to wonder........ Could it be?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/laksupply/troll.jpg

Nah, hes the future of LE...

police radio code

5150(insane person)

417(man with gun)

i'm in the law enforcement field, not a peace officer yet though.

Makes ya feel good doesnt it. :rolleyes:

LAK Supply
10-27-2007, 6:12 PM

That's comforting.

DedEye
10-27-2007, 9:28 PM
What makes you think a senseless law like this will have any effect on gun crime by your home? Is there some kind of magic wand they wave over there in Long Beach with the passage of gun control? Laws like this are typically ineffective and only target the law abiding.

Criminals are called that because they do not follow the law so it will only pressure the law abiding to stay away from buying ammo. This sets a very bad precedence. I'd rather have my local mayor support self defense and keep off of the law abiding gun owners backs rather than forcing victim disarmament upon citizens.

You really have to think over your support for such a law.

:iagree:

At first I honestly thought he was being ironic.

Librarian
10-28-2007, 1:36 AM

Originally Posted by 5150-417
police radio code

5150(insane person)

417(man with gun)

i'm in the law enforcement field, not a peace officer yet though.

Especially the interpretation of 5150:CALIFORNIA CODES
WELFARE AND INSTITUTIONS CODE
SECTION 5150-5157

5150. When any person, as a result of mental disorder, is a danger
to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace
officer, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of
an evaluation facility designated by the county, designated members
of a mobile crisis team provided by Section 5651.7, or other
professional person designated by the county may, upon probable
cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody and place
him or her in a facility designated by the county and approved by the
State Department of Mental Health as a facility for 72-hour
treatment and evaluation.

Danger to himself or others I'm prepared to believe, but the ruling of 'insane' should not come until after the evaluation required.