PDA

View Full Version : Boycott products?

Mize
10-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Do you boycott certain products because of political beliefs? If so, what products and why?

moulton
10-27-2007, 12:10 PM
ben and jerry's ice cream
http://benjerry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/benjerry.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=xlo4sfPi&p_lva=&p_faqid=143&p_created=959469536&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1ndW4mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfY2F 0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Gun Control
Question
Do you support gun control?
Answer
Thank you for your inquiry. We have been involved with several campaigns jointly with the Children's Defense Fund and Educators for Social Responsibility to raise public awareness about the effects of gun violence on children and to encourage nonviolent conflict resolution in schools. We support the Brady bill which requires background checks in an effort to prevent persons with criminal records from owning guns.

DedEye
10-27-2007, 12:20 PM
ben and jerry's ice cream
http://benjerry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/benjerry.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=xlo4sfPi&p_lva=&p_faqid=143&p_created=959469536&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmc F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1ndW4mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT0zJnBfY2F 0X2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Couldn't do it, I couldn't stop eating Ben & Jerry's.

aileron
10-27-2007, 2:20 PM
Maybe we need a list of anti gun corporations. So we can choose not to buy from them.

So far,

Ben & Jerry's
Office Depot
Levi Strauss

Nice to have reasons why too.

Josh3239
10-27-2007, 2:25 PM
Here are 2 links that I found. (It really pains me to see my fellow Jews are so anti-gun after everything we have been through. I guess genocide, slavery, discrimination, etc haven't gotten through to them yet.)

http://www.gunowners.org/fs0302.htm
http://www.pinkpistols.org/antigun.html

Ladder51
10-27-2007, 2:28 PM
add "Newmans own" to the list

CavTrooper
10-27-2007, 6:10 PM
The State of California.

Do not support the buisnesses that support the state.

ETD1010
10-27-2007, 6:36 PM
I think boycotting a company based on the report of their marketing team is stupid. I double the entire company feels that way, employees and high ranking officials alike... The problems are the anti-gun groups, not stores with anti-gun idiots in them...

RudyN
10-27-2007, 8:05 PM
One thing I do boycott is San Francisco. I have decided not to go there and spend any money. If I have to go through there to get to Northern California I will make sure I do not have to either stop for gas or food in Frisco.

aca72
10-27-2007, 8:18 PM
The State of California.

+1

...Mislead and mismanaged by the Governor and his cronies.

Mrs Mink
10-28-2007, 9:14 AM
Do you boycott certain products because of political beliefs? If so, what products and why?

1. Hollywood Video. They hired my stepson to manage a store in Salt Lake City. Stepson arrived & they realized he is Black. (He didn't sound Black, according to frenzied call from SLC to store he worked in central CA.) Tried to get around hiring, told him he'd have to re-interview for the job. He told them to stuff it.

2. Hershey, home of "the great American chocolate bar" for moving 675 jobs from Oakdale, CA to Monterrey, Mexico. Take your chocolate and... :p

LECTRIKHED
10-28-2007, 9:46 AM
2. Hershey, home of "the great American chocolate bar" for moving 675 jobs from Oakdale, CA to Monterrey, Mexico. Take your chocolate and... :p

Hershey has a long history of helping the United States. They have helped out in several wars, and were big employers during the depression.

Sometimes companies make hard decisions, but Hershey has a long American tradition.

LAK Supply
10-28-2007, 10:07 AM
That is what happens when treasonous politicians tax and regulate business to death and then throw the door to Mexico wide open and create a duty-free agreement.

Hershey has to survive and their competitors are already taking advantage of the "cheap labor and lack of regulation" zone the US politicians sold themselves to Mexico to create.

I blame the politicians on that one. Hershey is a good company.

1. Hollywood Videa. They hired my stepson to manage a store in Salt Lake City. Stepson arrived & they realized he is Black. (He didn't sound Black, according to frenzied call from SLC to store he worked in central CA.) Tried to get around hiring, told him he'd have to re-interview for the job. He told them to stuff it.

Mrs Mink
10-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Hershey has a long history of helping the United States. They have helped out in several wars, and were big employers during the depression.

Sometimes companies make hard decisions, but Hershey has a long American tradition.

Maybe I should have explained the situation a bit more... Plant closure not only affects the plant employees, but local vendors, almond growers and dairy farmers. I know dairymen with milk that has no where to go. Creameries in this area are running at full capacity & no new contracts are needed. Almond growers had contracts to provide nuts to Hershey, so they had a home for their crop. Now, they're scrambling and many will lose millions.

This move is based on pure greed because believe me, Hershey has made a better-than-decent profit over the years. Even family members of the man who created the Reese Peanut Butter Cup swear they'll never eat Hershey candy again.

Candy from Mexico is regularly recalled for being tainted. They have practically no air & water quality standards & if you've been there, you know you can cut the air in the Monterrey area with a knife. You can't drink the water. Yet, you can make Hershey candy with it. I wonder how long it'll be until Hershey is added to the list of tainted candy. :shrug:

LAK Supply
10-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure about the others on the board, but I'm very familiar with the economic situation in Oakdale. Hershey has long been the staple of the town in terms of employment, service contractors, transportation, dairy, etc. I personally know several people who have been let go in the first couple of layoff waves and there are a few others who will go after the final closure is complete.

Hershey has made a healthy profit for quite a long time; now their competition is running with a much lower overhead and taking larger profits with an increased competitive edge. If their competition wanted to lower their prices and put Hershey in a bind for market share they would have the power to do that to a certain extent.

Hershey is no longer a small family business; they are responsible to their shareholders and they must be as profitable as possible... That is their duty to people who have invested, and if this move increases profitability for their shareholders their choice is clear... at least for them. As unfortunate as it is, the dairyman in Newman who depends on Hershey for a health milk contract does not make the impact a shareholder does.

On a personal level, I think it is a horrible decision. Ultimately I blame the politicians who created the conditions for the situation to exist to begin with. They have completely put the shaft to the US in favor of Mexico. There are a lot of companies that are going to Mexico; they don't have the environmental regulation, safety regulation, hourly restrictions, age restrictions, minimum wage, union power, tax issues, etc. By creating a "free trade" zone for US businesses in Mexico and not deregulating businesses here at home the politicians have created a situation where we are losing a lot of business to a third-world country.

If I were in charge I would have started an advertising campaign that named the competitors who were relocating to Mexico and the negatives associated with their moves. I would have touted the fact that Hershey will proudly remain an American company regardless of what the competition is doing and I would have included the names of the politicians who were responsible for the situation.

That's just me..... I don't own the place so I don't have a say. However, I understand why they're doing what they are. I still ultimately blame the politicians.

Maybe I should have explained the situation a bit more... Plant closure not only affects the plant employees, but local vendors, almond growers and dairy farmers. I know dairymen with milk that has no where to go. Creameries in this area are running at full capacity & no new contracts are needed. Almond growers had contracts to provide nuts to Hershey, so they had a home for their crop. Now, they're scrambling and many will lose millions.

This move is based on pure greed because believe me, Hershey has made a better-than-decent profit over the years. Even family members of the man who created the Reese Peanut Butter Cup swear they'll never eat Hershey candy again.

Candy from Mexico is regularly recalled for being tainted. They have practically no air & water quality standards & if you've been there, you know you can cut the air in the Monterrey area with a knife. You can't drink the water. Yet, you can make Hershey candy with it. I wonder how long it'll be until Hershey is added to the list of tainted candy. :shrug:

LAK Supply
10-28-2007, 11:42 AM
BTW... I don't buy Ben and Jerry's, Newman's BS, or use AT&T any longer.

Suvorov
10-28-2007, 11:59 AM
One thing I do boycott is San Francisco. I have decided not to go there and spend any money. If I have to go through there to get to Northern California I will make sure I do not have to either stop for gas or food in Frisco.

I'm in the same boat. Ever since the attempt to ban handguns, the Blue Angels, not allowing the Marine's to make recruiting videos in the city, and now their save haven for druggies, I have decided not to spend one cent that I do not have to in the city of San Francisco. This year, the Christmas shopping will be done in Palo Alto and not Union Square.

justinLB
10-28-2007, 12:05 PM
76/conco-phillips gas
IDABELL, Okla. - The National Rifle Association is urging its 4 million members to boycott ConocoPhillips gas stations and products because the oil giant is trying to block an Oklahoma law that allows employees to keep guns in their cars when parked in company lots.

Conoco is among several companies challenging the state law in federal court, but the NRA singled it out for the boycott.

“Across the country, we’re going to make ConocoPhillips the example of what happens when a corporation takes away your Second Amendment rights,” NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre said.
The law was passed after Weyerhaeuser Corp. fired 12 employees in 2002 at a plant near Idabell for violating a policy forbidding firearms on company property.

“If you are a corporation that is anti-gun, anti-gun owner or anti-Second Amendment, we will spare no effort or expense to work against you to protect the rights of your law-abiding employees,” LaPierre added in a news release Monday.

The NRA routinely cites the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment as prohibiting restrictions on gun ownership and possession by “law-abiding” citizens.

Richard
10-28-2007, 1:54 PM
Boycotts don't work as a general rule.....If people like a product(or product supplier),they'll always buy it. Case in point Walmart ,B&G,Levi's,Home Depot....and so on. Effects of Boycotts, like Farting in the Wind.

BillCA
10-28-2007, 2:55 PM
Let's see...

The basic principle is to avoid spending money or being a client of companies who support anti-2A causes. Do that as much as you can and convince others to do so as well.

I do not buy or eat Ben & Jerry's products, but I won't get upset if my sister-in-law buys a pint of Chunky Monkey for her birthday. If someone gives me a pair of Levi Dockers for Christmas, I'm not going to refuse to wear them or exchange them for a pair of Haggar or Wranglers. The money has already been spent and the sale tabulated.

More importantly, I refuse to go to movies with certain actors in lead roles due to their stance on the 2nd. Nor will I buy or rent their movies on DVD while they are alive. There's no way I'll see a movie featuring the likes of Jane Fonda, Rosie O'Donnell, Whoppi Goldberg, Alec or William Baldwin, Drew Barrymore, Kevin Bacon, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Sylvester Stallone, Danny Glover, Kevin Costner and a number of others.

I think it's more effective if you write letters not only to the companies, but specifically copy the company president, CEO, CFO and Chairman of their board of directors. Make it plain that you avoid their brand whenever possible, will avoid making any major purchases from them and you even think twice about buying a trivial item from them.

JALLEN
10-28-2007, 3:54 PM
I don't believe in feeding the hand that is biting me.

I have dropped eBay, never used PayPal, will not go to San Francisco or patronize companies there, don't eat Ben and Jerry's, or anyone else's ice cream for that matter. I won't watch CNN or MSNBC either, or listen to NPR. I never watch the networks other than sports programming. I don't really consider these boycotts; I just don't like the products in most cases, or had a bad experience, etc. CBS is in a league of it's own, of course.

I prefer to patronize companies that support the troops, not just by lip service, but with action, breaks for service folks, etc.

Bizcuits
10-28-2007, 3:58 PM
The State of California.

Actually funny you say this, because when I buy Milk, I always get the non-california printed label lol

LAK Supply
10-28-2007, 5:19 PM
Boycotts don't work as a general rule.....If people like a product(or product supplier),they'll always buy it. Case in point Walmart ,B&G,Levi's,Home Depot....and so on. Effects of Boycotts, like Farting in the Wind.

Doesn't have to work for me.... I'm not boycotting anybody. I just choose to give my money to people who aren't trying to grab my guns if I can help it.

Solidmch
10-28-2007, 7:02 PM

Thats true, but I still wont eat Ben & Jerrys for their Liberal Turd Anti American Stance.

10-28-2007, 8:16 PM
Thats true, but I still wont eat Ben & Jerrys for their Liberal Turd Anti American Stance.
Cant' stand the fact that they give so much money to anti gun causes. I used Ebay, but not anymore. They can kiss my *****.

Dont Tread on Me
10-28-2007, 9:09 PM
I won't pay to watch an Arnold or Sylvester movie. I tend to avoid any company that contributes to the Democrats but I do own a leatherman and an Apple computer.

aplinker
10-28-2007, 9:43 PM
Arnold did movies? When? Who is Sylvester? ;)

Seriously, those two have been out of "action" for a long, long time.

Boycotts don't work.

I won't pay to watch an Arnold or Sylvester movie. I tend to avoid any company that contributes to the Democrats but I do own a leatherman and an Apple computer.

Glock22Fan
10-29-2007, 7:48 AM
Conoco/76, Paypal, EBay and Sara Lee.

I try to avoid Weyerhauser as well, but they have somewhat a monopoly.

I spend as little as possible at the Golden Arches, but that's for reasons other than guns.

A boycott like this may not change their minds, but at least I know that they aren't doing us much harm with MY money.

ItsPhipps
10-29-2007, 9:43 AM
Bizcuits, it may be somewhat counterproductive to buy out of state milk. I know lots of dairymen and all are very pro gun and conservative, and the best part is that many get away with paying ZERO taxes. At least the ones that sell to Hilmar Cheese Co. Cali doesn't get their cut on this one. Now as far as the milk companies (Foster Farms, Bayview, Sunnyside, Etc) I'm not so sure on their stance.

chuck762
10-29-2007, 12:50 PM
I won't buy products from companies like Sportsman’s guide or cheaper than dirt because they refuse to sell specific products to us here in Ca. It is ok for them to ship me a ammo or say a stock for lever action rifle but I can't buy a HK forearm or AR stock. Screw em. I also will not see a movie with certain actors in them.
There are quite a few companies I won't do business with due to their political beliefs or business practices.

scootergmc
10-29-2007, 1:16 PM
I suppose if I looked hard enough, I could waste all my time trying to find something I don't agree with on everyone with which I spend my money, whatever the reason I so choose. Which is why I don't. My time is worth more.

stator
10-29-2007, 4:35 PM
Hershey has a long history of helping the United States. They have helped out in several wars, and were big employers during the depression. Growing sugar and refining it is very low tech. Latin American produces refined sugar far cheaper than our American sugar cane and beet farmers want to sell their crops for. Thus the import tariff.

They moved because of the sugar tariffs of the USA that keeps US sugar prices obscenely high compared to markets elsewhere. We have a very strong sugar cartel called U.S. Sugar that is very effective at lobbying Congress.

I think almost all of the major candy manufacturers have moved their production lines that use sugar but not HFCS to either Canada or Mexico because of this. See's candies being one of them. I guess Jelly Belly must use HFSC in their jelly beans.

Maple syrup is the same as well. Canada maple syrup is much cheaper in the Mexican Costco stores.

stator
10-29-2007, 4:39 PM

They moved because of the sugar tariffs of the USA that keeps US sugar prices obscenely high compared to markets elsewhere. We have a very strong sugar cartel called U.S. Sugar that is very effective at lobbying Congress. Sugar is low tech to grow and refine. So, Latin American refines sugar and sells it for profit far cheaper than our American beet and sugar cane farmers want to sell their crops for. Thus the protective import tariffs to keep out competition and drive up prices.

I think almost all of the major candy manufacturers have moved their production lines that use sugar but not HFCS to either Canada or Mexico because of this. See's candies being one of them. Canada and Mexico do not have the protective tariffs like we do.

So Ms Mink, your boycott of Hershey's is misplaced. The problem that Hershey's has is that there is no protective tariffs for candy manufactures to help them survive the world market with non-competitive sugar prices in the US market. The people you should be boycott for losing those jobs are the beet and sugar cane farmers in USA.

Maple syrup is the same as well. Canadian maple syrup is much cheaper in the Mexican Costco stores.

RANGER295
10-29-2007, 5:11 PM
I am very idealistic and take boycotts to an extreme. I have walked over a mile with a gas can to avoid buy gas from Union 76 when there was one that I could have made it to without running out of gas.

So companies on my list:
Union 76
Miller beer
Ben and Jerry’s
Starbucks
Levis
Office Depot
Pay Pal
Heinz Ketchup
Earthgrains
Hallmark
Disney
Valaro
Outback Steak House
Marriot
Mazda Motor Corp.

It would have to be close to life an death for me to support any of those companies. These are just a few off the top of my head. There are others that I will add as I think of them. If you said the name, I would remember for sure but I boycott so many that it is hard to remember sometimes. Most of those are for 2nd Amendment reasons. A few are because they are pro-choice or contribute to abortion in some way.

Richard
10-29-2007, 6:46 PM
I am very idealistic and take boycotts to an extreme. I have walked over a mile with a gas can to avoid buy gas from Union 76 when there was one that I could have made it to without running out of gas.

So companies on my list:
Union 76
Miller beer
Ben and Jerry’s
Starbucks
Levis
Office Depot
Pay Pal
Heinz Ketchup
Earthgrains
Hallmark
Disney
Valaro
Outback Steak House
Marriot
Mazda Motor Corp.

It would have to be close to life an death for me to support any of those companies. These are just a few off the top of my head. There are others that I will add as I think of them. If you said the name, I would remember for sure but I boycott so many that it is hard to remember sometimes. Most of those are for 2nd Amendment reasons. A few are because they are pro-choice or contribute to abortion in some way.

NO DISNEY??? Your hardcore and obviously don't have kids.;)

RANGER295
10-29-2007, 8:00 PM
NO DISNEY??? Your hardcore and obviously don't have kids.;)

Funny you mention that. You are right, I do not have kids. I am 24 and just graduated from college and am about to get a masters… give me a few years:p. But no, Disney is actually the only one on that list that I have used since I started boycotting it. My parents talked me into going with them and my younger brother this summer to Disney Land. They had a hard time talking me into it and I really did not like the place. And even when I have kids I have no intention of taking them there or allowing them to go. Just like there are various toys that I will not let them have such as Barbie dolls which I feel portray an unhealthy image to young girls. I am getting a little off topic here but you put it right, I am hardcore. I want to instill traditional values in my kids. They will probably be homes cooled like I was through most of elementary and junior high and part of high school. It was great for me. It allowed me to do other stuff that I would not have gotten to do otherwise and it did not hurt me academically. I graduated at the top of my department so… anyway I am getting way off topic, sorry.

LECTRIKHED
10-30-2007, 10:17 AM
No one ever mentioned what Levi Strauss actually did. Last time I checked they promoted a lot of positive causes, and helped fund college pro democracy organizations. I support Levis. Please tell me what they did.

wildcard
10-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I do not shop at Home Depot or drink Miller beer. They support "undocumented immigrants."

chico.cm
10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I seek out companies that are PRO Gun more than boycotting:
My active support extends to the following:

Walmart
Texaco
Castrol
Cabelas
Marathon
Wragler
Carhartt
Justin
Ruger
Remington
Primos
LL Bean
etc.

Look at the SHOT show exhibitor list, or watch your favorite hunting show on Saturday and see who the sponsors are; then support them.