PDA

View Full Version : unregistered firearm

cactusk
03-27-2013, 2:45 PM
Say I acquired a unregistered firearm and this firearm is clean, not stolen or used in a crime etc. Im assuming all i need to do is submit this http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf to register it in my name?

leman77
03-27-2013, 3:06 PM
call DOJ and get the answer from the horse's mouth?

Librarian
03-27-2013, 3:10 PM
Say I acquired a unregistered firearm and this firearm is clean, not stolen or used in a crime etc. Im assuming all i need to do is submit this http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf to register it in my name?

The way you are supposed to acquire firearms is either
* through an FFL, where DROS will take care of associating your name and the firearm (for handguns) or
* a transfer from a properly related family member (among child/parent/grandparent) where the OPLAW form does the honors for handguns (long guns beginning 2014)
* inheritance of a handgun, where the OPLAW form again suffices for handguns
* you purchase using your own Curio and Relic FFL, following the laws that apply to that license, or
* purchase of a 50 year old+ C&R long gun, which requires no paper or
* purchase of a genuine antique, which requires no paper.

If you didn't get the firearm one of those ways, you would need to visit your very own lawyer to seek advice - the VOLREG form does not 'cure' illegal acquisitions.

Virginian
03-27-2013, 4:49 PM
You left off "Go to the garage and make one." :facepalm:

killmime1234
03-27-2013, 4:56 PM
Also, remember that rifles are not registered yet. DOJ will be confused if you sen them a volreg for a rifle.

cactusk
03-27-2013, 5:16 PM
well it was my uncles old revolver, not an antique. He does not live in the country anymore and was left with my grandparents. Im pretty sure it was never registered. Just looking for a legal way to acquire it.

atfish
03-27-2013, 5:24 PM
Let it stay never registered. Sounds like you have already acquired it. jmho

five.five-six
03-27-2013, 5:27 PM
If you didn't get the firearm one of those ways, you would need to visit your very own lawyer to seek advice - the VOLREG form does not 'cure' illegal acquisitions.

Is finding a gun in an abandoned house an "illegal acquisition"? How about if you found 2 :shrug:

cactusk
03-27-2013, 5:38 PM
Let it stay never registered. Sounds like you have already acquired it. jmho
well i would like to take a public outdoor range to go shooting. just don't want to get in trouble if they check it and what not.

Librarian
03-27-2013, 5:52 PM
well it was my uncles old revolver, not an antique. He does not live in the country anymore and was left with my grandparents. Im pretty sure it was never registered. Just looking for a legal way to acquire it.

If Grandparents live in CA, they hand you the gun, you file OPLAW, all done.

If Grandparents do NOT live in CA, must use a CA FFL to do the transfer.

cactusk
03-27-2013, 6:01 PM
If Grandparents live in CA, they hand you the gun, you file OPLAW, all done.

If Grandparents do NOT live in CA, must use a CA FFL to do the transfer.
Sounds good. Reading more about the law, I technically don't have to register the gun as long as I know its not stolen or anything. what's the worst that can happen

rsacks
03-27-2013, 6:06 PM
what's the worst that can happen

Global thermo-nuclear war. Just like in War Games. :43:

Ron-Solo
03-27-2013, 6:18 PM
Sounds good. Reading more about the law, I technically don't have to register the gun as long as I know its not stolen or anything. what's the worst that can happen

That kind of logic can get you in trouble when there is an easy way to do it legally. If your grandparent lives in California, you need to fill out the OpLaw form, including your handgun safety certificate info, along with $19 to DOJ and you will have complied with California law.

What's the worst that can happen? You could lose your gun, get fined, and maybe evn go to jail for an illegal transfer.

Do stupid things, win prizes.

Just Dave
03-27-2013, 6:33 PM

Best not to play :oji:

sakosf
03-27-2013, 6:38 PM
Perhaps you could use the FFL forum on Calguns to find a FFL dealer in your area to help you with this

five.five-six
03-27-2013, 6:48 PM

Drone strike is far more likely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk 2

CrispyCream
03-27-2013, 7:18 PM
If you lived in another state, and owned a handgun, then moved to California before 1996-ish (need to verify the exact year) then it is not required for you to register it. Maybe that was 1998.

Virginian
03-27-2013, 7:25 PM

Wish there was just a "like" button...:)

Librarian
03-27-2013, 8:57 PM

That's inaccurate. You are required by law to document transfers.

Minimum "worst that can happen" is a misdemeanor conviction that puts you in county for a year. A creative prosecutor could find more things to criticize.

TheWhopper
03-27-2013, 9:48 PM
Hmmm...I probably need a new set of glasses.

I can't quite see the word between "a" and "firearm".

sdfire
03-28-2013, 12:16 AM
What if you found a firearm in a storage garage ? And the gun predates registration?

odysseus
03-28-2013, 12:45 AM
That's inaccurate. You are required by law to document transfers.

Librarian -

Just for historical reference, there was a time in the 1990's that intra-family transfer of a handgun or something from grand/parent to child was done without registration, correct? Then at that time the law changed on this, but what/when exactly?

The wiki is weak on that point here:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws

edgerly779
03-28-2013, 1:25 AM
What about frearms acquired 30-40 years ago before doj and dros regs. You could buy from from private parties with no paperwork required? Or firearms given to you as gifts no familial requirements.?

edgerly779
03-28-2013, 1:28 AM
Clarify dates and your statements librarian. Under certain conditions no gun registration.

Khyber
03-28-2013, 1:47 AM
Do stupid things, win prizes.

You win the prize for the L.A County Gray Bar Spa & Resort? :rolleyes:

Librarian
03-28-2013, 2:15 AM
Librarian -

Just for historical reference, there was a time in the 1990's that intra-family transfer of a handgun or something from grand/parent to child was done without registration, correct? Then at that time the law changed on this, but what/when exactly?

The wiki is weak on that point here:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Time_Line_of_California_Firearms_Laws

That particular law change eludes me.

It seems that the intrafamilial part came after the 1991 'use an FFL' law, but I can't pin it down. Not everything is available on line from 1991/1992.

Since at this point it is of historical interest only, I haven't pursued it.

As to qualifying with dates, the OP posted as a transfer yet to be accomplished - the response identifies the procedure today.

Librarian
03-28-2013, 2:16 AM
What about frearms acquired 30-40 years ago before doj and dros regs. You could buy from from private parties with no paperwork required? Or firearms given to you as gifts no familial requirements.?

Yes. Although DROS dates from 1924....

edgerly779
03-28-2013, 2:24 AM
When I had my ffl in 1981 private party sales/ garage sales which are the same of all lawful firearms was ok. As long as nfa federal regs followed. Firearms shipped interstate for sale had to be on form 4473 and go thru ffl. no dros.

odysseus
03-28-2013, 2:27 AM
As to qualifying with dates, the OP posted as a transfer yet to be accomplished - the response identifies the procedure today.

Yes I hear you on that. I was curious just as a matter of form, as I was looking to also answer this as to the what and why aspect, and that whole change just eludes me as far as having a grip on the "ok from this date on" "now you must fill out...".