PDA

View Full Version : Primary Election - How to prepare for 2014

penguin0123
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Taking a page out of our fellow gunnies in MD, lets use the Primary against the anti-2A elected officials. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=102880

As I understand it, CA operates under a "Top Two" system such that the two candidates (regardless of party affiliation) that received the most votes in the primary ends up on the ballot. Traditionally, it would be one Repub vs one Dem, unless the seat is so overwhelmingly Dem that the 2nd place Dem candidate displaces the Repub candidate. And traditionally, primaries have been decided by very few votes.

With the numbers we have on Calguns, we can swing the results to a candidate least offensive to 2A. So I propose we go into the primaries and vote out the anti-gunners. If we achieve our aim in the primary, they won't appear in the Nov general election. If we failed in the primary, we still have a second chance in Nov.

jrr
03-27-2013, 2:30 PM
Im not actually sure how CA primary elections work. As I understand it, you vote for your own parties candidates to decide who is going to be the actual candidate running in the main election. Maybe someone could clarify?

With that said; if you are suggesting that everyone on CalGuns register today as Democrat and vote in primaries specifically to sway the vote away from the most offensive anti-gun democrats currently in office, I'm down with that. We may not get a better crop of legislators, they might even be worse. But it would show that we as a voting bloc have the ability to sway elections in new and unexpected ways. :43:

Need more info on how CA primaries actually work to determine if its possible.

M. D. Van Norman
03-27-2013, 2:33 PM
Voting for the most pro-gun Democrat is about your only option now. :o

zio707
03-27-2013, 2:42 PM
Anythings possible, the key is for everyone to stick together.

jrr
03-27-2013, 3:54 PM
Ok, so CA does now have a top two system. So.. tat puts a wrench in things. The reason it would work in MD is that they have closed primaries. So, you can register D, affect the primary results to get a less offensive D or one who isn't as strong against their R opponent. Then in the general election you can vote R or however you want, because you have eliminated the candidate you didn't like via primary.

The problem with CA's system and this approach is that you would not likely knock out the candidate you don't like. In fact, you would likely just knock out the R candidate opposing them, and end up with a two D ticket in the general election. You would take all your (I'm assuming) R votes, and put them behind a D candidate other than the incumbent.

The incumbent would continue to get the low-info D votes he is counting on who always vote incumbent. The R candidate would get fewer votes, because you have taken a bunch of R votes and made them D. Possibly even to the extent that you now have the incumbent D and a new D, with no R on the ballot come November.

This is a system tailor made to favor the dominant party in an area. Worst case scenario for the D is that two D candidates split the ticket and you end up with one D and one R candidate. And even then, the D still dominates the overall vote in the general election. Best case, the vote is split with two D and two R candidates and because of the larger overall number of D voters you end up with two D candidates on the ballot in Nov.

I LOVE this idea, but I don't see it working here like it might in MD because of our stupid Primary system. There is no way to knock out the incumbent like there is in a closed primary. Not unless you had an especially tight race with two D and an R with equal 1/3rd shares of the vote. In that situation it might be made to work, but since we have an open primary there's no need to go switching parties.

A careful analysis of which districts have close enough three way races to knock the incumbent down to third would need to be done. Then you'd have to convince one of the most staunchly anti-D and stubborn groups of voters in the country to go along with the plan. It could be done, but it'll take a lot of work.

razorduc
03-27-2013, 5:21 PM
What happens if both candidates are anti-2A?

strlen
03-28-2013, 4:16 AM
Keep in mind California does (to the best of my recollection) have an open primary: that means while you can only vote in one party's primary election per election season, it doesn't have to the party that you've registered as.