PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Thompson help

lbdrummer3
10-26-2007, 10:04 PM
I have an old Auto Ordinance (pre Karr) 1927A1 Thompson that I'd like to tune up a little. The bolt is almost impossible to pull all the way back because of the recoil spring tension and the trigger pull is probably 10-15 lbs... I'd like to be able to rack the bolt back with one hand and have a much lighter trigger pull. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
Fred

gazzavc
10-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Sounds like there is a kink in the spring somewhere.

If you are ever up in the Valley I can have a shufti at it for you.

Gary

saki302
10-27-2007, 12:56 AM
The OEM Kahr springs are STIFF as all heck!

The old springs I replaced in my lord-knows-how-old AO West hurley Thumpson were fairly soft. I refreshed them with Kahr springs, and the bolt is incredibly stiff.

I will test fire mine sometime, but I have a feeling it will be stovepiping like crazy.

I plan to try cutting coils to reduce spring tension somewhat. There is no need at all for it to be as stiff as it is.

I also need to re-do my gripless conversion- it has a SHARP corner now which is dying to slice me..

-Dave

lbdrummer3
10-27-2007, 9:59 AM
I changed bolts on it a while back, maybe the holes where the recoil springs go aren't drilled as deep??? I was thinking about cutting the springs down a little if all else fails also.

The OEM Kahr springs are STIFF as all heck!

The old springs I replaced in my lord-knows-how-old AO West hurley Thumpson were fairly soft. I refreshed them with Kahr springs, and the bolt is incredibly stiff.

I will test fire mine sometime, but I have a feeling it will be stovepiping like crazy.

I plan to try cutting coils to reduce spring tension somewhat. There is no need at all for it to be as stiff as it is.

I also need to re-do my gripless conversion- it has a SHARP corner now which is dying to slice me..

-Dave

saki302
10-27-2007, 4:47 PM
the bolt on my rifle is very old and original- I suspect the new bolts may be cut deeper?

A cheap trick to try is lock the bolt back and store it like that for a long while and see if the springs take a set first. It's probably a good idea to do before cutting anyhow.

-Dave