PDA

View Full Version : AR transfer question

subijitsu
10-26-2007, 8:17 PM
I have an opportunity to buy an Colt AR-15 from a guy that bought it back in the early 90s. He bought it from a pawn shop and it is registered to him. It has all the "evil features" of course.

I know I couldn't outright purchase it and transfer it into my name, unfortunately. If the current owner were to fix a 10 rd. magazine to it (via mag lock or some other permanent way) or put a MMG on it, would it be legal to sell it to me? How or who would need to be notified or inspect it to prove it is CA legal? Or is it just doomed to be his forever because it is on "THE LIST"?

Also, even though he bought it a long time ago, is he outside the law by not making his AR CA legal? Can he take it to the range and shoot it without problems?

Sorry for my ignorance but I couldnt find anything by searching that answered my questions. Thanks guys!

RP1911
10-26-2007, 8:33 PM
No transfer unless you are law enforcement and have a letterhead authorizing you to purchase.

If it is registered as an assault weapon, he can take it to to the range as long as the range allows assault weapons to be shot there. Suggest he carry a copy of his assault weapon registration while transporting the rifle to and from the range.

Sorry you are out of luck on this one.

subijitsu
10-26-2007, 8:45 PM
Ugh. Thats what I kinda figured but I thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks. :)

Quiet
10-27-2007, 9:16 AM
I Or is it just doomed to be his forever because it is on "THE LIST"?
Anything listed by name as an assault weapon is "doomed forever".

AJAX22
10-27-2007, 11:58 AM
All the parts but the lower receiver however, can be bought and sold, and you could put all those colt parts (In CA legal configuration) on an off list lower

subijitsu
10-27-2007, 7:20 PM
Unfortunately the thing I am most interested in is the lower. :(

I always wanted a Colt AR for some reason. Probably since I already have an officers 1911 .45 and a Python .357 that I really love. I would have liked to put an A3 upper on it, free float the barrel, and put a little scope on it. Nothing to crazy or "tactical". Just an accurate little varmint gun that could put in some fun time at the range if I felt so inclined.

Its too bad because he needs the money and would probably give it to me pretty cheap.

Oh well. Maybe its time to build one around an OLL. Better start saving my pennies. :)

subijitsu
10-27-2007, 7:22 PM
Anything listed by name as an assault weapon is "doomed forever".

Ok, here is another question. Will his son be able to inherit the AR when the old man passes?

AJAX22
10-27-2007, 7:36 PM
Ok, here is another question. Will his son be able to inherit the AR when the old man passes?

Nope, unless his son lives out of state or has a place he can store it out of state

arguy15
10-27-2007, 7:37 PM

Not unless the son lives outside of California.

subijitsu
10-27-2007, 9:15 PM
Wow! This AR must be a really bad and dangerous gun. :rolleyes:

So when the old man dies, the rifle goes to who? Does it get turned over to the sheriff and destroyed?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have learned a lot from browsing Calguns over the last couple weeks. Excellent info, great people, enlightening discussions, and a friendly environment. Bravo! :)

bwiese
10-27-2007, 9:20 PM
Not only that, you have helped 'out' someone with a (likely) illegal gun if this guy is in CA.

There is no anonymity on the internet and it'd take about 2hrs to find out who you are and then put some pressure on you to rat out the other guy.

subijitsu
10-27-2007, 9:32 PM
Not only that, you have helped 'out' someone with a (likely) illegal gun if this guy is in CA.

There is no anonymity on the internet and it'd take about 2hrs to find out who you are and then put some pressure on you to rat out the other guy.

Ha ha. Cool. Good thing I didnt mention his name is Dave Johnson and his address is 5623 3rd st. Bakersfield CA 93301. Even if I was dumb enough to say that stuff, you could never pressure me. Unless you threatened me with harsh internet bashing, my one weakness. Arrrrrrgh! ;)

He actually owns it legally. He bought it pre ban and it is registered to him.

bwiese
10-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Ha ha. Cool. Good thing I didnt mention his name is Dave Johnson and his address is 5623 3rd st. Bakersfield CA 93301. Even if I was dumb enough to say that stuff, you could never pressure me. Unless you threatened me with harsh internet bashing, my one weakness. Arrrrrrgh! ;)

He actually owns it legally. He bought it pre ban and it is registered to him.

I hope that isn't his real name & address.

Even if reg'd AW he should not be discussing selling it to you!

subijitsu
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I hope that isn't his real name & address.

No its not, lighten up a bit. It is what is called a joke. Give me a little credit, here. ;)

He has fallen on hard times, really needs the money now, and wants some more info on if he could possibly sell it. That is why I came here and asked. I figure I'd ask knowledgeable people on the subject to gain some insight and learn. That is why I am here is to learn. Some people out there dont actually know every detail of every law, ya know.

bwiese
10-27-2007, 10:52 PM
OK, subjujitsu, fair deal.

In the past, we've repeatedly seen some 'unwise' statement from folks digging themselves and/or friends further in the hole.

VegasND
10-28-2007, 5:47 AM
Question:

If he can't sell it in CA, couldn't he just list it somewhere and mail it to the buyers FFL outside CA for a legal sale?

AJAX22
10-28-2007, 6:35 AM
I believe AW's need to be sent via a CA AW dealer, and you need to un-register it when it is transfered.

you can't actually send it in the mail yourself IIRC

subijitsu
10-28-2007, 7:03 AM
OK, subjujitsu, fair deal.

In the past, we've repeatedly seen some 'unwise' statement from folks digging themselves and/or friends further in the hole.

Man that sucks. On the web you gotta have a little common sense about what you say, thats for sure. Like you said the internet isnt anonymous at all.

Thanks for the help. :)

Quiet
10-28-2007, 8:20 AM
So when the old man dies, the rifle goes to who? Does it get turned over to the sheriff and destroyed?

Executor of the estate, surrenders it to LE for destruction or sells it out of state via CA AW dealer.

AJAX22 is correct in that registered assault weapons that are sold out of state must be sent out of CA through a CA AW dealer.

subijitsu
10-28-2007, 9:09 AM
Well, it look like its about time for me to get an OLL and start a build. Bye bye extra money.

CSACANNONEER
10-28-2007, 9:20 AM
As long as it is his and it really is registered as an AW, he could take it out of state and sell it to a FFL. He won't get much for it but, probably more than a Ca FFL with a AW permit would give him. He can not take it out of state and sell it to a private party! He would be in violation of Federal law if he did this.

bwiese
10-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Question:

If he can't sell it in CA, couldn't he just list it somewhere and mail it to the buyers FFL outside CA for a legal sale?

Yes. A CA AW permittee is not needed for that. Drive to Reno, ship it from the UPS office there to a receiving *FFL* for your gunbroker buyer.