PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911 to get under $1100

Yesask211
10-26-2007, 7:08 PM
need some help deciding on which 1911 to get. I've been looking at some S&W, Sig, Kimber. open to some ideas.

looking for something w/ a tactical look, and accurate shooting.

savasyn
10-26-2007, 9:30 PM
Check out the Springfield MC Operator. I think they are $1250ish, so just above your price there, but they look badass and shoot great.

bwiese
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
S&Ws are great.
My next 1911 with be the Commander-sized S&W 1911PD.

DRM6000
10-26-2007, 10:23 PM
get the s&w 1911pd w/tac rail. i have one in the silver finish and i can't complain.

SVTNate
10-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Springfield Mil-Spec, and send it to Springfield Custom Shop for work. I would much rather have that than any production gun out there! You're looking at having roughly $600 to spend on custom work, which will at least get you a Nowlin barrel, match bushing, new sights, beavertail, hammer, sear, safety, slide stop lever (all forged stuff), and maybe a refinish. Or, shoot it stock, save up another $500 or so, and go crazy with it!

gumby
10-27-2007, 8:33 AM
Gumby here,

Did you get my PM's?

neomentat
10-27-2007, 8:38 AM
adde $200 to your budget and get a Springfield TRP in all Stainless. The MC Operator is basically a dehorned loaded model with a rail.

kalibear
10-27-2007, 9:32 AM
Dan Wesson PM7-S and stainless is the new "tactical" ;)

aplinker
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Skip the Sig, for sure.

I like the Dan Wesson, too. It's a fantastic gun at a moderate (read LOW) price.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=65
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/dwesson_101106/

Especially nice for a range gun. I prefer fixed sights, though.

I prefer Colts.

Nuuze
10-27-2007, 10:12 AM
How does the Kimber Stainless TLE/RL II compare to the Springfield MC Operator or Mil-Spec? I hope you don't mind, I'm also window shopping for a 1911 recently. It's all new to me and not sure what to really look for in a 1911.

Bongos
10-27-2007, 11:06 AM
How does the Kimber Stainless TLE/RL II compare to the Springfield MC Operator or Mil-Spec? I hope you don't mind, I'm also window shopping for a 1911 recently. It's all new to me and not sure what to really look for in a 1911.

Nuuze, have you shot a 1911 yet? Should try it before you buy it:43:

Personally, I like buying used guns, most of the ones in the classified sections are safe queens, meaning people buy them new and shot very little..sitting in the safe.. you can save lots of money as $1100 sale for $700-$800 sometimes even $500-$600 .. but really you should rent and shoot them before commiting to buy

Nuuze
10-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Yes, I was at the range last week shooting my XD45 for the second time and a guy let me try his Kimber Custom II and I really liked it. I was always interested in 1911's but was never sure on which was which so never attempted. I just discovered this site last week so I been reading up on a lot of threads. Still trying to get familiar with some of the acronyms. :)

neomentat
10-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Kimber is having quality control problems and their quality is not what it used to be.

Bongos
10-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, I was at the range last week shooting my XD45 for the second time and a guy let me try his Kimber Custom II and I really liked it. I was always interested in 1911's but was never sure on which was which so never attempted. I just discovered this site last week so I been reading up on a lot of threads. Still trying to get familiar with some of the acronyms. :)

FFL = Federal Firearms License, PPT is private Party Transfer, Kimber Series One are preferred as quality was very high and they were just getting into the 1911 scene, once they became respectable, something happen in management and they start cutting corners.. QC went down.. that said, even with the QC going down from what they are used to, it's not bad and is comparable with the current bacis guns out there. It also reflects in the used pricing, Series One Kimbers goes for $900 on up, where as Series II depending on model is in the $600-$900... higher end Series II are better quality by the way:D

Nuuze
10-27-2007, 12:57 PM
FFL = Federal Firearms License, PPT is private Party Transfer, Kimber Series One are preferred as quality was very high and they were just getting into the 1911 scene, once they became respectable, something happen in management and they start cutting corners.. QC went down.. that said, even with the QC going down from what they are used to, it's not bad and is comparable with the current bacis guns out there. It also reflects in the used pricing, Series One Kimbers goes for $900 on up, where as Series II depending on model is in the $600-$900... higher end Series II are better quality by the way:D

So I'm guessing we're bettter off looking towards something like the Springfield Operator or TRP? Whats the Springfield Armory Kote versus the Forged Steel Parkerized? Is that a harder finish?

Pulsar
10-27-2007, 1:07 PM
I'd avoid springfield right now, I've been seeing some lousy work coming from springfield lately, in the past few months I've seen at least 10-15 springfield 1911's (the M1A is going downhill too) come in from lockup problems, and a couple cases where the gun had so much loose breach that it destroyed the locking surfaces with just a couple mags ran through it. Springfield used to build some very nice guns, but I've noticed a sharp decline in quality recently.

S&W's are very nice.

Kimbers are nice, though the sights on em are a PITA the get out, I think they put em in with an arbor press or something.

Can't go wrong with Colt, though they are getting pricey.

Despite what I said about springfield, I sitll think they are your best bet if you want a builder gun, they make a good starting point, they just kind of stink in stock form.

Nuuze
10-27-2007, 1:18 PM
Well, like the poster said in the price range. For me it would be a home defense/range gun. And of course the beauty of a 1911! Something that will last and maybe someday be worth something worth spending on. I'm still unsure of black or stainless myself, but diggin' the accessory rail.

Bongos
10-27-2007, 4:33 PM
Well, like the poster said in the price range. For me it would be a home defense/range gun. And of course the beauty of a 1911! Something that will last and maybe someday be worth something worth spending on. I'm still unsure of black or stainless myself, but diggin' the accessory rail.

if you have to get one with a rail, plan on spending some $$$ for a light :43: X200 goes for $200-$250

midvalleyshooter
10-27-2007, 4:58 PM
Kimber TLE II, which is the Classic Custom II with night sights and checkered front strap. You won't need to remove the sights because they are good. Since Kimber went back to an internal extractor they have been great. Do not buy one of the external extractor era Kimbers, some were fine, some were not.

Here's a TLE evaluation: http://www.borelliconsulting.com/evals/guns/tleii.htm

Company web site: http://www.kimberamerica.com/knowledgebase/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=26&catId=18

If you are going to spend more get a Valtro: http://www.valtrousa.com/aboutvaltro.html

Best regards,
Keith

LECTRIKHED
10-27-2007, 5:17 PM
Armscor Medallion. You can find them for $600

Buckelew
10-27-2007, 5:19 PM
I bought a Springfield Custom Loaded earlier this year. The machining is fantastic - nice tight slide fit - better than the Kimbers I looked at. I'm putting rounds into it to loosen it up.

I'm real happy with it.

Nuuze
10-27-2007, 5:30 PM
Thanks! I'm starting to see the differnces now. :)

Buckelew, if you don't mind was the price comparable to a Kimber?

Exiledviking
10-27-2007, 5:40 PM
I'd avoid springfield right now, I've been seeing some lousy work coming from springfield lately, in the past few months I've seen at least 10-15 springfield 1911's (the M1A is going downhill too) come in from lockup problems, and a couple cases where the gun had so much loose breach that it destroyed the locking surfaces with just a couple mags ran through it. Springfield used to build some very nice guns, but I've noticed a sharp decline in quality recently.

S&W's are very nice.

Kimbers are nice, though the sights on em are a PITA the get out, I think they put em in with an arbor press or something.

Can't go wrong with Colt, though they are getting pricey.

Despite what I said about springfield, I sitll think they are your best bet if you want a builder gun, they make a good starting point, they just kind of stink in stock form.

Kimber is having quality control problems and their quality is not what it used to be.

I agree with both statements. Kimber also suffers from POOR customer service.

neomentat
10-27-2007, 5:41 PM
Sig GSR = quit a bit of problems atm but arguably the nicest looking gun with no MIM parts, external extractor, if you buy one and fine tone it it'll be a good gun. Scary accurate but priced right.

Kimber = lots of problems but less than Sig, all MIM internals which is bad, customer service has gone down hill along with the company philosophy & pricey

Springfield = very nice looking stainless steel with good looking roll mark, very few problems. made in Brazil

S&W = even fewer problem than Springfield, external extractor, but Ugly Ugly roll marks

Colt = current production Colts are actually very tight, however the price is through the roof.

please mind that the above is just my observation from browsing the various manufacture forums from m1911.org

my personal preference in 1911 = Sig & Norinco

Yesask211
10-27-2007, 7:24 PM
I appreciate all the good tips. What have you guys heard about the S&W 1911DK??? It's a awesome looking 1911.

I also like the SW1911PD w/ Tac Rail.

Spent all day jumping around a few Turners to see if there were any good deals on 1911's. Came up empty.

aplinker
10-27-2007, 8:04 PM
I own the Sig. I wouldn't rate it that well. I had work done on it to make it pretty damned good, but it's not really worth it.

Kimber and S&W are ok. Springer -- can't handle a Brazillian 1911. They're ok, though.

I still really like Colt.

With $1100 you're real, real close to the line for a used Les Baer TRS.

I'm not being mean, but what does a tactical-look 1911 look like? I'm not even sure what that means... you want it black with a magwell? The grips to look tactical? Visually, the grips are the most noticeable. The magwell next... Those are easy to add/replace.

Please don't get a rail. I have 2 1911's with rails. I wish MAYBE I had only one. If you really want a rail, buy a Sig or Glock. The 1911 just deserves a non-railed gun, especially if it's your 1st. You'll thank me later.

I'd push you toward a used Colt with money for smithing or a Les Baer. If you picked up a $600 used Colt, $500 would go a LONG ways with a gunsmith, and you'd have one helluva 1911.

Sig GSR = quit a bit of problems atm but arguably the nicest looking gun with no MIM parts, external extractor, if you buy one and fine tone it it'll be a good gun. Scary accurate but priced right.

Kimber = lots of problems but less than Sig, all MIM internals which is bad, customer service has gone down hill along with the company philosophy & pricey

Springfield = very nice looking stainless steel with good looking roll mark, very few problems. made in Brazil

S&W = even fewer problem than Springfield, external extractor, but Ugly Ugly roll marks

Colt = current production Colts are actually very tight, however the price is through the roof.

please mind that the above is just my observation from browsing the various manufacture forums from m1911.org

my personal preference in 1911 = Sig & Norinco

RRangel
10-27-2007, 9:04 PM
Do you need a light rail? If not than save your money and get yourself something like a Springfield Armory loaded model. Shoot the heck out of it. When it's time you can upgrade it and customize it all you want.

Auto-5
10-28-2007, 12:07 AM
I just bought a Colt Combat Commander in blued steel from Buds gun shop online.

I chose Colt after reading all the forums etc because:
-known to be reliable
-loved the traditional look of this model
-a Colt holds it's value
-smiths like to work on Colts
-Colt has built 1911s far longer
-It's a Colt

Cool if not tacticool though they make some tricked out 1911s and the custom shop can build whatever you need.

I expect my new Commander to run right out of the box. I'll let you know.

supersonic
10-28-2007, 11:10 AM
I paid $949.99, and I am convinced I got over...................BIG TIME. Here is an exact image of her:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/dealer/pistol/MSW1911_SW108295%20(A).jpg

Yesask211
10-28-2007, 11:25 AM
She's a beauty, supersonic!

Buckelew
10-28-2007, 8:08 PM
Thanks! I'm starting to see the differnces now. :)

Buckelew, if you don't mind was the price comparable to a Kimber?

Less. Less than $900 OTD.

Buckelew
10-28-2007, 8:12 PM
Do you need a light rail? If not than save your money and get yourself something like a Springfield Armory loaded model. Shoot the heck out of it. When it's time you can upgrade it and customize it all you want.

that was my plan.

I first fired one of these at Markeley's in Watsonville. It was soooooo smooth and nicely broken in that I've thought of trading them for my new one. Damn that piece shot nicely. But I'll be patient.

accordingtoome
10-28-2007, 9:47 PM
Yesask211 i think the sigs are trash too. :D
I vote for a nice Springfield 1911 as you will get the most bang for your buck. Also you can always upgrade whatever you don't like later one.

mike452
10-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Get a lightly used Springfield TRP..

Exiledviking
10-31-2007, 9:50 AM
Here's a good deal on a Kimber with a rail:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=73720

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z95/230grjhp/IMG_0453.jpg

cho034442
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
+1 for the Kimber.
I would not say Sig GSR Revolution is trash, but I would not buy early production (say before October 2007) due to the often reported 3-point jam and broken extractor. I have experienced both and the pistol went back to Sig three times. Sig did take care of the shipping fees, though.

Tzvia
10-31-2007, 5:54 PM
Bought this at the end of last year:
http://home.earthlink.net/~zahava.s/images/stainless2.jpg

Colt XSE. Mighty darn nice for the money. Accurate and it's been reliable right out of the box. Unless they've gone up in price, it should be under a grand. I'd like to get another one in blue, and will before 2010 for sure (along with anything else I think I might want thanks ARNOLD :mad:).

COILSPRING
11-01-2007, 1:43 PM
Springer -- can't handle a Brazillian 1911. They're ok, though.

With $1100 you're real, real close to the line for a used Les Baer TRS.

Please don't get a rail. I have 2 1911's with rails. I wish MAYBE I had only one. If you really want a rail, buy a Sig or Glock. The 1911 just deserves a non-railed gun, especially if it's your 1st. You'll thank me later.

OK, I agree with uclaplinker. If I were you I'd look for any Les Baer used or any other of the simi-custom 1911's out there... You will occasionally see Premier II's or Thunder Ranch Specials for about your target price. I saw a Springfield Professional fired 5,000 rounds go for $1300 a while back on this forum. Deals pop up from time to time and I believe that our economy is getting worse.

Unlike uclaplinker, I have absolutely no problem with Springfields being forged at Imbel in Brazil. Imbel makes great forged FAL receivers.

In regards to railed 1911's, I'll once again agree with uclaplinker, I'm a traditionalist, no thank you. I'm kinda old but I think I'll choose to use my eyes and ears in the available light and make due... Maybe I'm old school but say if for instance I'm at home, I'd rather embrace the darkness being more familiar with the terrain as opposed to advertising my location. I just do not care for the added weight and bulk of a tactical light mounted to a handgun. There are many more choices available in regards to leather for a non-railed 1911... All you Rambos can take me to task.
Coilspring