PDA

View Full Version : Bringing an SKS back from AZ

sammy
10-26-2007, 5:33 PM
My brother got me a Yugo SKS for my birthday a while back but I am finally getting a chance to visit and pick it up. It has the dreadded rocket launcher and from what I have read it can be a bear to remove. He does not have a bench vise which is needed to remove the evil part so I need to improvise a legal way to bring it back. Would covering the launcher in JB weld passify a DA if I get stopped with it on my way back. It would render the launcher useless. I have a muzzle brake here but just no way to install it.
Second question is do I need to file anything with the DOJ once I bring the rifle back? Thanks, Sammy

.22guy
10-26-2007, 5:40 PM
Well, I used a punch and hammer to drive out the pin. Then soaked the threads with Kroil with the barrel pointing down in my safe for a night. Then used a vice grip and it popped loose with minimal effort. Then it just screwed off with hand pressure. I saw on surplusrifle.com where they heated it with a torch.

Or worst case scenario, you could cut the grenade launcher off above the thread. I think that would make it non-operational. I personally would stay away from the JB weld thing.

bwiese
10-26-2007, 5:41 PM
STOP. THINK. READ. DO NOT DO THIS!

Do NOT directly take possession of it in AZ or anywhere else. This is illegal for a CA resident.

You must:

(1) use a CA FFL; you will otherwise violate Fed law on interstate transfer as well as CA law.

(2) the G/L should be damned well permanently defeated or removed. That means at least
a welded sleeve on it like InterOrdnance does. I wouldn't trust JB Weld as far as I could spit,
sorry.

Otherwise pay a smith in AZ to remove it before you have your brother ship it to your receiving CA FFL.

Grenade launchers are intrinsically considered destructive devices in CA and are illegal in & of themselves - without regard to their being attached to a gun. Even if you remove it in AZ, don't save/keep it.

AJAX22
10-26-2007, 5:50 PM
Bill, If he is an 03 FFL it would be legal.

another way to defeat the GL is to take it down to a muffler shop and have them weld either a small sleeve or a big glob of metal onto it.

but any muffler shop should do it for 20$ and every muffler guy I've ever met thought guns were cool

lawnrevenge
10-26-2007, 6:03 PM
I took mine off last night. Mine had holes drilled in it to render it useless. I decided I didn't want the extra weight and bulk. So i drove out the pin. put the receiver in a vise put a sturdy rod through those holes that were drilled in it and unscrewed it. I also removed the GL sights since it is useless. That involved driving out a pin with a punch and collecting all the bits. All these parts are now in a ziplock baggy, I doubt I'll even reuse them.

Why pay someone to do something you can do yourself with a punch, hammer, and lever?

Gator Monroe
10-26-2007, 6:11 PM
If the holes were around the Top of the GL (They were original ports) and that makes your Yugo an Early M59/66 (1967-72)

lawnrevenge
10-27-2007, 4:32 AM
If the holes were around the Top of the GL (They were original ports) and that makes your Yugo an Early M59/66 (1967-72)

:eek:

Ever get that sick feeling? Mine was made in 1969.

pullnshoot25
10-27-2007, 8:20 AM
STOP. THINK. READ. DO NOT DO THIS!

Do NOT directly take possession of it in AZ or anywhere else. This is illegal for a CA resident.

You must:

(1) use a CA FFL; you will otherwise violate Fed law on interstate transfer as well as CA law.

(2) the G/L should be damned well permanently defeated or removed. That means at least
a welded sleeve on it like InterOrdnance does. I wouldn't trust JB Weld as far as I could spit,
sorry.

Otherwise pay a smith in AZ to remove it before you have your brother ship it to your receiving CA FFL.

Grenade launchers are intrinsically considered destructive devices in CA and are illegal in & of themselves - without regard to their being attached to a gun. Even if you remove it in AZ, don't save/keep it.

You cant even take a C&R rifle into KA without having it go through some FFL first? Why not?

sammy
10-27-2007, 8:22 AM
I guess I will leave it in AZ. Sucks, I spent $30.00 on the muzzle brake, I don't want to spend another $100 on shipping and DROS. Not a big fan of the SKS anyway. :(

bwiese
10-27-2007, 12:19 PM
You cant even take a C&R rifle into KA without having it go through some FFL first? Why not?

Honestly, I am not sure M59/.66s are C&R. Someone can enlighten me.

taloft
10-27-2007, 12:28 PM
The rifle would have to be 50+ years old per California transfer laws. While still considered a C&R, the DOJ wants anything under 50 transferred through a FFL 01. I don't know about transfers across state lines without a C&R license at the very least. I was under the impression that interstate firearm transfers without FFL involvement was illegal. Since the rifle in question is under 50, this would be a moot point. It would still have to go through a FFL 01.

I should point out that this is my understanding but, it is not comprehensive by any means. YMMV

AJAX22
10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
The yugo 59 and yugo 59/66 are both C&R rifles which is why they are allowed for importation. They are not 50 years old, but they have been classified as C&R federally because of the historical significance or collectability (or somesuch reason)

An 03 FFL holder can travel to another state and purchase as many as he wants on his FFL licence and then travel back to CA with no further paperwork necicary.

There are two ways a firearm can be C&R, only one of which is because of age.The other is because the proper paperwork has been filed by a collector or museum asking that a specific firearm be evaluated for addition to the C&R list. There are limited edition MAC10's which have been ruled C&R guns even though they were made in the late 90's-early 2000's.

taloft
10-27-2007, 1:13 PM
I don't think the OP has a C&R license. I do. While California uses the the Federal definition of C&R, anything under 50 years old is required to be transferred across cali state lines via FFL 01 reqardless of C&R status. This is cali state law. This is why many people consider getting a FFL 03 next to useless in cali.

As a C&R holder I could drive over to AZ and pick up this gun. All I would have to do is enter it into my bound book and disable the GL prior to returning. Even if I could get the GL removed prior to shipment, I would still have to go through a FFL 01 to have it shipped to me because the rifle is less than 50 years old. It's stupid but, true. I could drive back with a truck load of them but, can't have one shipped straight to me. There are exceptions to this. Black Powder, CMP, Ect.

Since the OP doesn't have a C&R, he can't do interstate transfers without the use of a FFL 01 dealer. Of course, there are always exceptions to this. Black powder arms being one example.

bwiese
10-27-2007, 4:13 PM
Thanks, taloft, for clearing this up.

JHC
10-27-2007, 6:13 PM
Raise your hand if you have guy a "useless" 03