PDA

View Full Version : CA Gun Control [bill hearings] set for April [NRA email]

glocksmith
03-26-2013, 2:09 PM
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/3/california-gun-bills-scheduled-for-hearings-in-april.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Red Right Hand
03-26-2013, 2:15 PM
Can't wait. The sooner they get these bills passed, the sooner I can begin my new criminal lifestyle!

Glock31B
03-26-2013, 2:17 PM
Or the faster I will leave this state.
: )

glocksmith
03-26-2013, 2:21 PM
Depending on what happens, I might move too.

Moonshine
03-26-2013, 2:21 PM
I assume this means 80% builds must have serial number la or else you become a felon because a gun you built for your own use can't be registered?

boomer135
03-26-2013, 2:27 PM
I serioulsy cant believe this, this is just JACKed up...The balls of these folks...

Scratch705
03-26-2013, 2:28 PM
some of those are so far out there it is ridiculous.

and i'm just wondering, how would that whole registering your rifle work? if someone doesn't do it, are they doing to post cops at every gun range to check each rifle coming into the range to make sure it is registered?

Moonshine
03-26-2013, 2:30 PM
The most terrifying one is the guns must be locked at all times even if you're home. Of course if passed its a slam dunk to shut this one down in court because locked guns was ruled unconstitutional in both Heller and McDonald if my memmory serves me correct.

Going to be interesting to see what other implications the millions of new RAWs create or how they plan on banning lawfully possessed magazines without any compensation (also unconstitutional and not just on 2nd amendment or ex post facto grounds). Yep many court cases to come!

.30-06
03-26-2013, 2:40 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/994/foreboding-gandalf.jpg

I cannot believe what I am reading, and we don't even get to vote on it. l Seriously, the bulk of Californians have got to be the stupidest creatures to walk this planet...

TRICKSTER
03-26-2013, 2:43 PM
Note that every one of those anti-gun bills were authored by a Democrat.
Any gun owner that supports, contributes to, or votes for a Democrat in CA. is no friend of gun rights as long as their party authors this type of garbage.
The only way this will stop is for the Democrats that are gun owners to stand up and tell their party no more support until the party stops this nonsense.

AKSOG
03-26-2013, 2:49 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/no.gif

frankm
03-26-2013, 2:50 PM
I predict a huge black market

dunnigan
03-26-2013, 2:57 PM
Most of the dems supporting gun control including Boxer and Fienstein at the federal level would have been or their parents would have been lamp shades if it were not for boys with guns (assault weapons).

Red Right Hand
03-26-2013, 3:09 PM
Can anyone here offer speculation on when these laws would actually go into effect if passed? How long do I have to bury my 'assault weapons'?

Seriously though, I'm sure there will be many people who register, but I'd be willing to bet a large percentage of people simply won't comply. Interesting times.

doginmirror
03-26-2013, 3:21 PM
wtf :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:wtf

kaligaran
03-26-2013, 3:30 PM
and i'm just wondering, how would that whole registering your rifle work? if someone doesn't do it, are they doing to post cops at every gun range to check each rifle coming into the range to make sure it is registered?

They could do what NY did and setup a hotline with a reward.

kalimus
03-26-2013, 4:21 PM
I've been writing/emailing. I've even called a few times. Apparently they don't care. Not that it'll stop me, but it makes me sad to know it doesn't seem to be helping.

chris
03-26-2013, 4:25 PM
Any gun owner that supports, contributes to, or votes for a Democrat in CA. is no friend of gun rights as long as their party authors this type of garbage.
The only way this will stop is for the Democrats that are gun owners to stand up and tell their party no more support until the party stops this nonsense.

I believe you know the one member here that says republicans are to blame. but time and time again over the last 20 years or so better yet the last decade the majority of anti gun bills are authored by a demoKrat.

Librarian
03-26-2013, 4:35 PM
Can anyone here offer speculation on when these laws would actually go into effect if passed? How long do I have to bury my 'assault weapons'?

Seriously though, I'm sure there will be many people who register, but I'd be willing to bet a large percentage of people simply won't comply. Interesting times.

Please read http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=701762.

Short answer, ordinarily bills passed in the 2013 session would take effect Jan 1, 2014. If there is a date in the bill later than that, then that date holds; if it is an 'urgency bill' requiring 2/3 majority in both houses, takes effect when the Gov signs it / when the Gov allows it to become law / when the Leg overrides his veto.

TRICKSTER
03-26-2013, 4:35 PM
I believe you know the one member here that says republicans are to blame. but time and time again over the last 20 years or so better yet the last decade the majority of anti gun bills are authored by a demoKrat.

Yep, and if it was the Republicans doing it now, I would be calling for CA Republican gun owners to let their party know that they will not support, contribute to or vote for them until they changed their tune. I would not be making excuses like some of the Democrats here that claim to support gun-rights, but in reality, betray us all by giving their support and vote to those that would take our gun-rights away.

Red Right Hand
03-26-2013, 4:42 PM
Short answer, ordinarily bills passed in the 2013 session would take effect Jan 1, 2014. If there is a date in the bill later than that, then that date holds; if it is an 'urgency bill' requiring 2/3 majority in both houses, takes effect when the Gov signs it / when the Gov allows it to become law / when the Leg overrides his veto.

Thanks for the info!

atascadero
03-26-2013, 4:51 PM
I've been writing/emailing. I've even called a few times. Apparently they don't care. Not that it'll stop me, but it makes me sad to know it doesn't seem to be helping.

Yep, it's tough to stay positives but keep it up. Make sure to include Brown in those letters too.

We could be sparking conversations and maybe even second thoughts. If they pay with their jobs latter there will be no doubt why.

IVC
03-26-2013, 5:09 PM
This mess will have to be sorted out in courts unless Brown decides to veto a few.

There are still ammunition bills that are akin to AB962 which is currently stopped through a preliminary injunction, storage requirements that had been stricken down in the past and all sorts of taxes on a basic right that had been held unconstitutional in the past.

The silver lining is that the antis are throwing everything and a kitchen sink at the wall to see what sticks. As each variation is stricken down by the courts, the door closes forever. The more hastily these bills are drafted the better it is for us in the long run.

chris
03-26-2013, 7:00 PM
Yep, and if it was the Republicans doing it now, I would be calling for CA Republican gun owners to let their party know that they will not support, contribute to or vote for them until they changed their tune. I would not be making excuses like some of the Democrats here that claim to support gun-rights, but in reality, betray us all by giving their support and vote to those that would take our gun-rights away.

I agree with you on this.

evoevo
03-27-2013, 8:30 AM
Time to move. I just got this email.

Milsurp Collector
03-27-2013, 9:16 AM
As each variation is stricken down by the courts,

You make it sound like a certainty, an inevitability, a slam dunk. What is the won-loss record for California gun control laws being struck down vs. being upheld in the courts?

IVC
03-27-2013, 9:32 AM
You make it sound like a certainty, an inevitability, a slam dunk. What is the won-loss record for California gun control laws being struck down vs. being upheld in the courts?

Post 2010 we don't know much since most cases were "pending Nordyke" and most are still stalled. We did get a preliminary injunction against AB 962 (it wasn't a 2A-based injunction, though), and SB 249 was defeated before getting a vote.

What's been going on is a sea of challenges all over the country and a bunch of lower court decisions, some positive some negative, which are all being pushed up to the Supreme Court. When we get Supreme Court to say that they really didn't mean what they said in Heller in deciding one of the pending challenges then I would worry.

Remember, while all this political attacking and negativity is going on, we are about to find out whether Kachalsky and Moore will get certiorari granted and whether "bear equals carry."

IVC
03-27-2013, 9:41 AM
FYI, Alan Gura filed today a reply brief in Kachalsky case. In the introduction, at the end he states:

But most critically, Respondents err in claiming
that this Court can wait to address the problems
manifested below. Developments since the Petition’s
filing continue to prove that this decision, if left
unchecked, will accelerate the lower courts’ resistance
to Heller and McDonald.

This Court presumably decided Heller and
McDonald as it did with the expectation that lower
courts would implement the Second Amendment as a
normal, legitimate part of the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately,
the opinion below confirms the emergence of a
different reality in the absence of this Court’s intervention.

There is a separate thread on this, and the whole brief is here (http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/kachalsky/Kachalsky-Cert-Petition-reply-2013-03-26.pdf).

The point is that the SCOTUS is well aware of the games being played and they either say "Heller and McDonald mean what they mean," or they say "SCOTUS has become irrelevant." My money is on the former.

ArmyofMike
03-27-2013, 3:43 PM
I wrote them this morning..using every email account I had-which is 4 different. Don't know if that matters for residency, but at least I can gum up their email with my concerns!

Keep emailing and writing them everyone. There is a LOT at stake in the next few weeks! Our fight is not over in CA, that's for sure....

ArmyofMike
03-28-2013, 3:41 PM
BTT, keep emailing/writing all!

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

penguin0123
03-28-2013, 4:12 PM
I wrote them this morning..using every email account I had-which is 4 different. Don't know if that matters for residency, but at least I can gum up their email with my concerns!

I take it you haven't heard of guerrilla mail?

KIMBER8400
03-28-2013, 4:22 PM
This mess will have to be sorted out in courts unless Brown decides to veto a few.

There are still ammunition bills that are akin to AB962 which is currently stopped through a preliminary injunction, storage requirements that had been stricken down in the past and all sorts of taxes on a basic right that had been held unconstitutional in the past.

The silver lining is that the antis are throwing everything and a kitchen sink at the wall to see what sticks. As each variation is stricken down by the courts, the door closes forever. The more hastily these bills are drafted the better it is for us in the long run.

The scary thing is that even if it's vetoed by the Governor, it may pass if 2/3 of both senate and the assembly vote for it.

Vacaville
03-28-2013, 4:29 PM
No mention of SB 755, making misdemeanors prohibiting if they happened in a short window and one was while under the influence. It's being heard on 4/16 too.

Not in the CGSSA list, not in NRA-ILA. Are these people being thrown under the bus?

http://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/california/2013-2014/sb755/

kbenson
03-28-2013, 4:29 PM

If these were turned into laws, we would need to comply.

why?

1. They will eventually confiscate (finding you on the range and or using registration records.
2. You may end up with fine and or jail time.
3. They may come up with prob cause, get a search warrant and take the rest of your guns/ammo.

Many of you think this is a bit extreme, but think about all the asinine laws and requirements we have had to deal with thus far.

Perfect quote from the Borg -"Resistance is futile"

ArmyofMike
03-28-2013, 4:34 PM
I take it you haven't heard of guerrilla mail?

Wat dat? :cool:

Ford8N
03-28-2013, 5:01 PM

Thank you Republican Governor George Deukmejian for BANNING MILITARY RIFLES. :facepalm:

I predict a huge black market

There already is..... :43:

TRICKSTER
03-28-2013, 6:35 PM
Thank you Republican Governor George Deukmejian for BANNING MILITARY RIFLES. :facepalm:

Because living in the past does us so much good in the present. But if you must make excuses and point to prior bad actions instead of doing something in the present, so be it. Just remember that it was two Democrats that authored and pushed the 1989 AW bill. It was passed by a Democrat controlled Assembly and Senate.

Anyway, none of this changes the reality of what is happening now no matter how many excuses you come up with.

Ford8N
03-28-2013, 9:17 PM
Because living in the past does us so much good in the present. But if you must make excuses and point to prior bad actions instead of doing something in the present, so be it. Just remember that it was two Democrats that authored and pushed the 1989 AW bill. It was passed by a Democrat controlled Assembly and Senate.

Anyway, none of this changes the reality of what is happening now no matter how many excuses you come up with.

My point is, I don't trust any Ruler who wants to take away my Second Amendment Rights. R or D, both have proven to me to by Tyrants. I despise both political parties.

TRICKSTER
03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
My point is, I don't trust any Ruler who wants to take away my Second Amendment Rights. R or D, both have proven to me to by Tyrants. I despise both political parties.

Of course it was. :rolleyes:
Would you like to explain how your despising both parties will put pressure on the Democrats in this state to drop their anti-gun agenda.

Ford8N
03-29-2013, 5:34 PM
Of course it was. :rolleyes:
Would you like to explain how your despising both parties will put pressure on the Democrats in this state to drop their anti-gun agenda.

It won't. I have done the phone calls, emails, snail mails, spoke face to face with the Democrats and Republicans that represent me in both the State and Federal Empires. They still vote to take away my Second Amendment rights, both Parties. I am done.

heedless619
03-29-2013, 6:11 PM
Can't wait. The sooner they get these bills passed, the sooner I can begin my new criminal lifestyle!

I litterally lol'd!

TRICKSTER
03-29-2013, 6:15 PM
It won't. I have done the phone calls, emails, snail mails, spoke face to face with the Democrats and Republicans that represent me in both the State and Federal Empires. They still vote to take away my Second Amendment rights, both Parties. I am done.

Then why even post what you did other than attempt to distract from the issue at hand.:rolleyes: