PDA

View Full Version : 922r?

CSACANNONEER
10-25-2007, 9:07 PM
OK, I've got a couple of questions about 922r compliance.

First, if I buy/build a 922r compliant firearm and then, at some point in the future, a US made part fails, can said part be replaced with any replacement part? What could happen if a gunsmith replaced US parts with imported ones?

Secondly, I undestand that it is not legal to manufacture etc. a non-compliant firearm BUT, I can't find any law prohibiting ownership of a non-compliant firearm. Does such a law exist? If not, would'nt it be perfectly legal to buy something like a SKS with a folding stock (but no other US made parts) from a shop?

savasyn
10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
922r in the area you are asking about in #1 is all about parts count. They list 20 parts, if you have 10 or less you can do things that you can't legally do on guns with 11 or more. An example would be post 1990 AK clones. Almost, if not all of them started coming into the country with thumbhole stocks as they were then "sporters" and not AWs. If you want to put a pistol grip on your foreign AK clone, you'd have to lower the foreign parts count to 10 or less. There are kits that make this easy on an AK.
Obviously the assumption there is that you are starting with a foreign rifle. Note that ARs never had to deal with the thumbhole BS as they are American made. If you are buying/building a rifle out of US parts, you don't have to worry about this law, but there are plenty of others that you do have to watch out for, especially if you are building a semi-auto.
So if you have your US made AK and parts break and get replaced with foreign parts and the count goes higher than 10, you all of a sudden have a foreign rifle that better be "sporting" in nature. I suppose it is possible for that to happen, but I've not heard of any cases of people putting on too many foreign parts. I think that would probably be easiest with some of the HK models as US parts are hard to find and German parts are so common
Now if you are starting out with a foreign parts kit, you run into the same problem that all post 1990 things had and parts count could be a concern depending on what you want to do to it.

Make sure you are careful to NOT accidentally(or intentionally) build a rifle that falls under the definition of an AW here in Kali. Bad news if you do.

As far as ownership goes, if it was here and legally owned before 922r, it is grandfathered in. Most of those rifles fall under the definition of AW here in Kali, so they can't be bought and sold anymore anyway. I haven't looked into the SKS situation closely enough to offer you anything there. I do seem to remember that there was a big stink about them a number of years ago. I don't know the specifics though. Hopefully someone else will chime in and let you know what's legal with them and what's not.

CSACANNONEER
10-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I understand everything that you said. But, I still don't know if:

1) Once a firearm has been made 922r compliant by parts count, can the US parts be replaced with imported parts? I could see this happening when a US made part fails and a gunsmith has an imported replacement part that will work?

2)Is it legal to PURCHASE/POSSESS a firearm that is not 922r compliant as long as you are not the one who took it out of compliance?

oaklander
10-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Not sure about #1 - but it's not illegal to OWN a gun that doesn't have the right number of parts - just illegal to BUILD one.

That being said, it's easier and makes it easier to sleep if you always have the right number of U.S. parts in your guns.

I understand everything that you said. But, I still don't know if:

1) Once a firearm has been made 922r compliant by parts count, can the US parts be replaced with imported parts? I could see this happening when a US made part fails and a gunsmith has an imported replacement part that will work?

2)Is it legal to PURCHASE/POSSESS a firearm that is not 922r compliant as long as you are not the one who took it out of compliance?

savasyn
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
1)Physically, of course the answer is yes. Whether the rifle would be legal would depend on whether or not the configuration is legal as an imported rifle. Using the AK example again as it's so easy. If you replaced the required 6 parts with US parts the put on a pistol grip but then put a foreign trigger back in it thus bringing the foreign parts count to 11, you'd have just created a non-complaint rifle. If you took the same AK, swapped out the FGC(3 parts) and the stock set, but this time put on a US made thumbhole stock, that would also bring the parts count to 10. If you were to swap back to a foreign trigger, you'd still be compliant as you have not altered its status as a "sporter" due to the thumbhole stock.

If that doesn't answer your question, I must not be understanding what you are asking. I believe 922r was an attempt to keep certain rifles from being imported into the country, but as laws need to be fairly narrow in definition, gun makers quickly came up with was to reconfigure the rifles to get around the law. In most cases, adding compliance parts is all about getting back to the original "military" configuration of original design. If you've added compliance parts AND returned it back to the military configuration, and then returned the foreign parts count to 11 or more, you are no longer complaint and are breaking the law.

2)I suppose this depends on whether the rifle is still in the same configuration as when it was import or not. If it was legally imported in configuration X, then it will always be legal(in regards to 922r) in that configuration and should be legal to transfer and own(barring all the other laws the tend to regulate things that are often discussed in 922r threads.)

If we were in a free state and you wanted to by a thumbhole stocked AK still in its original configuration as imported, 922r does not factor in. Here in kali, with all our stupid AW banning laws, you pretty much aren't going to get a foreign made "military" configured rifle legally anymore.

Regardless of where you live, if someone else has taken our friend, the foreign made AK, and tossed the thumhole stock and slapped on a pistol grip without changing any other parts, it is almost assuredly in violation of the law and I would highly recommend not buying it.

Something that is in violation of a law is still in violation regardless of who made it. If someone made a featured AR with an open mag well here in Kali and you bought it, YOU'd be the one getting busted as you would be in possession of an AW.

922r violations aren't very easy to spot from the outside and in some cases require a decent amount of parts removal to prove that the changes happened so you'd be less likely to be hassled that in the example above. That certainly is no excuse to break the law, though.

Hopefully somewhere in there is the answer you are looking for. having done a decent amount of 922r homework, I can clearly say that that law and all of the items that support it are as clear as mud and open to A LOT of interpretation. What the hell does "as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes." mean???

ETA: I mean let's face it, blowing off a few hundred rounds in 5 minutes all the while doing your best Rambo Face is pretty f-ing sporty!!! :59: