PDA

View Full Version : Slightly different AR/P50/Mag question

savasyn
10-25-2007, 1:00 PM
I'm well aware of the rules regarding building functional rifles with either an open mag well and no features or a pinned 10 round mag plus features, but I still have a question about the following:

For a photo opportunity, can you lock down a P50 set screw on a featured AR and insert a non-functional (as in no spring or follower) 30 round mag tube and still be ok?
Heck, we could even pull the bolt and carrier to guarantee non-functionality.

Does this fall into the AW category and is therefore to be avoided, or is it fine?

Thanks!

PIRATE14
10-25-2007, 4:46 PM
I'm well aware of the rules regarding building functional rifles with either an open mag well and no features or a pinned 10 round mag plus features, but I still have a question about the following:

For a photo opportunity, can you lock down a P50 set screw on a featured AR and insert a non-functional (as in no spring or follower) 30 round mag tube and still be ok?
Heck, we could even pull the bolt and carrier to guarantee non-functionality.

Does this fall into the AW category and is therefore to be avoided, or is it fine?

Thanks!

Off the top sounds okay......but why not just buy a 10/30.....;)

savasyn
10-25-2007, 7:22 PM
Off the top sounds okay......but why not just buy a 10/30.....;)

It's for a one time photo thing so I'd rather disassemble what I've got rather than buy something additional that I don't want.

That certainly is an option, though.

thedrickel
10-25-2007, 8:38 PM
You could always "go to Nevada" for the pics. Seems to be somewhat common around here, along with the "That's a 10/30 mag and there's a BB in there, you just can't see it from this angle."

AJAX22
10-25-2007, 9:20 PM
I wouldn't do it because of the wording of that particular section of the law.

If you turned the mag upsidown with just an empty tube stuck in the gun it would hold a good 35 rounds and work as a gravity fed magazine... (actually sounds kind of interesting, I might try that on a featurless gun one of these days)