PDA

View Full Version : This may sounded crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?

asm_
03-23-2013, 1:52 PM
This may sound crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?

I recently came across a new piece of gun control related information I was not aware before. Taiwan (Aka ROC) is a small island country in the south east Asia. They have one of the strictest control law. Less than 4% of its population owns firearm according Wiki. I was surprise to discover that Taiwan requires their K-12 students to complete basic firearm training and plank off a few rounds at the range before graduating from high school.

This got me started thinking (which isn't always a good thing :)). Majority of anti-2a group are made up of people that can't tell the difference between clip vs magazine, ammo vs bullet. They are getting their information from Hollywood movie, which doesn't always portraying the most accurate information. If we learn anything from civil movement in the 60s, when most of us all agreed that all man/woman are equal regardless of the skin of their color, government got involved and integrated black in the white school (Little Rock, AK). The school curriculum begun to change ensure students growing learning the all are equal concept. 50 years later, we are in a lot better place compare to where we were before.

Imagine if we can do the same with firearm. I'm talking about basic safety training, how to hold a firearm, respect the firearm but not fear it. Of course, clip vs magazine, and ammo vs bullet. 50 years later, we will have a population that no longer fear firearm as the evil black rifle, and appreciate the 2A as all do around here.

I'll get off my soap box now. :oji::oji:

lisinopril
03-23-2013, 1:54 PM
In Vietnam, they do the same too...for all highschool kids.

CitaDeL
03-23-2013, 2:03 PM
This may sound crazy, but firearm training in high school curriculum?

Its certainly less crazy than medicating children and teens into near stupor and wondering why they have become violent, homocidal, and suicidal.

Tyrone
03-23-2013, 2:26 PM
Education concerning firearms is a good thing in my book. They should bring back Eddie Eagle in public schools. It will demystify firearms for many, erode negative stereotypes, and perhaps most importantly, teach people how to use and handle safely hopefully reducing accidents.

Rock6.3
03-23-2013, 2:48 PM
I learned to shoot,
1. At School
2. In the 6th Grade
3. As an elective class
4. Shooting bolt action .22 rifles with iron sights and using shooting jacket and sling
5. Inside the school cafeteria
6. In California

And it was considered normal......

Class was sponsored by the California National Guard, and was called the California Cadet Corps.

njineermike
03-23-2013, 2:58 PM
One of the hoigh schools I attended had a shooting team. The high school in the home town my family is in has an outdoor range on school property.

DartFrog
03-23-2013, 5:22 PM
I was on my high school rifle team, in Sacramento, if you can believe that.

weix11
03-23-2013, 5:28 PM
I don't think it's so much firearms training, as it is more preparing the kids for military service. I know Taiwan, South Korea, and China, all have compulsory military conscription. Then again, it's not like just because all the kids there know about firearms, that their gun control is any less strict.

prometa
03-23-2013, 5:32 PM
I learned to shoot,
1. At School
2. In the 6th Grade
3. As an elective class
4. Shooting bolt action .22 rifles with iron sights and using shooting jacket and sling
5. Inside the school cafeteria
6. In California

And it was considered normal......

Class was sponsored by the California National Guard, and was called the California Cadet Corps.

My experience was similar except the class was required, it took place in the school's basement rifle range, and it was Montana. (Public school btw, and urban insomuch as any place in Montana is urban). This was in the mid 90s too.

sl0re10
03-23-2013, 5:57 PM
Might want to check up whether the boy scouts are sill doing it and work to get it back if it has been edged out over the years. Better chance than the PRC education system.

delta9
03-23-2013, 6:00 PM
I attended high school in SAN FRANCISCO in the 80's and as part of the JROTC program we learned firearm safety and got to shoot .22 rifles in the school's basement rifle range

BigRobb
03-23-2013, 6:03 PM
My dad and uncle were members of the shooting team they had at San Juan HS waaaaaaaay back in the day. Target shooting with .22's. Back when common sense was a lot more common. It taught them not only how to properly shoot, but the respect needed when handling firearms. Both grew up to be successful, law abiding citizens.

john67elco
03-23-2013, 6:08 PM
At Fontana high in 1991 I was in jrotc and shot my first A2 at 29 palms. 2 years later I was shooting them for real. Funny thing was everything I did was marines be jrotc and devil pups but them joined army. No wonder I graduated top 10%. I went in with head down playing I knew nothing and never volunteered. Strat Worked great

bill_k_lopez
03-23-2013, 6:25 PM
Great idea, never going to happen. We cant manage to teach the kids English and math and you want the liberal hippies to teach them about evil killing machines?

Get real..

SmokieBear
03-23-2013, 6:38 PM
Did JROTC at Andrew Hill HS, learned how to properly handle a pellet rifle first then later in freshman year started firing 22 rifle. Great times. Learned how to properly handle a firearm and get down the shooting techniques and skills.

lilro
03-23-2013, 7:30 PM
Yes, it is crazy. They should start in elementary.

Ahimoth
03-23-2013, 7:51 PM
Keep trying to get my wife to open a private school (non religious) so we can teach kids instead of babysit them like they do in public schools. Of course more traditional courses would be my goal. Things like firearms, auto shop, machine shop, proper history and english classes, etc.
Still trying to figure out what is required and how to get started to determine feasability.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Tripeaks69
03-23-2013, 7:57 PM
in the Philippines, We have a compulsary Military Training in High School, (Junior and Senior) The Preparatory Military Training (PMT) in 1935 to 70's and Marcos changed the name to Citizen Army Training (CAT).

And in College/University, we need to take 2 years of ROTC (Basic) in order to get our Bachelor Degree. Others continue for Advance ROTC and take 2 more years or Military Training, 4 years and qualify them for OCS after they get their degree.

http://fourthyearwisdom.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/role-of-a-citizen-in-defense-of-state.pptx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

asm_
03-23-2013, 8:53 PM
Great idea, never going to happen. We cant manage to teach the kids English and math and you want the liberal hippies to teach them about evil killing machines?

Get real..

Well, allow black to vote was once a crazy idea. It has to start some where.

B

rootuser
03-23-2013, 9:04 PM
The JROTC still exists. This type of skill is available to students who want it in most places including San Francisco who re-instated their JROTC program in ~2011.

Cobrafreak
03-23-2013, 9:18 PM
I was on my high school rifle team, in Sacramento, if you can believe that.

What school? Rio Americano?

mcmikeblues7
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
If we do it with public schools it will turn into a why firearms are evil class.

asm_
03-23-2013, 10:50 PM
If we do it with public schools it will turn into
a why firearms are evil class.

Public school is where it needs to be. Besides, you are assuming none of the public school teachers believe in 2A right. I'm sure there are many public school believe in 2A right. I would even venture out and say there are some right here on Calguns.

I'm proposing shifting the CA political landscape in the direction of supporting 2A in 50 years. Up until this point, we are defensive. Trying the hold the ground to protect 2A. If we do not go on offensive and try to steer the populous opinion in supporting 2A, I would not be surprise see congress entertaining the idea of removing 2A from constitution altogether in 50 years.

We need to take a proactive approach and passing down our values and believes to the next generation is the only way to ensure 2A will survive for another 100 years.

B

pHredd9mm
03-24-2013, 7:14 AM
My high school in Washington state had a basement shooting range in the gym basement. Took a .22 rifle on the school bus to/from school. No big deal. A lot of the jr. high and sr. high male teachers carried handguns either open carry or kept in briefcase. Was a 10 minute process to get ccw from local sheriff.

From Sept to January, during various hunting seasons, most cars and trucks in high school parking lot had one or more shotguns or rifles tossed in the backseat or hanging on a rack in rear pickup window. No big deal.

In college (WSU, Pullman) we had a competitive ROTC rifle team on the campus, with an indoor range on the campus. The ROTC guys could bring their (operative) rifles home to the dorms for storage and cleaning. Several of the guys on my floor in my dorm had shotguns, rifles, handguns stored in their closets. Not a big deal.

How did we allow our 2A rights to be taken away?

SanPedroShooter
03-24-2013, 7:26 AM
My high school in Washington state had a basement shooting range in the gym basement. Took a .22 rifle on the school bus to/from school. No big deal. A lot of the jr. high and sr. high male teachers carried handguns either open carry or kept in briefcase. Was a 10 minute process to get ccw from local sheriff.

From Sept to January, during various hunting seasons, most cars and trucks in high school parking lot had one or more shotguns or rifles tossed in the backseat or hanging on a rack in rear pickup window. No big deal.

In college (WSU, Pullman) we had a competitive ROTC rifle team on the campus, with an indoor range on the campus. The ROTC guys could bring their (operative) rifles home to the dorms for storage and cleaning. Several of the guys on my floor in my dorm had shotguns, rifles, handguns stored in their closets. Not a big deal.

How did we allow our 2A rights to be taken away?

I went to a seattle area highschool in WA that allowed long guns at school if they were secured in racks or similar. And another were guys did gunsmithing in shop class. That was in the late ninties. Not that long ago...

CSACANNONEER
03-24-2013, 7:45 AM
It used to be common place in California public schools. Funny how there were less school shootings and less firearms accidents back then. Also, a member here once posted that he took a gunsmithing class at a public school in Los Angeles and he was REQUIRED TO BRING A HANDGUN TO SCHOOL and keep it in his locker!

Bosco2675
03-24-2013, 7:58 AM
Every boy, age 12, was given firearms training in school, in Minnesota. The all got a certificate from the state. The girls went to health class to learn about their plumbing and such. I think all kids should have basic knowledge about firearms, and learn to swim.

Dutch3
03-24-2013, 8:02 AM
It used to be very common and nobody batted an eye.

What has happened to our nation? :(

guns4life
03-24-2013, 8:03 AM
Used to be the Captain of my Army JROTC rifle team...by the time I got there it was high-powered pellet guns(shot inside the classroom BTW). The "old campus" had a room dedicated to .22 marksmanship, but that was a few decades prior. This was in S. Cali, I was surprised they let us shoot pellet guns even.

cmichini
03-24-2013, 8:39 AM
I attended high school in SAN FRANCISCO in the 80's and as part of the JROTC program we learned firearm safety and got to shoot .22 rifles in the school's basement rifle range

Of course now that indoor range has been repurposed as a day care center for students' spawn, and needle exchange.

butch952
03-24-2013, 8:52 AM
When I was in HS in the 80's we had a wildlife class that included hunter safety as well as cpr and first aid, there were guns and ammo in the class room.Every student learned to safely handle firearms we even had a show and tell day for students to bring there own guns to school.

disintelligentsia
03-24-2013, 9:21 AM
There are 41 states that are "shall issue" which means there are 41 states that may be receptive to such a course at the high school level. If gun owners were to push for firearm related classes in those states that are receptive to second amendment rights, then perhaps we can reverse the trend where liberals fleeing dystopias (like California) infect the political bodies of other states (like Colorado and Texas).

The libs have been indoctrinating the minds of our young for more than a generation. We need to be reaching the minds of the young through school. We must enact educational standards in states controlled by conservative legislatures that teach children about our constitutional freedoms and about the founders' intent that the federal government should be a government of limited enumerated powers. It may be made difficult because of liberal unions like the NEA, but it can be done.

Virginian
03-24-2013, 9:30 AM
Yeah, crazy...
"to preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them"
Richard Henry Lee, Representative from Virginia, 1788

dieselpower
03-24-2013, 9:38 AM
I had an after-school marksmanship course at my school. It got me out of taking a Phy-Ed class for graduation requirements. You could also take martial arts courses in place of phy-ed classes, that was at a Local Dojo. This was late 70's -80s mind you.

Rivers
03-24-2013, 10:39 AM
In the early 1970's, I actually convinced the Principal at Jesuit HS in Sacramento to start a gun club. He told me that I needed a faculty member (teacher) to moderate the club. It took me a week but I found one in our chemistry teacher. So there we were, a working gun club at a Jesuit-run college prep school, with rifles, shotguns and pistols occasionally on campus, regular field trips to the Folsom Gun Club too. And not a single incident, complaint or other issue.

Yeah, times have changed.

Commiefornia
03-24-2013, 10:50 AM
While it wasn't part of the curriculum a student could join the high school rifle team at my school and compete. I don't know if they still have it...probably not given the liberal wussy-fying of this country.

Commiefornia
03-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Forgot to mention there's a video of a Russian high school girl field stripping an AK47 (actually looks like an AK74) in what looks like a school auditorium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmfWZCY4GU

Brien
03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
No way! School Districts are already cutting sports programs, arts, drivers ed, etc. Not to mention the incredible cost of liability insurance if they could even get coverage.

I think learning a firearm should be done by the parent, like sex ed. The last thing I want is my child learning about guns in an immature environment with kids making jokes. It should be taken very seriously.

MFelixM
03-24-2013, 11:14 AM
I was taught firearm safety in P.E. class when I was in high school. I even got issued my hunting license through that class...

That was in Louisiana...

Brien
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
I could see how it could vary by region. I'm in CA and I've never heard of such a thing.

asm_
03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
The libs have been indoctrinating the minds of our young for more than a generation. We need to be reaching the minds of the young through school. We must enact educational standards in states controlled by conservative legislatures that teach children about our constitutional freedoms and about the founders' intent that the federal government should be a government of limited enumerated powers. It may be made difficult because of liberal unions like the NEA, but it can be done.

Could not have say it any better my self!!!

richard chese
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
My high school had a rifle range underneath the cafeteria when I attended. I got class credit to shoot .22 rifles

QWi
03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Absolutely not. Because then we will teach our kids how to kill using an assault weapon. Remember, with an assault weapon, all you have to do is pull the trigger and it goes blup blup blup.

:rolleyes::facepalm:

asm_
03-24-2013, 12:11 PM
No way! School Districts are already cutting sports programs, arts, drivers ed, etc. Not to mention the incredible cost of liability insurance if they could even get coverage.

You are correct that there has been a lot programs that were eliminated due to the state budget situation. Program such as drivers ed, car repair, etc. But after all these so-call unnecessary programs were eliminated, our high school graduate still can't read and do math any better than before. Perhaps we should bring those programs back to at least teach those kids something useful in life.

I think learning a firearm should be done by the parent, like sex ed. The last thing I want is my child learning about guns in an immature environment with kids making jokes. It should be taken very seriously.

No one is suggesting handing couple of rifles to kids and have them go at it. A rifle is no more dangerous than, say a table saw, if kids are tough how to use it correctly.

B

OleCuss
03-24-2013, 12:13 PM
If the government is going to require firearms training in order to possess or carry a firearm, this is where it should be occurring - in school.

This idea that they will teach you all kinds of useless garbage but you are on your own to pay for training related to a fundamental right - is crazy.

QWi
03-24-2013, 12:17 PM
If the government is going to require firearms training in order to possess or carry a firearm, this is where it should be occurring - in school.

This idea that they will teach you all kinds of useless garbage but you are on your own to pay for training related to a fundamental right - is crazy.
I honestly would have a small bit amount of opposition to using real ammunition in conjunction with a firearm when teaching high school students firearm training, especially 30 or so kids at once. I see how it could be a beneficially good idea, but I also see how it could go very, very wrong. Take for instance (and I don't mean to bring race into this--I'm not a racist--however, there's bad groups in every bunch) the minorities (as well as majorities) who are gang-affiliated; that could pose a serious problem. They could steal a gun, and use it in a crime, or even worse, a school shooting. That would not only make us pro-2A's look bad, but it could also create more gun restriction laws. On the flip-side, as far as school shootings go, I think that the problem could be easily be resolved by arming trained teachers and administration with firearms--and arming people with firearms in general.

asm_
03-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I honestly would have a small bit amount of opposition to using real ammunition in conjunction with a firearm when teaching high school students firearm training, especially 30 or so kids at once.

Of course, there are certain detail to be work out. But until the anti-2A gets their way to require ID ans finger print to buy even .22LR, this would be a moot point. Considering high school kids can easily obtain the ammunition from any stores.

Now, let's talk about the possibility of kids actually stealing a fully functioning rifle. I would venture out and say if any school can't manage to keep students from stealing something as large as a functioning rifle, they probably should be shutdown anyway. No point of wasting tax dollars on such poorly run institution.

B