PDA

View Full Version : "Gun-Control Laws = 60% More Gun Murders"

HHGT
03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
http://lewrockwell.com/franke/franke26.1.html

Americans are being bombarded with an immense propaganda campaign that says we need tougher gun-control laws in order to reduce the number of gun murders. The evidence is just the opposite. The states with the toughest gun-control laws have 60% more gun murders than the states with the least restrictive gun laws.

And that evidence, ironically, comes from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence – one of the nation’s leading advocates of tougher gun laws.

I consulted Wikipedia to find how states rank in terms of murders per 100,000 population. I found that information in a chart that also provided gun murders per 100,000 population, plus Brady Campaign scores for each state’s gun laws. A score of 100 would be the most restrictive gun law possible, and a score of 0 would be the least restrictive.

Intrigued, I decided to see how the states with the toughest gun laws compared to the states with the least restrictive gun laws. Following the "logic" of gun-control advocates, including the Brady Campaign itself, tougher gun laws should result in fewer gun deaths. Just the opposite was the case.

I compared the eight states with the toughest gun laws with the eight states with the least restrictive gun laws. The only reason I chose eight instead of the more popular 10 is because a number of states were tied for ninth and tenth places, complicating the math. But it was easy to compare the eight "toughest" with the eight "least restrictive," and that would work just as well to compare the results in the two camps.

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/5223/figure.jpg

Bottom line:

Average of 4.4 gun murders per 100,000 in the eight states with the most restrictive gun laws, as measured by the Brady Campaign.

Average of 2.8 gun murders per 100,000 in the eight states with the least restrictive gun laws, as measured by the Brady Campaign.

States with the most restrictive gun laws have 60% more gun murders per 100,000 than the states with the least restrictive gun laws.

morfeeis
03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Great read, thank you. DC wow! 16.5 per 100k, that should be on the news everyday.

Lulfas
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't get the point of making this argument and opening it up to direct comparison with European countries, who have much stricter gun control and a much lower murder rate. Seems silly.

socal-shooter
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks

swamp2
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Agree with Lulfas, this is a classic correlation not equivalent to causation type of argument. The vast majority of US gun violence is in large urban centers and is carried out with handguns, that is the fact.

HHGT
03-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Agree with Lulfas, this is a classic correlation not equivalent to causation type of argument. The vast majority of US gun violence is in large urban centers and is carried out with handguns, that is the fact.

But is illustrating "NO" correlation a bad thing? Because if all a study like this does is illustrate no correlation, then, doesn't that disprove the antis arguments just the same?

Lulfas
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
But is illustrating "NO" correlation a bad thing? Because if all a study like this does is illustrate no correlation, then, doesn't that disprove the antis arguments just the same?

I think it more likely shows that areas of high crime often try to ban guns, and it doesn't work in limited areas.

Stonewalker
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree with you HHG2. It is possible to prove no correlation, and the honest science out there does just that.

PoorChoiceofUsername
03-23-2013, 1:00 PM
Agreed but that doesn't fit with the agenda here. Much better to ignore the truth and push only what fits the party line. After all that's what the antis do.

OleCuss
03-23-2013, 2:01 PM
I agree that the OP statistics do not show that more restrictive laws increases the murder rate - or that less restrictive laws decrease the murder rates.

What it does show is that in these United States one cannot make a good statistical analysis showing that less restrictive firearms laws necessarily results in an increase in the murder rate.

My impression over time is that if you look at population density you start to get the answer. You increase the population density and you get a higher murder rate.

Southwest Chuck
03-23-2013, 2:09 PM
Humm... I wonder what the rate is (per 100,000) in city of Chicago alone compared to the listed States. Any one have those numbers? I think the rest of the states populace reduces Illinois numbers enough to keep them off the chart all together.

chicoredneck
03-23-2013, 2:23 PM
I think it more likely shows that areas of high crime often try to ban guns, and it doesn't work in limited areas.

I agree with this. I find these arguments comparing murders or gun deaths to not only be misleading, but can also be argued in favor of both sides.

Violence is very much a cultural phenomena. While I believe there are effective methods to show that guns can be an effective detterent of crime, those methods must compare areas of equal culture.

If we want to go there, Japan has very strict gun laws and a low murder rate. On the flip side, Mexico also has some of the strictest gun laws in the word, but is one of the most violent nations on the planet.

The UK, for comaprison, also has extremely strict and effective gun laws, but a very high crime rate, especially crime involving a present victim. However, some other European nations do not suffer this same high crime rate with equally strict gun laws.

All of this ignores one crutial question, what the government can get away with because the people do not have any teeth behind their voice - fierpower.