PDA

View Full Version : Utah guv dumps [unloaded carry without] CCW

vantec08
03-23-2013, 9:46 AM
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/state-and-regional/utah/utah-governor-vetoes-bill-to-carry-concealed-bill/article_35094504-aa20-5150-8773-a891a0906cfb.html

"As I've said it before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it," Gov. Gary Herbert said, noting the current system has not inhibited the ability of state residents to bear arms.

AAShooter
03-23-2013, 9:52 AM
Title is misleading . . . Governor vetoed bill to concealed carry an UNLOADED firearms without a permit. Kinda' misses the mark.

The Shadow
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
The governors reasoning makes no sense. If a person is stopped and detained because they are suspected of comitting a crime, they are automatically searched for weapons. If the person is armed, they better not be prohibited or they will be taken into custody for that.

Criminals carry without a license anyway, how does a license prevent that ?

Kid Stanislaus
03-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Title is misleading . . . Governor vetoed bill to concealed carry an UNLOADED firearms without a permit. Kinda' misses the mark.

To say the least.;)

PoorChoiceofUsername
03-23-2013, 1:15 PM

As did your post. A gun is considered unloaded in Utah if there's no round in the chamber.

AAShooter
03-23-2013, 1:22 PM
As did your post. A gun is considered unloaded in Utah if there's no round in the chamber.

So your point is I should have further defined what UNLOADED meant? The bill still misses the mark.

ll-Rafael-ll
03-23-2013, 2:41 PM
Why would anyone carry unloaded anyways? I see no logic in that.

safewaysecurity
03-23-2013, 2:45 PM
Utah has an awesome definition of unloaded. You can have a loaded magazine in the gun, just not one in the chamber. I carried openly in Utah according to their definition of "unloaded" cops never bothered me. Great state.

Ninety
03-23-2013, 3:49 PM
I like that definition .

njineermike
03-23-2013, 3:53 PM
But the rampant murder rate in Utah due to easy access to firearms and people carrying them everywhere has blood running in the streets.

Oh wait.....

Sorry. I was thinking of Chicago.

Luieburger
03-23-2013, 4:44 PM
Nobody wanted "constitutional carry" for unloaded firearms anyway. Pass the real deal.

AAShooter
03-23-2013, 4:59 PM
Nobody wanted "constitutional carry" for unloaded firearms anyway. Pass the real deal.

Exactly.

advocatusdiaboli
03-23-2013, 5:15 PM
Opponents, including the Utah Chiefs of Police Association, Utah League of Cities and Towns, and Catholic leaders, said the bill would present serious public safety concerns by eliminating the need for classes or background checks involving the possession of firearms.Don't you still have to go through a background check for all purchases? Possession never has required a background check—just purchasing a firearm. I've heard an LEO can ask me for my DROS paperwork and background check proof to show I had a right to possess a firearm. That would effectively be registration wouldn't it? Utah is defining a whole new area of crazy. WTF?

LRShooter
03-23-2013, 5:25 PM
No background check required for FTF purchase in Utah.

DavidR310
03-23-2013, 5:51 PM
Opponents, including the Utah Chiefs of Police Association, Utah League of Cities and Towns, and Catholic leaders, said the bill would present serious public safety concerns by eliminating the need for classes or background checks involving the possession of firearms.

First, why is the Catholic Church even in this State matter?

Second, isn't most of Utah, Mormons anyway?

fizux
03-24-2013, 9:24 AM
Why would anyone carry unloaded anyways? I see no logic in that.

Ask the open carry fools that paraded around Starbucks and got UOC banned here in CA.

CitaDeL
03-24-2013, 9:31 AM
Ask the open carry fools that paraded around Starbucks and got UOC banned here in CA.

1) Open carry is restricted, not banned.
2) Legislators, not advocates are responsible for passing legislation. If you take issue of your rights being curtailed, take it up with them, not those who exercised them.

PoorChoiceofUsername
03-24-2013, 9:47 AM

This X10. And it was pure attention whoring, not a rights issue.

CitaDeL
03-24-2013, 9:59 AM
This X10. And it was pure attention whoring, not a rights issue.

If it wasnt a rights issue, then why should anyone complain about it being restricted?

And assuming that we arent even talking about gun rights, 'attention whoring' would fall completely under the first amendment- So would you deny someone the right to say something you dont agree with? And what effect does that have upon you, when you say something someone else doesnt agree with?

jnojr
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM

YEAH, they shouldn't have done it, and then they'd still have the right to do it, the silly fools!

dieselpower
03-24-2013, 10:40 AM
more stupid "the View" type logic.